Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

RL isn't big enough to want teams to decline, suffer or go out of business. That has been the most galling thing about reading many posts, of the type you cite, on here over the last couple of years. Still the usual suspects will show faux impartiality and defend them to the hilt. Its a pity the lack of class argument wasn't applied when people were sticking the boot into other teams and the same people were defending that.

I hope Leigh are competitive, grow and get great crowds in Super League. God knows the game needs it.

Faux indignation and impartiality is annoying isn't it. Allows people to claim no opinion whatsoever!

Like I said I hope Leigh finish at least 11th and knock out a club who voted to give them less money.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Damien said:

RL isn't big enough to want teams to decline, suffer or go out of business. That has been the most galling thing about reading many posts, of the type you cite, on here over the last couple of years. Still the usual suspects will show faux impartiality and defend them to the hilt. Its a pity the lack of class argument wasn't applied when people were sticking the boot into other teams and the same people were defending that.

I hope Leigh are competitive, grow and get great crowds in Super League. God knows the game needs it.

That clearly is aimed at me, but it isn't true. I had many arguments with some Leigh fans. You're disappointment is clouding your memory, so I will leave you to it Damien. 

13 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Never mind that , have you moved us yet ? 😉

I see it like my car clock. If I leave it alone for long enough it’ll sort itself 😉 

Failure of humour check: I am joking...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Faux indignation and impartiality is annoying isn't it. Allows people to claim no opinion whatsoever!

Like I said I hope Leigh finish at least 11th and knock out a club who voted to give them less money.

Especially when they have been proven to be far from it! 

To be honest it would be funny if Leigh did stay up. I would love to see the plan of some of the bottom clubs of preserving their SL status, by getting rid of a bigger threat and making the replacement compete with one hand tied behind their backs, backfire. 

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Leigh’s ex Toronto squad ???

We'll see how the players who they spent 2 years telling us were nowhere near good enough for super league suddenly are till about halfway through the season they'll remind us they recruited them for the championship 

Just now, Damien said:

Especially when they have been proven to be far from it! 

To be honest it would be funny if Leigh did stay up. I would love to see the plan of some of the bottom clubs of preserving their SL status, by getting rid of a bigger threat and making the replacement compete with one hand tied behind their backs, backfire. 

That is basically my main takeaway from this 😂 could you imagine Carter or Hudgell's face?

Just now, Tommygilf said:

We'll see how the players who they spent 2 years telling us were nowhere near good enough for super league suddenly are till about halfway through the season they'll remind us they recruited them for the championship 

To be honest that Leigh team listed on the previous page looks far weaker than Toronto's. Yes there is a large Toronto element but its missing some of the better players. 

43 minutes ago, Hello said:

Sorry Harry, but the small number of subscriptions gained from Leigh fans is likely to be swamped by the number of people who are going to give up watching SL as a result of the events of the last month or so, myself included.  I think most people on here realise this even 8f they can't bring themselves to admit it. Enjoy yourself though 

I doubt that - there is nothing comparable to compete. It doesn't matter what teams are in super league, it's still far better to watch than the other sports. 

Yesterday was so bad I and friends ended up watching Exeter v Glasgow. 

Spare a thought for TO. Having followed the Auckland/NZ Warriors for many years, I know what it feels like to be playing in another country as a guest. In this case TO applying for a guest spot. There is a feeling that 50/50 calls on and off the field go against you. In fairness to the NRL, they have worked hard on the on-field side but any talk of a second NZ franchise is soon squashed with 'a no chance of that happening' attitude despite there being serious merit in such a move. 

The argument is a second NZ side would add nothing to a TV deal and I guess TO would be in the same boat. The fact that a second team in Brisbane or Leigh would also add little or nothing isn't the point. When you are an outsider seeking entry, there is a feeling the odds are weighted against you. 

One quote I read at a French forum was nicely balanced (translated):

There are valid arguments for not choosing the TO, and not just an anti sentiment. French, anti expansion.
Personally, I am very disappointed with this choice, which indeed does not make one dream, adds a club in an already very small perimeter, does not allow French rugby league to grow ... But hey, must be accepted with reason.

TO now must earn entry on the field and they have every chance of doing that. I'm sure in that endeavour we all wish them well. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

The bloke from Chasing Kangaroos podcast says it best...

Imagine if the NRL dropped the NZ Warriors and added Wentworthville Magpies... Super League did that last night.

That's a terrible comparison. Had it been Catalans it would have been closer. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The bloke from Chasing Kangaroos podcast says it best...

Imagine if the NRL dropped the NZ Warriors and added Wentworthville Magpies... Super League did that last night.

It would be more like dropping Perth (which they did) shock. And adding North Sydney Bears. 

51 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Here's what we have so far, in what i think will be their positions. We were already due to sign 3 more players (2nd row and 2 backs) but will probably sign a couple more after todays announcment.

1. Ryan Brierley/ Craig Mullen

2. Ryan Shaw

3. Iain thornley

4. Junior S'au

5. Matty Russell

6. Blake Wallace

7. Joe Mellor/ Jamie Ellis

8. Ben Flower/Nathan Mason/ Mark Ioane/ Adam Sidlow

9. Liam Hood/Matty Wildie

10. Nate Peteru/ Alex Gerrard/ Tom Spencer

11. Ben Helliwell/Jordan Thompson

12. Matty Gee/Andy Thornley

13. James Bell

Let us be honest—-that team is not even close to Super League standard. Maybe Junior S’au, Matty  Russell, and Ben Flower are of Super League standard....maybe. The rest are rubbish. They would have to sign ten more players to get a competitive team that could safely avoid relegation. But they don’t have enough money to do that. They should get smashed by every other team and are the clear choice for relegation in ten months from now.

The only silver lining in this fiasco is that the best candidate from a long term growth of the game point of view, Toulouse,  now have the chance to win promotion in ten months, with a guarantee of full funding then, and thus a good chance of keeping their place. 

Archived