Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

If this is a case of just wanting a 'filler' for a bit of a stop gap, why on earth not let York have a go? 

Win lose or draw they'd have generated more interest among new people,.even if they crashed and burned. Leigh will add absolutely nothing to the games ridiculously low profile - nothing against them it's just true.

John..... giving york the gig would have destroyed the momentum they have in an instant and causing some damage on an ambitious and promising coach.

Their day will come. But not like this. For the good of york im glad they didn't get it. 

They are making fantastic progress. Nowt to be gained and everything to lose by giving them this bit part to play before sending them back down with a pat on the back saying "thanks lads"!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the consolation is that with London, Toulouse, York, Fev, Bradford, Halifax, Newcastle and all ........ It's certainly a fascinating competition isn't it?

Will it be on the telly? 

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Well the consolation is that with London, Toulouse, York, Fev, Bradford, Halifax, Newcastle and all ........ It's certainly a fascinating competition isn't it?

Will it be on the telly? 

Summer Bash only

15 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Will it be on the telly? 

It sounds more appealing than Super League.

Congratulations to Leigh.

A truly momentous day for the sport.

How lucky are we to have our wonderful sport being run by such outstanding visionaries that sees us on the cusp of greatness with blue chip companies falling over themselves to get involved,with our international comp that is inspiring young kids the length and breadth of the country to take up the sport.

😂😂😂😂😂

4 hours ago, Damien said:

I keep hearing about Leigh having the stadium but is that really the be all and end all? They rent the stadium and its a key difference. I'd hazard a guess that someone like Fev would have far more income steams from their setup than Leigh.

Dewsbury have more income streams than Leigh!!!!! 😀

The thing that ultimately comes out of today is that our twelve strongest clubs aren’t necessarily all current incumbents of Super League status. That should be a stark warning to some current Super League clubs and a shot in the arm to a number of Championship clubs who are either in that group of the strongest or are building slowly towards expanding and joining that group. 

Providing we can get all leagues started, we have an interesting season on our hands at all levels. 

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Congratulations to Leigh.

A truly momentous day for the sport.

How lucky are we to have our wonderful sport being run by such outstanding visionaries that sees us on the cusp of greatness with blue chip companies falling over themselves to get involved,with our international comp that is inspiring young kids the length and breadth of the country to take up the sport.

😂😂😂😂😂

RL is full of folk with BIG gobs and White Fivers. 

RL is not brilliant at attracting cash, this board is a great reason why that is so.

3 hours ago, kiggy said:

The new President of the French league, Marc Palanques, is hoping to expand the sport further, with better media coverage, hopefully bringing in national sponsors. So, maybe, a TV deal is in the offing for French RL which will be a step in the right direction and if TO do manage it next season, the crowds should be suitably larger (Home ones anyway, as the away matches will be even more sparsely populated once the "must have a passport to travel to the UK" rule comes into force.) 

Not very convincing is it?

And have you ever been to a game that Toulouse play away I have, the sparse following will not be noticed, it can't get much smaller.

3 hours ago, Derwent said:

I think this is what a lot of people don't seem to understand. This process wasn't about a long term strategy for SL, it was about being 3 months away from a new season and needing to promote a club that could cope with the step up financially, especially when they are only getting half the funding of other clubs. Nothing more than that. Which is why Leigh were the obvious choice, they have an owner who is prepared to put the extra £1m in to ensure they are at least competitive. What would be the point of throwing any of the others in on half the funding of the other clubs, they'd be absolute cannon fodder.

I suspect if this had been a process of awarding a longer term licence with relegation exemption etc then the choice would have been different. But under the circumstances anyone who argues it shouldn't be Leigh this time is not living in the real world.

I can't disagree with any of that and half expected it has I stated prior to the announcement, but personally I would have preferred to stay in the Championship and battle for promotion next season.

5 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Surely all the expansionists on here would rather tune in to the Championship than SL if it was on TV.

Apparently its worthless and no one wants to watch it. Also, it contains many big city teams that are all suitable and perfect candidates for SL, some peoples heads must be in shredded. Lol. 

8 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Congratulations Leythers.

Must be fun reading this thread and seeing how much you've pi$$ed some people off.

Good luck next season.

Thanks Jill, it truly is. Just seen Dereks interview on BetFred, a few on here could do with watching it. We are blessed to now have a great relationship with the council and LSVco - it wasn't always so - and substantial financial support from the board and sponsors - no freebies. Just hope fans are back asap and we can compete well, also wait for 3/4 BIG signings that will pi$$ them off even more.

The Championship 2021 will be a great comp, if I was SKY I would work with the RFL fixtures and ensure the games between To, Widnes, Fev, York, Fax, Bradford and possibly Newcastle are all on TV, even on 2 hour delay.

Archived