Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

17 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Leigh are at the bottom of my list of choices to get in.

At least with Bradford there is a story to sell to the wider sporting public (former giants of SL are back etc etc)

With Leigh I'm struggling to think of any positive spin on them being readmitted, sorry Leigh fans.

Train station.

An army of film critics.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve no problem with the outcome of this, as long as we get the team who are best set for the place based off the criteria. That, for me, most certainly isn’t Bradford. I’d probably have them last in the running for the place based off how I’m viewing the criteria list, though the whole “the criteria goes out of the window if we want it too” is the bit that probably favours Bradford. 

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Nothing will attract Sky viewers like Bradford getting thumped 60-0 in the murkiness of a crumbling Odsal.

Give over, you'll be watching just so you could say "Told you so!"

I must admit I didn't think it was possible to become more divided but we got there and being factional got us there.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

14 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Leigh are at the bottom of my list of choices to get in.

At least with Bradford there is a story to sell to the wider sporting public (former giants of SL are back etc etc)

With Leigh I'm struggling to think of any positive spin on them being readmitted, sorry Leigh fans.

Leigh's strength in this process is being solid across the board. Of all the criteria categories A-F listed in the promotion document they don't come first in any, but they are usually 2nd or 3rd (except for commercial market). That could and I'm sure will be spun as a strength - though it does by definition automatically mean accepting that other clubs will be better in the specific areas themselves.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Leigh's strength in this process is being solid across the board. Of all the criteria categories A-F listed in the promotion document they don't come first in any, but they are usually 2nd or 3rd (except for commercial market). That could and I'm sure will be spun as a strength - though it does by definition automatically mean accepting that other clubs will be better in the specific areas themselves.

I'd agree. Promote them now!!🤣🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

That’s not telling me what Leigh offer though is it

Looking at Leigh’s last season in Super League (2017) and Bradford’s (2014), Leigh had the higher average attendance, with their highest attendance that year being higher than the highest at Huddersfield, Wakefield, Widnes and Salford. Leigh most certainly add a decent attendance. 

Their ground and facilities are better than that of Bradford’s (either Dewsbury or Odsal), too. 

They offer more to Super League than Bradford, currently. Leigh are closer to being full-time than Bradford and thus, are, slightly, less likely to finish rock bottom than Bradford would. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Looking at Leigh’s last season in Super League (2017) and Bradford’s (2014), Leigh had the higher average attendance, with their highest attendance that year being higher than the highest at Huddersfield, Wakefield, Widnes and Salford. Leigh most certainly add a decent attendance. 

Their ground and facilities are better than that of Bradford’s (either Dewsbury or Odsal), too. 

They offer more to Super League than Bradford, currently. Leigh are closer to being full-time than Bradford and thus, are, slightly, less likely to finish rock bottom than Bradford would. 

So they’re a bit better placed than Bradford (I would still argue Bradford being promoted is a better ‘story’)

I’m asking what’s the advantage of Leigh being promoted, not what’s  the advantage of Leigh being promoted over Bradford (who I have stated I don’t think should get in)

9 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Give over, you'll be watching just so you could say "Told you so!"

I must admit I didn't think it was possible to become more divided but we got there and being factional got us there.

Apologies, I hadn't meant to come across as divisional as I acknowledged in a thread the damage that has done to the game post-licencing and indeed wider society post-Brexit in particular. Yes I would be watching along with most others on this forum, but that's more out of a fierce loyalty to the game and maybe a touch of morbid fascination more than anything else. The neutral viewer that we're so desperate to attract isn't going to stick around for long when turning on to see a once iconic club getting stuffed playing in a crumbling wreck with a pitch that has to have carpet over the corners of the in-goal area.

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

That’s not telling me what Leigh offer though is it

First off, let me say that I'd have kept Toronto in. On their removal, we should have stuck with the expansion theme and automatically promoted Toulouse or London. Still, we're stuck with this polarising vanity parade, so in that spirit I would say that Leigh offer an already competitive full-time team, world-class facilities, a proven core support, private financing and, if Bradford can use a 'recovering giant' narrative, then I don't see why we can't go down the route of 'small town punching above its weight' and emphasise just how central the club is to the local community.

In many ways I'd rather Super League just had a plan and made their choice - as unpopular as it may be or otherwise - and state their reasons for it rather than creating this charade.

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Apologies, I hadn't meant to come across as divisional as I acknowledged in a thread the damage that has done to the game post-licencing and indeed wider society post-Brexit in particular. Yes I would be watching along with most others on this forum, but that's more out of a fierce loyalty to the game and maybe a touch of morbid fascination more than anything else. The neutral viewer that we're so desperate to attract isn't going to stick around for long when turning on to see a once iconic club getting stuffed playing in a crumbling wreck with a pitch that has to have carpet over the corners of the in-goal area.

First off, let me say that I'd have kept Toronto in. On their removal, we should have stuck with the expansion theme and automatically promoted Toulouse or London. Still, we're stuck with this polarising vanity parade, so in that spirit I would say that Leigh offer an already competitive full-time team, world-class facilities, a proven core support, private financing and, if Bradford can use a 'recovering giant' narrative, then I don't see why we can't go down the route of 'small town punching above its weight' and emphasise just how central the club is to the local community.

In many ways I'd rather Super League just had a plan and made their choice - as unpopular as it may be or otherwise - and state their reasons for it rather than creating this charade.

I agree with much of that, I’m not on some kind of Anti Leigh crusade or anything, as you say this whole process seems a bit daft.

I’m 50/50 on Toronto I don’t think they were the saviours of Super League like some made out though but the team replacing them has to offer something above and beyond what we already have IMO

Although without being exempt from relegation the new side is already just being set up to fail

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

No a broad range of forum users will be typing the word ridiculous,because thats what accepting a basket case like Bradford would be.

Well for once we agree on something Dav, would this sort of what would only suggest unequal treatment illegal towards Nigel Wood should Bradford get chosen actually be legal, could it be challenged if any club really wanted it that much and could put up a much better all round application of things which are actually tangible and can be acconted for.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

I agree with much of that, I’m not on some kind of Anti Leigh crusade or anything, as you say this whole process seems a bit daft.

I’m 50/50 on Toronto I don’t think they were the saviours of Super League like some made out though but the team replacing them has to offer something above and beyond what we already have IMO

Although without being exempt from relegation the new side is already just being set up to fail

Without turning it in to a Toronto thread, they certainly went the wrong way about things in terms of not looking after the players wages (as understandable as it may have been to an extent with the lack of furlough etc), but having been over there for the Leigh game in 2018 and seen first hand the enthusiasm for RL over there, I just feel it was far too big an opportunity for the game as a whole to be just cast aside at the best of times, never mind in the midst of a pandemic when surely any shortcomings may have been overlooked to a certain extent.

The lack of protection from relegation may certainly make promotion a poisoned chalice if Bradford or York get the nod, but I'd fully expect Leigh to more than compete and I'm sure Toulouse or London would give it a decent fist as well, while Fev would probably depend on how they'd  cope without their dual reg options from Leeds. I think granting exemptions at this stage might be a first step to pulling up the drawbridge which personally I don't feel is an option while we only have a 12 team top tier.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

With the capacity requirement cut from 12,000 to 5,000 then I would suspect they'd only spend the money required to open the main stand (4,890 according to Wiki) and the hospitality suites behind the sticks and leave the terracing to rot.

What about the much lauded derby with Leeds with only 4,890 allowed in, oh silly me forgot Away fans don't matter!

19 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

So they’re a bit better placed than Bradford (I would still argue Bradford being promoted is a better ‘story’)

I’m asking what’s the advantage of Leigh being promoted, not what’s  the advantage of Leigh being promoted over Bradford (who I have stated I don’t think should get in)

The same points remain. They’re a club with good facilities, a decent squad and one with decent appeal to players given some of the names they’ve attracted over the past five or so years and one with good crowds. 

Leigh’s inclusion certainly isn’t going to see a phenomenal uptake in Sky boxes across the U.K, it’s not going to be slapped all over the back pages of National papers, nor is it going to make any blue chip companies want to throw money at Rugby League but nobody who is going to get promoted are going to do any of those things. Certainly a couple of clubs could offer slightly different things but in reality they’ll all offering about the same thing on and off the pitch. 

37 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Totally agree, promote Toulouse - please.

35 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

None of that is true, Leigh should be nowhere being promoted.

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I hope they are a success if it is

They seem to be something of a basket case but you can't argue with the fact it's a city of half a million with nothing but a rubbish soccer team as an alternative. Lots of existing interest already and any success could translate to a large scale audience/youth interest 

Remind me again why they couldn't play games at Valley parade? 

City don't want them there.

Bulls fans hate the ground and the area.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Take my own club out and its TO and Fev, either one makes it easier to win promotion in 2021. Bradford would possibly be the end of my interest in RL as it is, removing P&R without 2 x 10 would be the other ending.

This must be about the tenth thing that you have promised to walk away from the game if it happens Sweaty. I'm surprised you're still here.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived