Super League 2021 Start Date

Apologies if there's already a thread for this ( I couldn't see one) but we now know when next season will start. 

11th March - the latest I can remember for a long time and the final back to the traditional second Saturday in October, which is 9th next year. 

More details here https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1764/2021-betfred-super-league-season-to-start-11-march

For me this is a good move with the World cup coming up and perfectly aligns us with the NRL season, so can be no complaints really about not having a long enough off season. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Apologies if there's already a thread for this ( I couldn't see one) but we now know when next season will start. 

11th March - the latest I can remember for a long time and the final back to the traditional second Saturday in October, which is 9th next year. 

More details here https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1764/2021-betfred-super-league-season-to-start-11-march

For me this is a good move with the World cup coming up and perfectly aligns us with the NRL season, so can be know complaints really about not having a long enough off season. 

The World Cup,be lucky to have any players fit for selection after shoehorning all those fixtures in.

A bit of devil's advocate but in terms of close season length we usually have internationals going on into late November so we're actually finishing this year early not late for our elite players.

So as Elstone says at the bottom of the piece starting until a month and a half later is more driven by the hope of getting fans back in than player welfare concerns.

12 minutes ago, M j M said:

A bit of devil's advocate but in terms of close season length we usually have internationals going on into late November so we're actually finishing this year early not late for our elite players.

So as Elstone says at the bottom of the piece starting until a month and a half later is more driven by the hope of getting fans back in than player welfare concerns.

Just wish the clubs didn’t insist on the loop fixtures in this condensed season. These 4 extra fixtures are driving doubling up weeks with the late start. Get rid and it fits

Has it been confirmed that there’s still 27 rounds next year?

For me, the common sense approach would be to scrap the loop fixtures and have either 22 or 23 games (depending on magic). That would get us back to about right again, if you think of those 5 fixtures as 5 weeks?

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

11th March start, 9th October finish with twenty-seven rounds, six team play-off and Challenge Cup all to fit in. Good luck with that 🤣

That's a total of 35 rounds of fixtures in 31 weeks. That's doable, especially if we schedule league games on the CC semi and final weekends, with only the teams involved bumped to midweek. Four rounds of midweek fixtures max.  

29 minutes ago, M j M said:

RL sees player welfare in the same way that UEFA sees tackling racism. 

"Actually doing something about the issue? Hmmm.... that sounds expensive. Here - just warm up in these slogan t-shirts instead..."

Next season in the NRL there are 25 weekly rounds plus 'finals footy' which is 3 games potentially. Considering most Australia players will be playing Origin too, a fair few of them will be up to 31 games. 

I honestly believe the longer off-season from this Friday to 11th March will be much more beneficial to SL players than starting over a month earlier and being in a season for 8 and half months going into a world cup. 

8 minutes ago, yipyee said:

27 rounds, this fits to the ST sales and the tv deal, cut this and income will also be cut

100%.

Cutting 4 rounds from the season would involve the sport giving up maybe £10m of income. It's really not anywhere near as simple as is being suggested.

19 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Just wish the clubs didn’t insist on the loop fixtures in this condensed season. These 4 extra fixtures are driving doubling up weeks with the late start. Get rid and it fits

Aren’t the loop fixtures required to maintain / increase the TV income?

I would rather we had away with them but I’m unsure that’s sustainable.

24 minutes ago, Markos said:

Has it been confirmed that there’s still 27 rounds next year?

For me, the common sense approach would be to scrap the loop fixtures and have either 22 or 23 games (depending on magic). That would get us back to about right again, if you think of those 5 fixtures as 5 weeks?

What would be the loss of income from dropping these 5 fixtures?

16 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

That's a total of 35 rounds of fixtures in 31 weeks. That's doable, especially if we schedule league games on the CC semi and final weekends, with only the teams involved bumped to midweek. Four rounds of midweek fixtures max.  

It worked so well this year. 

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Home and away and a magic weekend for 23 games seems like common sense to me but bigger brains than me sort these things out . Be knackered by the WC 

Should make Wane's job easier,just pick anyone who isn't limping !!

53 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Aren’t the loop fixtures required to maintain / increase the TV income?

I would rather we had away with them but I’m unsure that’s sustainable.

Maybe but the legacy of winning the World Cup would outweigh this as would benefit the whole game. Not just the TV income for 12 teams

Serious question and forgive my ignorance - how is the Sky deal broken down? Is it by games shown on TV I.e. SL have to satisfy a number of TV slots across the season?

...or is it stipulated in the Sky deal that SL has to have a number of rounds.

For those saying it’s not as easy as dropping games, why can’t some rounds be split in two so 3 games per round, with 2 televised fixtures per week?

I just don’t get why in unprecedented times, when exceptions and allowances have been made across every sport and business for the past 8 months, why those in charge can’t come up with a better solution than just “that’s what we’ve signed, that’s what we do”

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Maybe but the legacy of winning the World Cup would outweigh this as would benefit the whole game. Not just the TV income for 12 teams

It's legitimate but try telling club owners who've probably just lost about £20m on the season just gone that they should surrender another £10m.

Archived