Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

I'm fine with York not getting the gig, I appreciate we're a work in progress but I genuinely believe we'd have done alright and left a decent legacy on the profile of the sport and at worst come down in no worse a state.

I'd have had Fev in above Leigh though, the most consistant championship club for the last 10 years, Grand Final wins, runners up, decent ground. Seems particularly unfair that they are overlooked yet again.

Comes with the territory, but we will give it a good go next season as I am sure York will.

11 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

I'm fine with York not getting the gig, I appreciate we're a work in progress but I genuinely believe we'd have done alright and left a decent legacy on the profile of the sport and at worst come down in no worse a state.

I'd have had Fev in above Leigh though, the most consistant championship club for the last 10 years, Grand Final wins, runners up, decent ground. Seems particularly unfair that they are overlooked yet again.

Fev haven't actually  topped the championship since 2013 and have only had 1 second place since then. They've actually finished 5th as many times as they've finished 1st in the last decade, and all 3 of those top placed were 2011, 2012 and 2013. 

In terms of grand finals, the last win was in 2011.

4 hours ago, M j M said:

Yes, I think we have to accept it in this context.

Leigh don't bring much to the top flight apart from another half empty flat pack stadium - and their natural place in the sport tends to be around the top end of the second tier and the bottom of the top one. However if we simply don't want to have the 2021 Super League to have one team being easily beaten every single week then this is the right call and I can accept it on that basis.

What needs to be urgently managed is the message being sent to expansion areas and potential investors and sponsors for whom this decision at face value is deeply regressive.

Hopefully London, York and Toulouse can pull themselves together and win promotion on the field next year - which is how it should be in sport.

We don't bring much like cas wakey  Salford hkr.

18 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Surely having visitors from far away would appeal more to the discerning Leeds Supporters, and would attract a more global sponsor than the Wetherby Whaler fish & chip shop?

Probably would, but I think GH sees it as our helping the needy at Christmas activity 😂

19 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Surely having visitors from far away would appeal more to the discerning Leeds Supporters, and would attract a more global sponsor than the Wetherby Whaler fish & chip shop?

You reckon Toulouse would travel over on Christmas Day to play a friendly on Jour des Boites ?

Just asking about the practicalities, like.....

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I wasn't pointing the finger at Wakefield or Salford it is the Wigan's, Saints and yes Leeds being our top clubs who should but don't capture the wider publics imagination, these 3 are on the TV most and have contested the most Championship finals, but very few but the converted take notice of them and that effects the sport at large, if you want to keep saying the profile of the sport is not very good start at those who are our highlights and ask why.

We know why. People aren't really interested in seeing Leeds and Wigan beat villages in Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Just now, PEANUT HEAD said:

What expansion areas all the teams put forward have been playing rugby for years, the least one being london with very little success. 

Expansion for Super League the competition, not rugby league the sport, though both are somewhat interchangeable.

Archived