Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

That's worrying, but not surprising.

Some out the box thinking will be needed IF crowds are allowed back for the 2021 season to stop the decline in crowds.

I suggest for starters anyone who has a self association with a club gets along to watch them, we are talking decline in crowds here not TV audiences.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf taking any single year comes with caveats. Some junior teams are simply better than others in certain years.

On Wigan specifically I think you highlight the point precisely, because they are one of the 3 big academies, then can and do pick players from wherever they like not just in their own town because they have the prestige to do so. Leeds do the same, we've had a few Siddal (Halifax way) juniors recently for example as well as Cas. As a somewhat less attractive option (kids and parents given the choice almost always forego any fan positions and choose the "best" option), other clubs either settle for what the big teams leave or go looking a bit more ingeniously. That or do a man city and offer far more money, though the scale to be transformative and worthwhile would be incredibly high

So is the system flawed, could it be better utilised if marshalled in some way than just a free for all, if the talent was spread around a little more would kids be enticed to other clubs than just the best going to the big three or 4 teams.

If we are looking to having more kids playing the sport beyond youth level we really need to do something that favours more clubs, but the clubs need to buy into the lads welfare also as the big 3 or 4 already do.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So is the system flawed, could it be better utilised if marshalled in some way than just a free for all, if the talent was spread around a little more would kids be enticed to other clubs than just the best going to the big three or 4 teams.

If we are looking to having more kids playing the sport beyond youth level we really need to do something that favours more clubs, but the clubs need to buy into the lads welfare also as the big 3 or 4 already do.

You dont get handouts at the big boy table Harry. You have no right to these young players by chance of birth. Why should clubs who invested in youth development be disadvantaged for those who dont? why should kids have to pay for a club who hasnt bothered investing in youth because that club can't compete properly?

You already have a salary cap to hold other clubs back. How much more of a leg up do you want?

10 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

In what way does this help Leigh?

I agree there is a benefit in being able to prepare better but they could equally have three seasons blighted by injuries and not get close.

Make your mind up , you state we're virtually guaranteed to be relegated , I wasn't bothered either way , I'd have fancied our chances to make it this year , even more so if Toulouse had gone up 

This thread is generating way too many reported posts as a result of people making personal comments aimed at each other.

Just remember, everyone on here is entitled to express their opinion.

If you think their opinion sucks, then argue the point NOT the person!

If you can't engage contructively with someone, then either don't engage at all, or put them on ignore, so you don't have to read their opinions at all.

It is as simple as that, and has bene explained on here enough times for everyone to know the score.

If any more personal abuse gets reported in here, the person doing it will be suspended and the thread will probably end up locked, because neither myself nor ckn has the time to waste editing it any longer.

18 hours ago, JohnM said:

Unanimous decision that Leigh enter Superleague.  Thst means everyone agreed to accept Leighs proposal.  How is that anything to do with Elstone? 

News just in: I just stubbed my big toe. I blame Elstone.

Independent 🤣🤣 So who was on this panel and what are their Rugby League background?

My money would be on that Elstone blew in their ears

58 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Intersting to see the link to the Warriors recent influx of scholarship awards, out of the 17 signed there are only 2 from clubs actually in Wigan a third in Ashton I don't know whether you are aware of the geography of the area is twixt between Wigan and St Helens, whilst not being relevant to anything in particular does it say that Wigan's amatuer scene well thought of being the hub of developing future player's is somewhat slipping.

I used to live in Ashton and everyone would consider it Wigan. Its in Wigan Borough and certainly isn't St Helens.

8 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Beyond a guarantee of a few thousand fans attending games, (virtually all of them existing RL fans anyway) I can’t see anything added to SL.
No disrespect to Leigh, I have absolutely nothing against them and in themselves are a decent club. But they aren’t going to stimulate wider growth and interest in the game or new punters. In a word - boring.

No one is going to buy a sky sports package to watch Rugby League with Leigh being gifted a Super League place

11 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Independent 🤣🤣 So who was on this panel and what are their Rugby League background?

My money would be on that Elstone blew in their ears

All clearly documented in the original press release & mentioned numerous times on this forum

Your conspiracy theory sucks

6 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

No one is going to buy a sky sports package to watch Rugby League with Leigh being gifted a Super League place

2 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

1 person big deal. Sky will be delighted

Your “theory” immediately disproved though

52 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

You dont get handouts at the big boy table Harry. You have no right to these young players by chance of birth. Why should clubs who invested in youth development be disadvantaged for those who dont? why should kids have to pay for a club who hasnt bothered investing in youth because that club can't compete properly?

You already have a salary cap to hold other clubs back. How much more of a leg up do you want?

Have a look at the last sentance I wrote.

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have I got this right, that your interest in getting along to support 'your team' has wained, your experiences of 25/30 years have taken a back seat because Toronto are no more and Leigh have been chosen to make up the numbers and be the fall guy in the spot that Toronto held, I would have thought you would derive much more pleasure watching/observing Leigh continually losing as you have expressed they will other than Toronto continually losing over the course of the season.

Harry , now he knows how I felt after 3 years of licencing 

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have a look at the last sentance I wrote.

Doesnt answer the question does it. 

You want a salary cap, now you want young players to be forced to sign with Leigh instead of better run clubs. At what point do you stand on your own two feet?

9 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

However, given their history of financial instability and lack of ground, Bradford should have been taken out of the equation at the same time as Rochdale.

Please elaborate the relation between the two clubs and the action inferred - thanks in anticipation.

5 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

Doesnt answer the question does it. 

You want a salary cap, now you want young players to be forced to sign with Leigh instead of better run clubs. At what point do you stand on your own two feet?

As we know Leigh have had opportunities to set up a Category 1 academy, but chose not too until it was too late. You reap what you sow.

Archived