World Cup Warm Up Games

Eddie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NRL leading the way on the International front, again. Great to see.

England’s toughest group game is Samoa, I hope we prepare by playing another Southern Hemisphere nation and hope we play Fiji in a warm up, as we can only meet them in the final. Hopefully we have another prior to the World Cup against an upcoming nation like Jamaica. 

15 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The NRL leading the way on the International front, again. Great to see.

England’s toughest group game is Samoa, I hope we prepare by playing another Southern Hemisphere nation and hope we play Fiji in a warm up, as we can only meet them in the final. Hopefully we have another prior to the World Cup against an upcoming nation like Jamaica. 

I was thinking France mid-season, as logistically it’s a lot easier, but had forgotten about them being in our group. Maybe Wales in Wales or Bristol mid-season, as uninspiring as that is, then as you say Fiji in England 10 days or so before the tournament starts. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I was thinking France mid-season, as logistically it’s a lot easier, but had forgotten about them being in our group. Maybe Wales in Wales or Bristol mid-season, as uninspiring as that is, then as you say Fiji in England 10 days or so before the tournament starts. 

I’ve given up with mid-season internationals for England. I can’t see how we fit one in at the best of times, let alone next year. With that, poor opposition to choose from and very little buy in from clubs and players, I can’t see it being possible or likely. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’ve given up with mid-season internationals for England. I can’t see how we fit one in at the best of times, let alone next year. With that, poor opposition to choose from and very little buy in from clubs and players, I can’t see it being possible or likely. 

True, it is concerning though, would surely be massively beneficial for Wane, as well as the players. Can’t imagine a team rocking up to a World Cup having not played a game for two years in any other sport. 

As of right now, england will have gone through an entire world Cup cycle playing 5 games. 4 against NZ. Only three of those in this country.

Shaun  Wane will have been coach for 2 years before his first england match.

Tired players on the back of a compressed season, lining up for a new coach, untested in any serious way even if we sneak a friendly in. Its a recipe for disaster. 

51 minutes ago, Eddie said:

NZ have announced two games before the WC, versus Tonga and Australia. I’d like to think England will have a couple as well, though no idea who against.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/27/kiwis-plan-tests-against-tonga-and-kangaroos-before-world-cup/?fbclid=IwAR3vTdRLKKIClcTw6iuJ0qe04uRMW-Y8_UHvmdfV2JBoYQB2J30t371_jkU

New Zealand v Tonga on the 26th of June really isn’t a World Cup warm up game, it’s just an International fixture on the stand alone rep weekend. While the NRL has a week of for Internationals Super League does not and is even going to have to play 2 games a week again,  sadly there is no space in our overcrowded calendar for Internationals.

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

They’ve hardly always been the champion of the international game 

They are now. The growth of the game down there has been nothing short of sensational and we’re reaping the rewards as a sport with the improvement in the likes of Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG. Though, that could be to the detriment of the England side but if you stand still, you’re moving backwards, so we’ve brought it on ourselves. 

22 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Isn’t it Ironic how we employ a full time England head coach but leave no space in the calendar for England to play any games.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

They are now. The growth of the game down there has been nothing short of sensational and we’re reaping the rewards as a sport with the improvement in the likes of Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG. Though, that could be to the detriment of the England side but if you stand still, you’re moving backwards, so we’ve brought it on ourselves. 

Not sure if NRL can take direct credit for that. They are getting better, but have been appaling in years gone by. I remember not so long ago they didn't play any internationals at the end of the NRL season because Cameron Smith was "tired".  Shocking really.

7 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

As of right now, england will have gone through an entire world Cup cycle playing 5 games. 4 against NZ. Only three of those in this country.

Shaun  Wane will have been coach for 2 years before his first england match.

Tired players on the back of a compressed season, lining up for a new coach, untested in any serious way even if we sneak a friendly in. Its a recipe for disaster. 

You’re back! 

The NRL is doing far more to get Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG playing games than we are to get England, France and Wales playing games. Hats off to the NRL for including a stand alone representative round in their calendar.

1 minute ago, langpark said:

Not sure if NRL can take direct credit for that. They are getting better, but have been appaling in years gone by. I remember not so long ago they didn't play any internationals at the end of the NRL season because Cameron Smith was "tired".  Shocking really.

The NRL certainly can take some form of credit for the development of nations in the Southern Hemisphere. At club level, we’ve seen the inclusion of the Hunters and the imminent inclusion of the Silktails, they have created an International weekend in the free weekend that’s made by Origin and have helped develop the Oceania Cup, which looks like being a fantastic watch. 

I also see little problem with down periods, too. The NRL is of a much higher intensity than Super League and between that Origin and International commitments like World Cup’s, I’m not against Australia not playing games at times. 

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The NRL is doing far more to get Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG playing games than we are to get England, France and Wales playing games. Hats off to the NRL for including a stand alone representative round in their calendar.

Again, not to be negative, but they are two completely different scenarios. Tonga has such a big and passionate diaspora in Aus and NZ, they are guaranteed sellouts wherever they go and all their players are already based in those 2 countries anyway. So it is a no-brainer. France, Wales etc will struggle to fill Batley's ground.

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Exactly. We’re not stagnating, we’re going backwards at a rapid rate while the southern hemisphere is growing and fast approaching Tier One status for some of the nations down there, which will only result in England losing (more) ground on the the best in Australia and New Zealand and will see them fall behind the likes of Tonga. 

I think this is another facet of the wider problems of Rugby League in the U.K. and the Northern Hemisphere. 

1 minute ago, langpark said:

Again, not to be negative, but they are two completely different scenarios. Tonga has such a big and passionate diaspora in Aus and NZ, they are guaranteed sellouts wherever they go and all their players are already based in those 2 countries anyway. So it is a no-brainer. France, Wales etc will struggle to fill Batley's ground.

True that. If France v Wales was played at Batley what would the crowd be, 1,500? 

The NRL certainly can take some form of credit for the development of nations in the Southern Hemisphere. At club level, we’ve seen the inclusion of the Hunters and the imminent inclusion of the Silktails, they have created an International weekend in the free weekend that’s made by Origin and have helped develop the Oceania Cup, which looks like being a fantastic watch. 

I also see little problem with down periods, too. The NRL is of a much higher intensity than Super League and between that Origin and International commitments like World Cup’s, I’m not against Australia not playing games at times. 

Yes but the depth in their ranks is insane, they could pick literally 3 squads capable of competing with and probably beating NZ and England. So if Cameron is tired, the answer should have been simple; step aside. There are dozens of others behind you in the queue keen and willing. 

2 minutes ago, langpark said:

Yes but the depth in their ranks is insane, they could pick literally 3 squads capable of competing with and probably beating NZ and England. So if Cameron is tired, the answer should have been simple; step aside. There are dozens of others behind you in the queue keen and willing. 

Does that not devalue the Australian brand if you’re picking your 2nd or 3rd best XIII (which, could still beat most nations)?

Archived