Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Unfortunately Oxers old boy, there's no cutting off nose to spite face here. The way I wanted RL to go, isn't happening, that's unfortunate but nothing I can do about it. Life is precious and time way too valuable to waste it chasing lost causes.

Let the keep it local brigade have their game, and see where it ends up. I certainly don't wish RL any ill will or anything but I just can't get on board anymore. 

I'm sorry you've come to the end but coming to watch Salford would help especially so next season, and it's always more fun.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leigh. Leigh. They did an in-depth analysis of value-added to the competition, and then chose Leigh?

Look, I’m up for promotion and relegation, and if Leigh or anyone earns promotion then cool. But don’t tell me that if instead you appoint a club on a wider range of measures, what Super League is crying out for is a small town on the edge of Wigan. Really? It makes no sense from a brand & market positioning perspective, commercial value-added, reaching new customers, net audience growth for our broadcast partner, or even on a basic “local attendances” metric if history is anything to go by... 

Honestly, it’s just embarrassing. We will be semi-pro within 3 years with this level of strategic thinking 🙄

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Quite, but even then it still makes sense to look beyond yours (and therefore their) doorstep. Cumbria, Wales, the North East etc. It needs a bit of lateral thinking otherwise the academy will just be worse by definition 

So you want us to spend much more than the other local academies by asking players to relocate ?

1 hour ago, glemiln said:

Please elaborate the relation between the two clubs and the action inferred - thanks in anticipation.

Nothing sinister intended. Rochdale's application was knocked out of contention very early in the process, was it not?

I was inferring Bradford's application should have been dismissed at the same time.

5 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Agree, but in the meantime no Category 1 academy = no Super League place for me

Forcing clubs to do something about it to meet the criteria what ever that is.

You really are clueless 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK fine no problem, all I said was it was twixt between Wigan and St Helens, just that I was aware of a few lads who from Ashton who played for Blackbrook.

Went to school in Ashton (with John Duffy and Karl Fitzpatrick); it’s classed as Wigan to everyone who lives there. 

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Leigh. Leigh. They did an in-depth analysis of value-added to the competition, and then chose Leigh?

Look, I’m up for promotion and relegation, and if Leigh or anyone earns promotion then cool. But don’t tell me that if instead you appoint a club on a wider range of measures, what Super League is crying out for is a small town on the edge of Wigan. Really? It makes no sense from a brand & market positioning perspective, commercial value-added, reaching new customers, net audience growth for our broadcast partner, or even on a basic “local attendances” metric if history is anything to go by... 

Honestly, it’s just embarrassing. We will be semi-pro within 3 years with this level of strategic thinking 🙄

But it makes sense in having as competitive a team as possible , to make sure the other clubs have to work hard to retain their SL status , don't you agree ?

12 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I'm just saying what Elstone said.

Leigh are the 12th club. Elstone has said that the 12th club must bring some commercial value to Super League. Can YOU see any commercial value of having Leigh in Super League

Same can be said for cas wakey  salford huddersfield  do I need to go on.

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Please help me out here - SL has been going 25 years 23 of which without Leigh, which great brands paying huge sums have we attracted? (I will ignore the GCSE Marketing blurb though) Indeed the mighty HKR can't even attract someone to let Hudgell walk so he can have a decent holiday with what cash he has left.

If school doesn't get closed again you will learn about accounts, if you are making money and dramatically increasing cash in the bank it tends to be a good sign of a successful business - that was one huge tick in the process, the COVID risk went against TO (my pick btw) and Bradford are really a Newco that needs to prove they can survive (but should be a shoe in when they do so)

A big tip I always gave my sales force ''Don't be embarrassed  of picking low hanging fruit'', a tap in from 2 yards means just as much as 30 yard curler.

12 hours ago, Johnoco said:

As I have said, I don’t have anything against Leigh and know fine well that the decision can be justified using whatever criteria they choose. 

My personal view is that I have no interest in following a game with such a small minded mentality. 

I agree bring back franchising get get rid of the deadwood cas wakey salford hkr get some teams in with a bit of ambition like fev Toulouse york.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Intersting to see the link to the Warriors recent influx of scholarship awards, out of the 17 signed there are only 2 from clubs actually in Wigan a third in Ashton I don't know whether you are aware of the geography of the area is twixt between Wigan and St Helens, whilst not being relevant to anything in particular does it say that Wigan's amatuer scene well thought of being the hub of developing future player's is somewhat slipping.

If Leigh was awarded an academy licence and the 7 lads Wigan have signed from the Leigh clubs or future lads like them could be persuaded/enticed/cajoled to stay with their hometown club and maybe also mop up some of the others locally that go elsewhere it could be rewarding.

I wouldn't underestimate Mr Beaumont's perseverance and abillity to make Leigh an attractive alternative to some of the local bigger clubs for these lads given the opportunity, but the bump in the road at present is a future for the club in SL, the method and way Leigh have arrived in SL would not have been my way of getting there as I have stated on numerous occasions, I only hope we can make some telling signings in the short time available.

Not sure you could read too much into where the scholarship players come from based on a year or even just a few years. There was a time when Wigan just seemed to sign about 10 players from St Pats and St Jude's each season and that was the scholarship done. I think there's a reasonable argument that was more a relationship of convenience between Wigan and the amateur clubs than a sign that those clubs were necessarily any better at developing young players. Particularly when you read about players who played for St Pats but actually started at another amateur side. When Josh Charnley signed for Wigan he was one of the many to sign from St Pats. He joined St Pats from Chorley Panthers though. Sam Tomkins was the same. Jack Hughes joined St Judes just before signing for Wigan having played all his life at Golborne Parkside. Lots of players joined St Pats from other sides because that's the club you played for if you wanted to be scouted by Wigan. Now that scouts look further afield there's no reason for the amateurs to all join one team.

23 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Not sure you could read too much into where the scholarship players come from based on a year or even just a few years. There was a time when Wigan just seemed to sign about 10 players from St Pats and St Jude's each season and that was the scholarship done. I think there's a reasonable argument that was more a relationship of convenience between Wigan and the amateur clubs than a sign that those clubs were necessarily any better at developing young players. Particularly when you read about players who played for St Pats but actually started at another amateur side. When Josh Charnley signed for Wigan he was one of the many to sign from St Pats. He joined St Pats from Chorley Panthers though. Sam Tomkins was the same. Jack Hughes joined St Judes just before signing for Wigan having played all his life at Golborne Parkside. Lots of players joined St Pats from other sides because that's the club you played for if you wanted to be scouted by Wigan. Now that scouts look further afield there's no reason for the amateurs to all join one team.

It does now as Miners are not a drop club for Wigan Scholarship like Pats used to be

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

But it makes sense in having as competitive a team as possible , to make sure the other clubs have to work hard to retain their SL status , don't you agree ?

No. That’s the very definition of tactics versus strategy: Competitive squad in 2021 (which Leigh still don’t have anyway really) is the least important factor in a strategic decision - plus it’s not too late to improve the clear best long-term option’s squad anyway.

We need to be planning for the mid-term, and even then with the long-term objective in mind. Not how many points the new club might drop in week 2 against St Helens 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Please help me out here - SL has been going 25 years 23 of which without Leigh, which great brands paying huge sums have we attracted? (I will ignore the GCSE Marketing blurb though) Indeed the mighty HKR can't even attract someone to let Hudgell walk so he can have a decent holiday with what cash he has left.

If school doesn't get closed again you will learn about accounts, if you are making money and dramatically increasing cash in the bank it tends to be a good sign of a successful business - that was one huge tick in the process, the COVID risk went against TO (my pick btw) and Bradford are really a Newco that needs to prove they can survive (but should be a shoe in when they do so)

A big tip I always gave my sales force ''Don't be embarrassed  of picking low hanging fruit'', a tap in from 2 yards means just as much as 30 yard curler.

Rovers got promoted. I dealt with that scenario in the first post.

Leigh isn’t low hanging fruit for your sales team mate, it’s that client who your junior sales bloke has always said are interested and about to close any day now, but then never actually deliver you a big deal. Looks good in the pipeline tracker, but ultimately you’re kidding yourself so better accepting reality, scrub it off the whiteboard and focus on creating something new even if it reduces the short-term “inside the funnel” metric you have to report to your boss next Monday. 

Archived