Hodgson to Hull

LeeF

1 hour ago, MZH said:

The problem with Last is that he's been at the club pretty much all his life. He clearly has some ability as a coach but does he actually have anything new to bring to the table that hasn't already ended in failure in the past 15 years?

This is the biggest issue for him. He needs to have exposure to other club environments to develop himself. Unfortunately even less emphasis is put on coaching development in this country, than player development

14 hours ago, clogdance said:

Bless, let's appoint an australian assistant coach.....shock horror. 🙂

I will always maintain that any overseas coach should count on the number of overseas player's that a club is allowed to sign, a limit was put on the number of overseas player's that any club can sign to help with out player development, considering there is only 12 places available for head coaches in SL should we not also put some form of protection in place for them?

Hodgson comes across as very determined, fluent and confident in his press conference.  Clear in what his vision is for player requirements and Clubs goals. I think he will go well and wish him all the best.

Hull have needed a general on the pitch for some years. He clearly recognises that which gives me confidence.  

I'll reserve judgement on him until a good while into next season. Could be a very good appointment, he has coaching experience as an assistant and has worked at Hull before, I believe he mentored a few of the players a number of years back, so the club won't be completely alien to him. He'll certainly bring something different to the table coming from Australia as opposed to Last who has been round the club for such a long time and was assistant under Radford and I think we do need a total change of direction. Yep, let's just wait and see. 

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

In my view, I think he'll do well. He's going to use it as a stepping stone to coaching in the NRL.

That’s fine isn’t it, no different to someone taking a job in the Championship hoping to do well and catch the attention of a Premier League club. 

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Or you can refresh the club by rewarding a British coach who has taken over in difficult circumstances done a great job by letting him build his own team and to continue to improve the players he wants to keep.

i dont disagree and plenty of companies promote form within because they want some continuity but also someone who has seen the issues and wants to change them.. you are unlikely to get wholesale changes and it is more about continuity with tweaks for the majority of internal appointments.. which is not necessarily a bad thing. Also sometimes the best candidate is from within in general. 

However, sometimes you need more change and someone coming with new ideas.. one of the big issues family companies have is that they dont get the refresh every couple of years and new eyes looking in on things. Family businesses can be very stale for this reason.

Perhaps the feeling at Hull is that they need new eyes on the club and some fresh ideas to really freshen the place up.. 

I dont know, dont really care either but just giving an alternative perspective.

5 hours ago, RP London said:

I wonder whether there is something more going on in terms of wanting/needing someone to come from outside to change things up a little bit. 

Think you've hit the nail on the head. Last has done a great job and done his reputation no harm at all but I think there was a real need to bring somebody in from outside to change things up as you put it.

When I got the news from my good friend OF my reaction was similar to his but the more I read about Hodgson's apprenticeship and what he has to say the more I think he could turn out to be a very good appointment. Time alone will tell of course. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Hodgson comes across as very determined, fluent and confident in his press conference.  Clear in what his vision is for player requirements and Clubs goals. I think he will go well and wish him all the best.

Hull have needed a general on the pitch for some years. He clearly recognises that which gives me confidence.  

Just watched the video in the link posted by MZH. Hodgson comes across as a very articulate, intelligent individual who has gone out of his way to learn from anybody and everybody he can.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

19 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Yes, and if they make a success of it, they are back over there at the first opportunity. I wonder how much input anyone else had in Pearson's decision.

Probably in equal proportion to the amounts of money they put into the club compared with him, I presume.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Wonder will happen to Keiron Purtill also ? He's been so unlucky recently. Head coach at Leigh & Widnes and was forced into leaving because of financial difficulties at both clubs, and now even if Hodgson wants to keep both on, will he want to stay as an assistant to an assistant ?

17 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Fluent !! 🤣

8 hours ago, clogdance said:

Wonder will happen to Keiron Purtill also ? He's been so unlucky recently. Head coach at Leigh & Widnes and was forced into leaving because of financial difficulties at both clubs, and now even if Hodgson wants to keep both on, will he want to stay as an assistant to an assistant ?

He won’t be in anyone’s lottery syndicate with luck like that. 

Everyone could see the incredible effort and passion Andy Last put into stopping the rot at Hull.

He was like a kid who'd found a Willie Wonka Gold Ticket. The man obviously loved being coach of the club he'd been so loyal to.

The improvement on the pitch was worthy and genuine.

You could see the hurt as his side failed to exercise the game plan in the play off semi final. The players let him down, the elephant in the room was that it could cost him his job.

I wish Andy well for the future 👍

I personally reckon it stinks that he's replaced by an unproven assistant from a 'dead in the water' NRL struggler. The consensus of opinion from those classy Australian Commentators was that Wests were pretty much 'pants' last season.

There'll be a lot of grumbling if Hull don't hit the ground running next March 🤪

1 hour ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Everyone could see the incredible effort and passion Andy Last put into stopping the rot at Hull.

He was like a kid who'd found a Willie Wonka Gold Ticket. The man obviously loved being coach of the club he'd been so loyal to.

The improvement on the pitch was worthy and genuine.

You could see the hurt as his side failed to exercise the game plan in the play off semi final. The players let him down, the elephant in the room was that it could cost him his job.

I wish Andy well for the future 👍

I personally reckon it stinks that he's replaced by an unproven assistant from a 'dead in the water' NRL struggler. The consensus of opinion from those classy Australian Commentators was that Wests were pretty much 'pants' last season.

There'll be a lot of grumbling if Hull don't hit the ground running next March 🤪

But as I've alluded to earlier. Passion and desire will only get you so far without the technical ability and structure to back it up. I do think Last did a good job in the circumstances, but we did need something new at the club. Hodgson may or may not be a good appointment, time will tell. But if he does fail I won't be wishing that we kept Last.

Archived