Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

For those who thought that Robert Elstone was going to bring more money in super league and get a better TV deal reality will hit them hard. Robert Elstone has just shown how clueless and incompetent he his

Unanimous decision that Leigh enter Superleague.  Thst means everyone agreed to accept Leighs proposal.  How is that anything to do with Elstone? 

News just in: I just stubbed my big toe. I blame Elstone.

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

Can you tell me how that season finished for you? 

Finished 11th and then lost some very close games in the 8's(lost to a very try late try then penalty vs Wire and last minute try vs Hull Kr) before crumbling under the pressure in the million pound game. It was disappointing, but a vast improvement on 2005. We gave a good account of ourselves in 2017 and hardly embarrassed ourselves on the pitch or off it, averaging 6500 which was more than 3/4 other clubs that year.

Just now, LeytherRob said:

Finished 11th and then lost some very close games in the 8's(lost to a very try late try then penalty vs Wire and last minute try vs Hull Kr) before crumbling under the pressure in the million pound game. It was disappointing, but a vast improvement on 2005. We gave a good account of ourselves in 2017 and hardly embarrassed ourselves on the pitch or off it, averaging 6500 which was more than 3/4 other clubs that year.

Indeed , only 3 bad results as I recall , 2 against CAS who stuffed plenty that year , enjoyed every minute 

Tbh I think the meek efforts in Gateshead and South Wales were bigger missed opportunities than TWP, and the lacklustre London approach is possibly the biggest missed opportunity of the lot. I also didn't like the way Sheffield were tossed aside, but not sure that was ever going to succeed at SL level. 

TWP was an exciting gamble that ran out of money. 

21 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No it isn't , Toronto are on a different continent , you do know what a continent is don't you ? 

New Zealand is not in the continent of Australia, so in theory that you are trying to profess, both are expansion outside their respective continents.

If you really do want to play semantics that is.

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Unanimous decision that Leigh enter Superleague.  Thst means everyone agreed to accept Leighs proposal.  How is that anything to do with Elstone? 

News just in: I just stubbed my big toe. I blame Elstone.

The everyone in this case being the panel that that Elstone in part put together, that was the end point of the process Elstone put together. 

Its not really blaming Elstone. But this is an SL built in the image of Elstone. Which in fairness to him, is what should be expected, its kind of his job. 

But as the saying goes, with great power comes great responsibility. Where we are is due to Elstone's leadership. If it works, All hail Robert Elstone. If it doesnt, pack your bags.

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

New Zealand is not in the continent of Australia, so in theory that you are trying to profess, both are expansion outside their respective continents.

Haha Yeah but NZ and Australia have long and strong political and cultural bond unlike the UK and Cana...Oh

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yes , I know where NZ is , I lived there for 3 years , but it's still in the same continent as Australia , it is the equivalent of the Catalans , Toronto is the equivalent of a team in China,Korea or Japan , so when does the NRLs Tokyo team start ? 

4 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

Haha Yeah but NZ and Australia have long and strong political and cultural bond unlike the UK and Cana...Oh

@Scotchy1, don’t come into a discussion half way through and make a point against my quote that is irrelevant to the discussion.

Someone else questioned whether I know what a continent is. My reply was simply confirming that I do know what a continent is and further demonstrated that I likely know more about what a continent is than the person making the original query.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Tbh I think the meek efforts in Gateshead and South Wales were bigger missed opportunities than TWP, and the lacklustre London approach is possibly the biggest missed opportunity of the lot. I also didn't like the way Sheffield were tossed aside, but not sure that was ever going to succeed at SL level. 

Wales was an absolute disaster. So much success so quickly and we let it go to waste so quickly. 

Lets not re-write history Dave. We had a choice. Look at Elstones comments. They were much more focused on how he didnt think Canada would ever work than the merits of LiVosi's bid. 

We had a choice with Toronto/Canada, We chose not to take the risk. It was a choice the has to own

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , I know where NZ is , I lived there for 3 years , but it's still in the same continent as Australia , it is the equivalent of the Catalans , Toronto is the equivalent of a team in China,Korea or Japan , so when does the NRLs Tokyo team start ? 

New Zealand is not in the continent of Australia. You do know what a continent is right?

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Dave , I'd have had teams set up in the UK if I'd been in charge , even with my ideas for the lower tiers during licencing , setting up new clubs within the UK were in the plans 

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

@Scotchy1, don’t come into a discussion half way through and make a point against my quote that is irrelevant to the discussion.

Someone else presented the feedback that I don’t know what a continent is. My reply was simply confirming that I do know what a continent is and further demonstrated that I likely know more about what a continent is than the person making the original query.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick there mate. I was saying the UK and Canada obviously have a strong political and cultural bond like Oz and NZ.

Its a perfectly valid analogy

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I am trying to work out if you have survived a full lobotomy or if you believe there is a continent called Australia or  picking up on not using Australasia?

2 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I am trying to work out if you have survived a full lobotomy or if you believe there is a continent called Australia or  picking up on not using Australasia?

Australasia is not a continent. Nor is Oceania.

The continent is Australia.

Anyway, I’m off to work. Enjoy your SL with Leigh guys. I’m sure it will be a hoot.

1 minute ago, Scotchy1 said:

Wales was an absolute disaster. So much success so quickly and we let it go to waste so quickly. 

Lets not re-write history Dave. We had a choice. Look at Elstones comments. They were much more focused on how he didnt think Canada would ever work than the merits of LiVosi's bid. 

We had a choice with Toronto/Canada, We chose not to take the risk. It was a choice the has to own

The only rewriting of history is to deny they ran out of money. We had an 11 team comp for half a season because they ran out of money and stopped paying players. 

If you have any evidence of a decent bid from the grooming products guy it'd be great to see it, because it'd maybe clear some stuff up, but tbh every time he discussed it he seemed more keen on discussing Toiletries rather than his vision for his RL club. I found the Wire CEO's comments on why they abstained interesting. 

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

Australasia is not a continent. Nor is Oceania.

The continent is Australia.

Anyway, I’m off to work. Enjoy your SL with Leigh. I’m sure it will be a hoot.

It was last time , sure it will be this time 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

The only rewriting of history is to deny they ran out of money. We had an 11 team comp for half a season because they ran out of money and stopped paying players. 

If you have any evidence of a decent bid from the grooming products guy it'd be great to see it, because it'd maybe clear some stuff up, but tbh every time he discussed it he seemed more keen on discussing Toiletries rather than his vision for his RL club. I found the Wire CEO's comments on why they abstained interesting. 

Regardless, we chose not to allow Toronto/Canada to continue, it wasnt fait accompli and it was an option. 

Many clubs run out of money and get taken over and carry on with a new owner. This very year Salford just decided not to pay about £3.5m in debt and nobody cared. Hull KR unilaterally ended their season and everyone just got on with it. 

Parts of the game didnt want Toronto, thats why we dont have them. Whether it was the right or wrong decision, its a decision those in charge own. 

6 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Read my post , you can read can't you ? , You know what ' same as ' means ? 

New Zealand is not on the continent of Australia or Australasia, nor is it on the same continent as Australia. 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

RL isn't big enough to want teams to decline, suffer or go out of business. That has been the most galling thing about reading many posts, of the type you cite, on here over the last couple of years. Still the usual suspects will show faux impartiality and defend them to the hilt. Its a pity the lack of class argument wasn't applied when people were sticking the boot into other teams and the same people were defending that.

I hope Leigh are competitive, grow and get great crowds in Super League. God knows the game needs it.

Agreed it does. It isn't Leigh's fault they were picked, so why so much venom against them. If my team Featherstone had been selected I am sure it would have been the same, we are even getting stick despite missing out! Decisions made at the top of the game will never suit us all, my team have suffered in the past which has infuriated our fans, but we keep going. I hope Leigh put a good show up next season and those of us who were rejected this time should (Covid permitting) make the Championship a great competition next season with the best team gaining promotion on the field how it should be won. Nothing wrong with good banter and opinions, but for all the games issues and faults, we are all RL Supporters.

23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Indeed , only 3 bad results as I recall , 2 against CAS who stuffed plenty that year , enjoyed every minute 

Yep, was an unbelievable experience, particularly those early season Friday night games against Leeds, Sts and Wire. Just gutting that with some form of social distancing likely to be in place for at least some of the season that I won't be able to get quite the same experience.

Archived