Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

3 hours ago, Scotchy1 said:

So that was our commitment to expansion? 

For all the trials and tribulations the game, certainly SL, did the absolute minimum they could there. 

Off course they did, Intercontinental Rugby League doesn't work SL didn't bring them into the system, the instruction went out to every SL team to beat them and get them relegated but Toronto imploded themselves before the intention could be realised.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Congratulations to Leigh.

A truly momentous day for the sport.

How lucky are we to have our wonderful sport being run by such outstanding visionaries that sees us on the cusp of greatness with blue chip companies falling over themselves to get involved,with our international comp that is inspiring young kids the length and breadth of the country to take up the sport.

😂😂😂😂😂

There you are Dav, have you been on fibrillator since 12:30😉

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nothing remotely implied that you must be a union fan, the way you were talking about pit villages told me that you desire bigger and better places to watch this sport,  but you have got what you have got Tommy make your own mind up accept it and carry on, or adopt something better suited to your aspirations.

I will most likely be visiting Headingley this season, Leeds holds know surprises for me I had a factory quite close to an area in Leeds that makes Leigh look quite well to do, so don't give me all this sh-ite about pit villages, will you be reciprocating and coming to Leigh I will gladly buy you a pint or two, or is it below you?

I was probably born and raised near there Harry, as there's only so many inner city council estates in Leeds, so I know exactly what you're saying. Country bumpkins never like the big city do they? 😉 

To be frank Harry I'm not sure whether I'll be going to many Rhinos away games this year due to work, and as I won't have a car either will almost certainly not be going to Leigh sadly. But if you are in Leeds I'll take you to one of those scary places for a pint, or one of the student pubs if you'll feel safer? 😉

That said, please don't ever tell me to go watch Union again. 

37 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Gav, firstly, unlucky. 

Secondly, have the unsuccessful clubs today been given any sort of feedback on why their bid ultimately was unsuccessful at all?

according to FEV

The RFL and Lord Caine have offered feedback on all applicants’ applications, which the club plans to request.

I think people are conflating two different things. It seems clear that what was required was a club which could reasonably relied on to be competitive at short notice and while operating with less central funding than the rest. A short term solution to an extraordinary situation, and in that context I can easily understand why we were deemed to be the best option. Undoubtedly, it was a safe, pragmatic decision, but not an unreasonable one in my (inevitably and unavoidably biased) opinion.

What this wasn't, was licensing. Neither was it specifically about widening the rugby league's geographical appeal, simply because the conditions weren't present for that kind of process. 

Although ultimately I'm pleased my club has been promoted, I have conflicting thoughts on it because 1. I'd have preferred us to win promotion on the pitch, and 2. avoiding relegation will be much more difficult with less central funding than it would be the season after next with full central funding. We are where we are, though, and so we'll give it all we've got.

Commiserations to the other clubs. Each are a credit to the sport, and I for one wish you well next season.

1 minute ago, Bolton Leyther said:

I think people are conflating two different things. It seems clear that what was required was a club which could reasonably relied on to be competitive at short notice and while operating with less central funding than the rest. A short term solution to an extraordinary situation, and in that context I can easily understand why we were deemed to be the best option. Undoubtedly, it was a safe, pragmatic decision, but not an unreasonable one in my (inevitably and unavoidably biased) opinion.

What this wasn't, was licensing. Neither was it specifically about widening the rugby league's geographical appeal, simply because the conditions weren't present for that kind of process. 

Although ultimately I'm pleased my club has been promoted, I have conflicting thoughts on it because 1. I'd have preferred us to win promotion on the pitch, and 2. avoiding relegation will be much more difficult with less central funding than it would be the season after next with full central funding. We are where we are, though, and so we'll give it all we've got.

Commiserations to the other clubs. Each are a credit to the sport, and I for one wish you well next season.

Spot on , simple solution to a short term problem , all the nashing and outrage , calm down , you know our record 

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I think I will cancel my sky sports subscription as a result of Leigh replacing Toronto. I will keep my Leeds season ticket but have become very disillusioned with Elstone’s super league.

Could you let us know whether it is still cancelled in March?

The reason I ask is that we see plenty of self-important people announce that they will cancel Sky, yet the Grand Final returned another 350k viewers a few weeks back. So somebody is watching.

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I think I will cancel my sky sports subscription as a result of Leigh replacing Toronto. I will keep my Leeds season ticket but have become very disillusioned with Elstone’s super league.

I have just reinvested, Sky Q, multiroom, UHD the works - told them they will have a tight Yorkshire twit, with a lemon in his gob ringing to cancel anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

There is a disappointing lack of class on this board today. 

What's wrong with acknowledging that Leigh weren't your first choice but wishing them luck?

Because I must not tell lies? 😂

Only kidding I've said several times on here that I hope Leigh don't get relegated to stuff the clubs who've voted to give them less money

Archived