Hodgson to Hull

LeeF

Hodgson is a risk but so is any new coach.  What seems to be happening is that SL is now an appealing training ground for wannabee NRL head coaches.  I understand the problem with them then wanting to dash back to Oz for the first gig that comes up, but the glass half full view is that it means SL gets some of the best and brightest young coaches in Australia for a while.

My first reaction was one of being underwhelmed but I'll give him chance to see what he can do.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I, like most people,would like to see Hull do well.

I hope he can improve their disciplinary record. They simply give away too many penalties to be consistent. Mind you,that can be said about a number of teams. I've no idea why coaches constantly pick players,they know will give away 3/4 needless penalties per game.

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

So a coach who turned the team around and got them to within 80 mins of a Grand Final is replaced by an assistant coach of a club that hasn’t made the playoffs during his tenure, the game is killing itself in this country.

I wonder whether there is something more going on in terms of wanting/needing someone to come from outside to change things up a little bit. 

14 minutes ago, RP London said:

I wonder whether there is something more going on in terms of wanting/needing someone to come from outside to change things up a little bit. 

Perhaps but bringing in an assistant from a club with no recent history of success,a club that nobody wants to sign for and a club whose current players can’t wait to leave seems an odd decision given the improvement Last brought about.

Maybe they are hoping he will bring Benji over with him.

6 hours ago, Number 16 said:
14 hours ago, Eddie said:

Roy?

Woy? 

No, he's from Liverpool (NSW), not Woy Woy.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Perhaps but bringing in an assistant from a club with no recent history of success,a club that nobody wants to sign for and a club whose current players can’t wait to leave seems an odd decision given the improvement Last brought about.

Maybe they are hoping he will bring Benji over with him.

the attitude and unwillingness of players to sign would surely be down to the main coach, and hodgson wanting to get out of that arena is surely nothing to hold against him. You learn as much from the bad jobs and bad workplaces than you do the good, arguably more so. Last did bring through improvement but perhaps the idea is to refresh the club with an outsider coming in with different views rather than someone who has been there for god knows how long.. 

There will have been some form of interview process where these things would have been asked. 

9 minutes ago, RP London said:

the attitude and unwillingness of players to sign would surely be down to the main coach, and hodgson wanting to get out of that arena is surely nothing to hold against him. You learn as much from the bad jobs and bad workplaces than you do the good, arguably more so. Last did bring through improvement but perhaps the idea is to refresh the club with an outsider coming in with different views rather than someone who has been there for god knows how long.. 

There will have been some form of interview process where these things would have been asked. 

Or you can refresh the club by rewarding a British coach who has taken over in difficult circumstances done a great job by letting him build his own team and to continue to improve the players he wants to keep.

The main thing that Last did was that he seemed to improve out attitude. We scrapped and fought a lot harder, even in defeat. But he didn't fundamentally change much about our style or structure. Connor at FB made a difference, but that was dictated by the injury to Shaul.

Attitude and desire will get you a long way, but it won't get you all the way if you don't have everything else to go with it. At the minute a 4th/5th place finish is perhaps our limit. We need to have a rethink about the way we want to play our rugby and build our squad to go beyond that.

I would have been ok with Last getting the job, but I do think bringing someone in with fresh ideas is the right thing to do on balance. Hodgson knows SL and has been assistant to a variety of coaches and seems to be well regarded.

Coaches are always a lottery. Assistants sometimes are a revelation, proven coaches are sometimes terrible, unless you are signing Bellamy or Robinson or Bennett you just never quite know what you are going to get. So the jury is out, but I'm fairly happy with the appointment and will wait to see how things develop.

The important thing is that we bow have someone in place and can continue with our recruitment and start to look forward to next season.

57 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Or you can refresh the club by rewarding a British coach who has taken over in difficult circumstances done a great job by letting him build his own team and to continue to improve the players he wants to keep.

The problem with Last is that he's been at the club pretty much all his life. He clearly has some ability as a coach but does he actually have anything new to bring to the table that hasn't already ended in failure in the past 15 years?

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

My first reaction was one of being underwhelmed but I'll give him chance to see what he can do.

I think you make a fair point.  He is a bit underwhelming, but I don't know much about him.

But fundamentally, Hull (any club) need to grow their own players and bring in the rest that they need and generally manage themselves to be in a state that they can give the coach (any coach) a chance to get the best out of the players. 

A good coach can make a huge difference of course, and Graham Lowe had a huge impact on Wigan, and in the end the whole of the British game.   Whats remarkable is that Wigan followed him with John Monie. With him he was as much man management as technical coaching. I think he needed it at Wigan!

Archived