Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

Absolutely the correct decision in the context of what they were trying to achieve. Out of all the applicants Leigh were the only club that could put together a competitive team on the funding available.

York & Fev will be disappointed but trying to compete in SL on half funding would have been impossible and probably would have done them more harm than good in the long term.

London and Toulouse obviously have potential but in London’s case they have had a fair few opportunities to realise it and haven’t managed it so far. Toulouse may have been too much of a gamble with COVID etc and this decision may well be a blessing for them in that they must now be favourites to win automatic promotion with full funding and time to gear up.

I don’t think Bradford were ever serious contenders, it was an agenda being pushed by the likes of that idiot Shaw who writes for LE, but without much substance or evidence to support it.

Overall Leigh are entirely the correct choice to fix the short term problem. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Congratulations to Leigh, their chairman and supporters. I refuse to join in the Leigh bashing on this thread.- Good luck to you next season.

I confess I am surprised the Bulls were not promoted as the smoke signals coming out seemed to suggest that, but then it's not the first time I have got a Rugby League prediction wrong.😳

I'm not sure there's much Leigh bashing.

Some RFL bashing and some regret at the situation and the game's limited options.

But I quite like Wigan - and repeating my jokes until people want to stab me - so you'll not see any bashing of a rugby club from that area from me.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Dont be stupid.  There are 2 teams in Hull.  There are three teams in Wakefield.  You cannot click your fingers to magic up teams from thin air.

Not to speak for anyone else but I think the point being made is that the reason we get this massive announcement cut for adverts and less time than the 2nd tier european football competition or an RU world cup in 3 years time is that the wider public dont really care about those differences. 

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Dont be stupid.  There are 2 teams in Hull.  There are three teams in Wakefield.  You cannot click your fingers to magic up teams from thin air.

I’m not being anti-south, but some people are from there and can’t be expected to keep up with important pie crust related differences in the glorious north.

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The teams are there and they applied. There is no need to magic teams up from anywhere.

Its just all very meh. I'm a Fev fan and im glad it wasnt us. I want the joy of actually winning promotion through, crazy as it sounds, earning it.

Overall, its just very boring. There's nowt to get excited about as there clearly isnt a plan, pre or post Covid. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

16 minutes ago, M j M said:

What needs to be urgently managed is the message being sent to expansion areas and potential investors and sponsors for whom this decision at face value is deeply regressive.

Hopefully London, York and Toulouse can pull themselves together and win promotion on the field next year - which is how it should be in sport

London is the youngest of those expansion teams being a mere 38 years old.

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

"Competitive team" stated as the primary reason, despite Fev making the championship final last year, London being most recently relegated and Toulouse leading the championship at the time of shut down

Well York was up there as the fans favourite and they posted 0 - 4, along with Toulouse Leigh had a 100% return in the Championship also at the time of Shutdown!

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

"Competitive team" stated as the primary reason, despite Fev making the championship final last year, London being most recently relegated and Toulouse leading the championship at the time of shut down

Toulouse were one of a few teams to have a 100% record when the season shut down, so not sure that's a particularly valid criteria.

Not sure why they didn't just offer it to London as soon as Toronto were kicked out though.

Can anybody answer me the following 3 questions?

1.How was the Leigh academy doing in the academy league when the season was shut down?

2.How many new fans to the game are Leigh estimated to bring in?

3.How many new sponsors to the game are expected to come on board now that Leigh has been confirmed as the 12th club Super League?

Congratulations to Leigh.

Now we have structures sorted, I hope as sport we can really kick on next year and deliver a great domestic season (and perhaps be one of the first team sports to benefit from life being close to normal) and, most importantly, a spectacular World Cup.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well York was up there as the fans favourite and they posted 0 - 4, along with Toulouse Leigh had a 100% return in the Championship also at the time of Shutdown!

And Fev

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

York are undoubtedly a feelgood club on the up, so no surprises there.

7 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Toulouse were one of a few teams to have a 100% record when the season shut down, so not sure that's a particularly valid criteria.

Not sure why they didn't just offer it to London as soon as Toronto were kicked out though.

The normal protocol would be to give the prize to the runner up not the team coming down, if you were basing it on 2019 on field performance.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

5 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Can anybody answer me the following 3 questions?

1.How was the Leigh academy doing in the academy league when the season was shut down?

2.How many new fans to the game are Leigh estimated to bring in?

3.How many new sponsors to the game are expected to come on board now that Leigh has been confirmed as the 12th club Super League?

Can you answer all three of those questions for any of the six clubs to apply?

Congrats Leigh.  Looking forward to visiting the LSV once again.  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Whilst choosing Toulouse was my preference, I have some sympathy for the game choosing a safer option to play at a time when the season is likely to still be affected by Covid. 2021 could still pose a lot of travel problems, maybe for much of the season, who knows?

13 minutes ago, Derwent said:

r. Toulouse may have been too much of a gamble with COVID etc 

It makes me laugh all this nonsense about touiouse covid  travel restrictions and SL remind me is the championship a covid free zone  

Just now, Tex Evans Thigh said:

The normal protocol would be to give the prize to the runner up not the team coming down, if you were basing it on 2019 on field performance.

Not sure there is a normal protocol for these circumstances though. When has a runner up been given a team's place, rather than a relegated team get a reprieve?

Archived