2021 Attendances

18 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Personally I think fans have got into the habit of not attending and therefore likely decreases in attendance.

However there might be an initial spike as fans have been shut out for so long. 

Or people could be sick of been stuck at home and can’t wait to get back to events, it’s a bit of an unknown 

The biggest issue won't be habit or covid, it will be money. Jobs and wages are going to take quite a hit next year, even if the direct covid effect is reduced, so that will inevitably hit some people's ability to attend. To what extent, and whether it will be worse/better than other sports, I don't know. 

I would like to think that there will be a spike, its been good for my football club (Step 6) and many teams in our league as we have had the max (300) at most of our home fixtures this season with also a 400/450 one club has had gates of 700/900 for a couple of games (Totally illegal and announced as 300 all the clubs have been at it) Most club chairman/sponsors have been happy as this season has reduced their personal financial commitments due to increased gate revenue.

I know this is football however some of the matches last season we would have been happy with 150 I just get the feeling that its the lower tier sports teams that will see the benefits.

My prediction is increased crowds for 

Non League Football

County Cricket

Rugby League Championship/League 1

Rugby Union Championship

The better value the sport the more I think it will increase hopefully SL being not expensive will also see an increase.

9 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The biggest issue won't be habit or covid, it will be money. Jobs and wages are going to take quite a hit next year, even if the direct covid effect is reduced, so that will inevitably hit some people's ability to attend. To what extent, and whether it will be worse/better than other sports, I don't know. 

It depends doesn't it. For some, and undoubtedly a lot of RL supporters, there is likely going to be a massive hit which will inevitably have an impact. I count myself among those till I get a "proper job". 

On the other hand, lots of people have actually saved money during this year. Lack of ability to spend on major leisure activities like holidays etc could mean significant pent up demand which RL as a leisure activity could be well placed to take advantage of. My parents would be prime examples of this and tbf even I have saved significant amounts purely through not being able to spend - so if the recovery does happen quickly in line with a vaccine, its relatively plausible we've got a lot of normal people with extra money to spend too.

Both of the above are entirely possible and could both happen at the same time.

Once it's safe to do so, the pensioners who haven't had a cut in wages but have been unable to spend, will return in droves after a winter of boredom.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

It depends doesn't it. For some, and undoubtedly a lot of RL supporters, there is likely going to be a massive hit which will inevitably have an impact. I count myself among those till I get a "proper job". 

On the other hand, lots of people have actually saved money during this year. Lack of ability to spend on major leisure activities like holidays etc could mean significant pent up demand which RL as a leisure activity could be well placed to take advantage of. My parents would be prime examples of this and tbf even I have saved significant amounts purely through not being able to spend - so if the recovery does happen quickly in line with a vaccine, its relatively plausible we've got a lot of normal people with extra money to spend too.

Both of the above are entirely possible and could both happen at the same time.

I'd definately agree with this. The pandemic really has split society in two and the recovery will also split society in two. 

I've been lucky enough to work from home, save a ######-load in commuting costs, had refunds coming back from holidays and there's nothing to spend any money on. I'm well aware that I'm fortunate in that regard. 

I think the immediate aftermath isn't the worry - people will want to get back to rugby - but it's the longer-term recovery I would have an eye on. We're likely to see wage depression for some time, we already know that public sector wages are going to fall in real terms and we don't know what impact the 'B' word will have on the economy. Consumer confidence is going to be shot. 

Just now, Steve Slater said:

Once it's safe to do so, the pensioners who haven't had a cut in wages but have been unable to spend, will return in droves after a winter of boredom.

We would hope so, but there will be a lot of competition for that cash

1 minute ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I'd definately agree with this. The pandemic really has split society in two and the recovery will also split society in two. 

I've been lucky enough to work from home, save a ######-load in commuting costs, had refunds coming back from holidays and there's nothing to spend any money on. I'm well aware that I'm fortunate in that regard. 

I think the immediate aftermath isn't the worry - people will want to get back to rugby - but it's the longer-term recovery I would have an eye on. We're likely to see wage depression for some time, we already know that public sector wages are going to fall in real terms and we don't know what impact the 'B' word will have on the economy. Consumer confidence is going to be shot. 

Indeed, and you are fortunate, but the question is how many people are in your position vs the other? And to keep it relevant to this thread, how many Rugby League fans?

Long term I agree there is a real potential for stagnation, but that isn't guaranteed or inevitable.

We are a nation of party animals I just have a funny feeling that we will be OK.

People will want value for money at the football club we advertise ticket/programme/pint/burger (Home made one as well:) for £ 15 SQUID:) The increase in people coming has mainly been Crystal Palace fans many of whom have said they would prefer now to stick to watching non league for value.

Chatting to some in the clubhouse the other week (Before lockdown) a few rugby league fans included a couple of broncos fans a Huddersfield giants and Hull FC all living down here:)

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

We would hope so, but there will be a lot of competition for that cash

I agree Tommy, those with plenty of unspent cash will probably  be making full use of their unused annual leave allowance to depart these shores more than once throughout the season?

Just now, Steve Slater said:

I agree Tommy, those with plenty of unspent cash will probably  be making full use of their unused annual leave allowance to depart these shores more than once throughout the season?

Absolutely, though who knows when that will be possible. A March start date does put us back a month and a bit which means the vaccine may have been rolled out too. 

I just hope people when given the opportunity to spend their money don't pick 15 other things before they get to their rugby league club, though that is down to the clubs themselves to persuade them so.

1 hour ago, ShevWig90 said:

Will attendances next season show an improvement on 2019 due to the fact that the 2020 season has for the bulk of it had no fans in attendance, or will it be roughly the same or even take a drop compared to 2019? 

Thoughts?

What we’ve seen in sports (principally non league soccer) that have been able to have crowds is that games are popular - most equalling or surpassing previous years averages.

I think we’ll see the same.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Chances are we will have a situation where some clubs are allowed fans and do very well attendance-wise while others aren't allowed fans and suffer. Could create a disparity in income based on a postcode lottery. When selecting the SL side I wonder if this will be taken into account? RFL need to consider split gates in such circumstances.

4 minutes ago, Colin James said:

Chances are we will have a situation where some clubs are allowed fans and do very well attendance-wise while others aren't allowed fans and suffer. Could create a disparity in income based on a postcode lottery. When selecting the SL side I wonder if this will be taken into account? RFL need to consider split gates in such circumstances.

Deciding on that basis would be as tin pot as deciding on the basis of one team bringing 300 more away fans than another. 

There’s an opportunity here for rugby league clubs to build up their fanbases.

Presumably lots of clubs have been helping their local communities through the crisis - maybe that will be remembered.

I think people have become more necessarily community minded of late, more friendly even. Perhaps rugby league can tap into that?

29 minutes ago, Colin James said:

AHH like the Lancashire cup tie at Crystal Palace around 1988 London Crusaders v Wigan Uncle Mo trusted us so much he sent 8 guys down with click machines to check the gate LOL:)

Well it's a sample of one but I'm going to more live games next year than I have in the last 5 years that's for sure.

As soon as I am out of lockdown I am doing all the things I like best.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived