Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Ha! The classic you must be a union fan lol, that's low. 

What was it Mrs Thatcher said about personal insults?

In any case, my generation, as you have experienced with your own family, are likely to follow football instead.

Nothing remotely implied that you must be a union fan, the way you were talking about pit villages told me that you desire bigger and better places to watch this sport,  but you have got what you have got Tommy make your own mind up accept it and carry on, or adopt something better suited to your aspirations.

I will most likely be visiting Headingley this season, Leeds holds know surprises for me I had a factory quite close to an area in Leeds that makes Leigh look quite well to do, so don't give me all this sh-ite about pit villages, will you be reciprocating and coming to Leigh I will gladly buy you a pint or two, or is it below you?

10 minutes ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

No but we have as much right as those teams to be up there.

You were gifted a free pass into super league, You didn't win a place to super league by winning a championship grand final unlike the last 2 teams to get into super league

Just like everyone else Leigh had every right to apply for SL, and for them and their fans today is a great day. Any ire should be directed at the process put in place to select the 12th team.

At least they'll be the best dressed team in cherry and white next season.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

15 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

I was hoping for Fev, but pleased it’s a heartland club. Congratulations Leigh. 

I was hoping for Fev too, but not grumbling about Leigh getting it, nor would I have grumbled if it had been Toulouse. And Toronto beat Fev in last year's £1m pound game so they deserved their SL place last year.

Enough of the partisan expansion/heartlands borefest, it's a sport, as much as possible let's decide these matters on the field, especially as the criteria applied to the aspirant clubs have long ceased to apply to some of the clubs in possession of a SL place.

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

To precis it for you....

Leigh got the gig.

The world is ending for the expansionist.... leigh bring nowt.... no ambition... insular decision blah blah blah

Fev fans are happy and congratulatory... as are most fans from championship clubs.

Thats about it mate

Indeed it seems that way , I notice the Leeds fans , especially the ones who live further afield seem a bit ' miffed ' , fcuking tuff 

Definitely a safe decision, as some have said on here we are currently in strange times with the pandemic and as a result the panel have chosen the lowest risk option. I’m pleased for Leigh and their fans, if anything it shows that there is no hidden agenda against them, or any other heartland club. Realistically Leigh and Toulouse had the best combination of finance, facilities and existing team strength, however Toulouse does present an additional travel risk at this time and has no previous SL experience, whereas Leigh does have that previous experience.

Of the other candidates London has the previous experience and expansion element but Trailfinders is not fit for purpose in SL and the proposed Wimbledon ground share seemed to be announced as a last minute thing, which in itself may have suggested that the bid was not as well put together as some of the others. London also, along with York, may well have needed to do the greatest amount of squad rebuilding in order to have a chance of survival. Fev have worked wonders with their ground and seem to be a very well run club, once again their lack of SL experience, like Toulouse, may well have counted against them. York may well have been a case of wrong time, it just seems too early for them to have been taken seriously and Bradfords bid must surely have been the weakest, given their recent history and exodus to Dewsbury.

What this means for the sport long term is difficult to say. I would love Leigh to stay up so that one of the weaker SL clubs is pushed out of their comfort zone, however it will be a real challenge for them and I can’t help feeling that the whole exercise is purely a short term fix to get to the new TV deal, then who knows what will happen.

20 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

You were gifted a free pass into super league, You didn't win a place to super league by winning a championship grand final unlike the last 2 teams to get into super league

Your point being what, and we went up last time by finishing second in the middle 8s competing against 4 SL teams.

29 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

You hope a team will fail??? Wow.

32 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

For those who thought that Robert Elstone was going to bring more money in super league and get a better TV deal reality will hit them hard. Robert Elstone has just shown how clueless and incompetent he his

I thought an independent panel made the decision. 

Congratulations to Leigh Centurions. If every club in the system had to go through this process then they would be one of the top 12 candidates so full credit to them. I hope they give it a great crack next year.

I'm proud of the Knights efforts in this process and know that we're a better club for it. Fans, businesses, community clubs, political figures and even the Minster(!) have all got behind the Knights in this process and for that I can't thank them enough. With their continued support we will get there one day soon.

The Championship is going to be a fantastic comp in 2021 and one I'm really excited about! 

Archived