Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Wynn

South of England XIII- A new 'Southern Union' An All Golds Idea

Recommended Posts

Let’s go back to the future and build a new vision for the game!
aa9a935b-604b-4928-8a01-41d4dbb2f70a.jpg
 
South of England XIII - a new ‘Southern Union’
(Image  SWPix.com)
No one can be in any doubt 2020 has been a difficult year for sport and Rugby League has been hit harder than most.
But 2021 offers the sport of Rugby League, particularly the game in England with a huge opportunity to reset and rebuild thanks to the much-anticipated 2021 Rugby League World Cup.
 

Our vision here at the All Golds is to capture the pioneering spirit of the original 1907-08 All Golds, which gave birth to International Rugby League when those pioneers came and played a test series against the ‘Northern Union,’ with the decider famously played in the south west of England.fdc5861b-42f5-437f-a58f-7ffc9dfbbc92.jpg
 
Our suggestion to the 2021 Rugby League World Cup organisers and the Rugby Football League is to form a ‘Southern Union’- a South of England XIII, made up from Rugby League players born in the south of the country built into a representative side to play a warm up fixture against one of the Rugby League World Cup Finalists, with the game played here in Bristol.
 
We hope that Southern born players would buy into this concept and put themselves forward to play in this groundbreaking idea.
 
The team can draw from the current Southern Based professional clubs, London Broncos, London Skolars and Coventry Bears.
The team could be given a robust ‘spine’ by being supplemented by an impressive talent pool of players based in the North of England, such as Louie McCarthy Scarsbrook (St Helens), Dan Sarginson (Salford Red Devils), George Griffin & Mike McMeeken (Castleford Tigers), Josh Griffin (Hull FC), Tony Clubb (Wigan Warriors) amongst others.
Other players would also become available, using retired players as an example of the potential  of what may now be available, such as Leroy Rivett, Mark Calderwood and most famously, Martin Offiah as examples, all of whom were born in the South of England, there will be players playing now,such an example is current player Richard Lepori, who was born in St Albans. There will be other current players who were born ‘down south’ who we would hope to become available for representative Rugby League.
To read the full idea and other All Golds information CLICK HERE
Edited by Mark Wynn
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people will be hard pressed to come up with a more crackpot idea on here than lining Leroy Rivett, a player from London Skolars and a 54 year-old Martin Offiah up against a national team in a field in Bristol. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I dead? Is this hell?

  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps its not clear the retired players are an example of players who would have been used in the past, obviously they wouldn't play now!!!

There will be players who are born in the South of England and moved North who none of us are aware of.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mark Wynn said:
Let’s go back to the future and build a new vision for the game!
aa9a935b-604b-4928-8a01-41d4dbb2f70a.jpg
 
South of England XIII - a new ‘Southern Union’
(Image  SWPix.com)
No one can be in any doubt 2020 has been a difficult year for sport and Rugby League has been hit harder than most.
But 2021 offers the sport of Rugby League, particularly the game in England with a huge opportunity to reset and rebuild thanks to the much-anticipated 2021 Rugby League World Cup.
 

Our vision here at the All Golds is to capture the pioneering spirit of the original 1907-08 All Golds, which gave birth to International Rugby League when those pioneers came and played a test series against the ‘Northern Union,’ with the decider famously played in the south west of England.fdc5861b-42f5-437f-a58f-7ffc9dfbbc92.jpg
 
Our suggestion to the 2021 Rugby League World Cup organisers and the Rugby Football League is to form a ‘Southern Union’- a South of England XIII, made up from Rugby League players born in the south of the country built into a representative side to play a warm up fixture against one of the Rugby League World Cup Finalists, with the game played here in Bristol.
 
We hope that Southern born players would buy into this concept and put themselves forward to play in this groundbreaking idea.
 
The team can draw from the current Southern Based professional clubs, London Broncos, London Skolars and Coventry Bears.
The team could be given a robust ‘spine’ by being supplemented by an impressive talent pool of players based in the North of England, such as Louie McCarthy Scarsbrook (St Helens), Dan Sarginson (Salford Red Devils), George Griffin & Mike McMeeken (Castleford Tigers), Josh Griffin (Hull FC), Tony Clubb (Wigan Warriors) amongst others.
Other players would also become available, using retired players as an example of the potential  of what may now be available, such as Leroy Rivett, Mark Calderwood and most famously, Martin Offiah as examples, all of whom were born in the South of England, there will be players playing now,such an example is current player Richard Lepori, who was born in St Albans. There will be other current players who were born ‘down south’ who we would hope to become available for representative Rugby League.
To read the full idea and other All Golds information CLICK HERE

Tomkins was born in MK we'd have him.... That's not his grub sibling

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget the grandparent rule. If the likes of Scotland, Tonga, Lebanon, Great Britain etc. can exploit that rule, I don't see why the south of England can't too! I'm off to Ancestry.com to see if any of the current England squad have a southern grandparent.

Who are we likely to be playing?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mark Wynn said:

Perhaps its not clear the retired players are an example of players who would have been used in the past, obviously they wouldn't play now!!!

There will be players who are born in the South of England and moved North who none of us are aware of.

 

Sam Tomkins!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Don't forget the grandparent rule. If the likes of Scotland, Tonga, Lebanon, Great Britain etc. can exploit that rule, I don't see why the south of England can't too! I'm off to Ancestry.com to see if any of the current England squad have a southern grandparent.

Who are we likely to be playing?

Within the article it identifies 4 different nations, with Jamaica being the stand out 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

against the right opposition then i dont see this as a bad idea, nations will need warm up matches and some of then nations would find this a good run out. and it would be a chance to have a match in a different location. 

One problem would be that some of the players you would like would be in other national teams already.. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Mark Wynn said:

Perhaps its not clear the retired players are an example of players who would have been used in the past, obviously they wouldn't play now!!!

There will be players who are born in the South of England and moved North who none of us are aware of.

 

Mark your idea is really interesting and dressed up as Origin might well be a good be a good move, especially sold as the North _ South Divide.

In other news; try not to take the crowd seriously, if you imagine them shouting "Free Barabbas!" you'll be fine.

  • Haha 1

" .......means always being with the oppressed and never the oppressors."-- Marek Edelman

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Mark your idea is really interesting and dressed up as Origin might well be a good be a good move, especially sold as the North _ South Divide.

In other news; try not to take the crowd seriously, if you imagine them shouting "Free Barabbas!" you'll be fine.

It would be great if we could get to a point where there could be a serious challenge. Given as someone as pointed out, if you could get people like Sam Tompkins onboard I think this team could give most teams a run for their money.

 

Edited by Mark Wynn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark Wynn said:

It would be great if we could get to a point where there could be a serious challenge. Given as someone has pointed out, if you could get people like Sam Tompkins onboard I think this team could give most teams a run for their money.

 

Mark I really appreciate your idea and the leap of imagination it would mean.

A team of Southern Jessies able to beat It's Grim Up North side is a fantastic move.

It's also something that could be marketed in the South! Of which, of course, RL has too many already.

The trouble is your idea has come during a period of sad reduction both in outlook and output for RL.

 


" .......means always being with the oppressed and never the oppressors."-- Marek Edelman

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the idea basically Jamaica vs The South XIII at say Bristol (for the sake of argument)?

Its an idea borrowing from the past I guess in terms of touring sides playing county or club sides.

The problem with the warm ups is whether anyone would want to risk an injury and the commercial pull of a Southern XIII.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for this kind of initiative.

Like the Tonga invitational side that played England recently, I'm sure any or all of the following (Wales, Scots, Irish, Canadian, USA, Jamaican or French) would relish going up against the South of England side.

It would be a huge draw for the people in each of these nations (and the English lads) to be a part of a fixture like this.

Great idea Mark!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I'm all for this kind of initiative.

Like the Tonga invitational side that played England recently, I'm sure any or all of the following (Wales, Scots, Irish, Canadian, USA, Jamaican or French) would relish going up against the South of England side.

It would be a huge draw for the people in each of these nations (and the English lads) to be a part of a fixture like this.

Great idea Mark!

I think as a warmup idea it works

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is the idea basically Jamaica vs The South XIII at say Bristol (for the sake of argument)?

Its an idea borrowing from the past I guess in terms of touring sides playing county or club sides.

The problem with the warm ups is whether anyone would want to risk an injury and the commercial pull of a Southern XIII.

I think for warm ups its ideal. The international sides will already all be here and will need a warmup before the tournament, unless they play one on the way here such as the Pacific sides.

In all honesty this could involve a South of England XIII, a Cumbria XIII, home games for Scotland, Ireland, Wales and France who unlike in 2013 won't be hosting World Cup games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think for warm ups its ideal. The international sides will already all be here and will need a warmup before the tournament, unless they play one on the way here such as the Pacific sides.

In all honesty this could involve a South of England XIII, a Cumbria XIII, home games for Scotland, Ireland, Wales and France who unlike in 2013 won't be hosting World Cup games.

"South of England XIII" is a woeful idea. Just embarrassing.

The rest ... less so.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"South of England XIII" is a woeful idea. Just embarrassing.

The rest ... less so.

For a warmup game I genuinely don't think it can be described anything near as strong as "woeful". 

Its a nice idea, means that some high level RL will be played in an area with growth potential for the game and covers a region (SW) that won't have any World Cup games. It's not going to set the world on fire but like Jamaica playing England Knights in Leeds last year I'm sure it'll be jolly good fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mark Wynn said:

You mean like a 'Northern Union' side?

 

When the British Lions tour they often play combined XVs

IN FACT, when England went down under for the last RLWC we played a Western Australian select XIII as a warmup!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...