Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As several posters have pointed out, the Championship - and the other Super League applicants it contains - should (will) be a cracking competition this coming season.

As a lapsed former supporter of one of those teams, Leigh's promotion has rekindled my interest in a strange way and I plan to restart attending games.

Don't know if that's a perverse reaction or not but hey ho, roll on Feb/March 2021

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

if york or toulouse had got the nod i would have most likely got a skysports subscription for next season but leigh? not likely - unattractive unambitious turn off

You know, I cancelled Sky Sports immediately after the GF and had very little intention of subscribing next year, now I am going to have to get it back, so I suppose as far as Sky is concerned we have cancelled each other out, quite a balance don't you think, bye.

3 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Congratulations to Leigh Centurions. If every club in the system had to go through this process then they would be one of the top 12 candidates so full credit to them. I hope they give it a great crack next year.

I'm proud of the Knights efforts in this process and know that we're a better club for it. Fans, businesses, community clubs, political figures and even the Minster(!) have all got behind the Knights in this process and for that I can't thank them enough. With their continued support we will get there one day soon.

The Championship is going to be a fantastic comp in 2021 and one I'm really excited about! 

Gav, firstly, unlucky. 

Secondly, have the unsuccessful clubs today been given any sort of feedback on why their bid ultimately was unsuccessful at all?

15 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Definitely a safe decision, as some have said on here we are currently in strange times with the pandemic and as a result the panel have chosen the lowest risk option. I’m pleased for Leigh and their fans, if anything it shows that there is no hidden agenda against them, or any other heartland club. Realistically Leigh and Toulouse had the best combination of finance, facilities and existing team strength, however Toulouse does present an additional travel risk at this time and has no previous SL experience, whereas Leigh does have that previous experience.

Of the other candidates London has the previous experience and expansion element but Trailfinders is not fit for purpose in SL and the proposed Wimbledon ground share seemed to be announced as a last minute thing, which in itself may have suggested that the bid was not as well put together as some of the others. London also, along with York, may well have needed to do the greatest amount of squad rebuilding in order to have a chance of survival. Fev have worked wonders with their ground and seem to be a very well run club, once again their lack of SL experience, like Toulouse, may well have counted against them. York may well have been a case of wrong time, it just seems too early for them to have been taken seriously and Bradfords bid must surely have been the weakest, given their recent history and exodus to Dewsbury.

What this means for the sport long term is difficult to say. I would love Leigh to stay up so that one of the weaker SL clubs is pushed out of their comfort zone, however it will be a real challenge for them and I can’t help feeling that the whole exercise is purely a short term fix to get to the new TV deal, then who knows what will happen.

You have hit the nail on the head there will be few of stagnant teams, a little worried and I think a few of there fans are feeling a little threatened. 

A man who doesn't understand what's happening, has happened

Houles: I don't know why they call it SL Europe

Because it sounds good Sylvain, when you're in Europe and PSG are involved.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

8 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Congratulations to Leigh Centurions. If every club in the system had to go through this process then they would be one of the top 12 candidates so full credit to them. I hope they give it a great crack next year.

I'm proud of the Knights efforts in this process and know that we're a better club for it. Fans, businesses, community clubs, political figures and even the Minster(!) have all got behind the Knights in this process and for that I can't thank them enough. With their continued support we will get there one day soon.

The Championship is going to be a fantastic comp in 2021 and one I'm really excited about! 

Well done Gav, it's the hardest thing in the world to admit defeat and accept it.

2 hours ago, Scotchy1 said:

We know why. People aren't really interested in seeing Leeds and Wigan beat villages in Yorkshire and Lancashire.

See you completely turn it again, I purposely said in the showcase event being the GF which the 3 teams have contested the most against each other and gets the biggest audience, BUT it doesn't spread the sport.

It's quite sad really how you cannot accept it, you know it is true. 

4 minutes ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

You have hit the nail on the head there will be few of stagnant teams, a little worried and I think a few of there fans are feeling a little threatened. 

Sure hope so, as I said I will be cheering hard for Leigh from afar, one of the reasons I was sad that the whole Toronto episode ended the way it did was that I felt the top level needed a bit of a shake up and that maybe TWP would have been the club to do it, now let’s hope Mr B has something up his sleeve to make things happen there, as there are a few clubs who seem content to just jog along in the lower half of SL’s comfort zone.

2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I suppose it gives hope to the other town-based heartland clubs that they could be chosen in the future if they have a good enough application.

Andy Hanselman | Want To Create Great Customer Service? It ...

4 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I am massively uninspired, but understand the reasons why they were chosen.

I suppose it gives hope to the other town-based heartland clubs that they could be chosen in the future if they have a good enough application.

I just thought we had higher ambitions than this though.

I too am massively uninspired.The only positive I can take from this is Leigh are likely to be relegated next year and there is a decent chance an expansion club will be promoted to replace them.

Just now, Gav Wilson said:

It's not defeat, it's a learning process. 👌

Sometime the words we choose to help do more harm than good, my intentions were to show solidarity with a person making the right noises.

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I too am massively uninspired.The only positive I can take from this is Leigh are likely to be relegated next year and there is a decent chance an expansion club will be promoted to replace them.

Be you age Sir Kev, where on earth will they find an expansion side from now, TWP's history and fate will warn them off!

Wasn't bothered either way if we got it or not , felt York aren't ready , London look like they are rebuilding a team so would have struggled , similarily Fev , although they probably deserve it the most , expected Toulouse as IMO they along with us had the strongest existing squads , but in truth any could have got it with no argument from me , thankfully the Bulls idea wasn't real 

So will enjoy the season come what may , do an 11th finish and the Challenge Cup will do fine Dereck 😉

As has been put on here the Championship will be an interesting competition , I might try to get to a few games , or take in the ' Bash ' , good luck to them all , the 5 clubs above will all be challenged by Widnes and Fax and the other dangerous on their day teams like the Rams,Dogs and the Eagles 

I hope to be only playing one of you next year in the league 

There goes my previous assertion that Leigh would never get into SL except on the pitch 

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

See you completely turn it again, I purposely said in the showcase event being the GF which the 3 teams have contested the most against each other and gets the biggest audience, BUT it doesn't spread the sport.

I know it isnt,

The GF gets an outstanding attendance and fantastic viewing figures .8-10 times the attendance of the Million pound game, and about 3 times the viewing figures.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I seem to recall a lot of people being interested in a village team beating Wigan last time Harry 😁

Archived