Best Western

OK, you know me by now, I could start an argument in solitude. 

So here goes.

There have been some GREAT Western films produced over the years.

What is your favourite, and, if you have one, least favourite Western/Cowboy style film?

My faves are High Noon, and A Fistful of Dollars.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan of westerns, with the exception of Blazing Saddles,  and a 50 minute work of genius,  link below.  Filmed in England and actually originally banned in the U.S. for the violence. Opening scenes below.  Carry on Cowboy of course too, and mustn't forget Star Trek Spectre Of The Gun.

Either Young Guns, Young Guns 2 or Unforgiven.

I guess they’d be classed as too modern for real connoisseurs of the genre.

I have though met and chatted to James Coburn in a Bolton hotel of all places in the mid 90s.  He was very polite and nice with that amazing voice of course that is instantly recognisable.

I thought he played a good cameo in Young Guns 2 with his well established gravitas.

Favourites: any of the Sergio Leone trilogy and a big mention for Blazing Saddles.

Least favourites: any that depict the 7th cavalry riding in to save the day OR any that depict the mass murder of native americans.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

I saw The Outlaw Josey Wales at quite a young age, and it made an impression on me that still lingers. Eastwood was born to play a cowboy.

Does the original Westworld count? I saw Yul Brynner in that, years before I saw the The Magnificent Seven.

Other comedy Western favourites - Son of Paleface, Support your local Gunfighter & Support your local Sheriff. Trashy fun - the two Oblivion "cowboys in space" movies from 1994 & 1996.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Favourites: any of the Sergio Leone trilogy and a big mention for Blazing Saddles.

Least favourites: any that depict the 7th cavalry riding in to save the day OR any that depict the mass murder of native americans.

Spaghetti westerns, filmed in Spain.

3 minutes ago, Moose said:

Shane starring Alan Ladd. 

I always found the character of Shane to be a little too clean-cut, and the little boy was just annoying. Then again, it has been a long time since I saw it.

I'm pitching Cat Ballou into the discussion, now I think of it. And Pale Rider - I was the right age to have a bit of a crush on Sydney Penny when I first saw it.

d16946d7a0d251cc55afc3bf59be6640.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

The Man With No Name trilogy is some of the greatest cinema ever made and some of my favourite films. Leone's direction is brilliant and the films are just finished off to perfection with that iconic score from Morricone. 

34 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'm pitching Cat Ballou into the discussion, now I think of it.

Jane Fonda ... *faints*

*wakes*

Thinks of Jane Fonda in Cat Ballou again

*dies happy*

It is also a brilliant film.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived