What a great present for Lancashire Day

Bearman

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Nope it will be like saying after the 31st December that Britain is in Europe, it won't be, but it is and always will be, just like both Wigan and St Helens will always be in Lancashire.

Correct.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 28/11/2020 at 12:37, Harry Stottle said:

Nope it will be like saying after the 31st December that Britain is in Europe, it won't be, but it is and always will be, just like both Wigan and St Helens will always be in Lancashire.

I think naming the metropolitan counties Merseyside and GM was a mistake, as a generation later anyone under the age of 50 barely knows they were ever in Lancs. If (like Yorkshire) they’d been named West Lancashire and South Lancashire (for example) it would have kept the historic identity going. 

Leeds, Bradford, Halifax, Wakefield et al are NOT in Yorkshire.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 28/11/2020 at 12:37, Bearman said:

Just goes show you were wrong then.

http://www.forl.co.uk

that was nice bit of information to read - is it true.

I'm a proud Lancashire person, born in Liverpool when merseyside didn't exist as a county/admin district.

Will never desist from saying I'm a Lancashire lad... mind you I might still argue whether Preston or Liverpool are the "capitals"... chuckle.

Plus I lived in Huyton in younger years when Prescot spoke with a different tongue to us bussed out of the Slums Liverpudlians - and it was less than a mile away.

2 minutes ago, redjonn said:

that was nice bit of information to read - is it true.

I'm a proud Lancashire person, born in Liverpool when merseyside didn't exist as a county/admin district.

Will never desist from saying I'm a Lancashire lad... mind you I might still argue whether Preston or Liverpool are the "capitals"... chuckle.

Plus I lived in Huyton in younger years when Prescot spoke with a different tongue to us bussed out of the Slums Liverpudlians - and it was less than a mile away.

Its true 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Greater Manchester has always been ridiculous as a generic catchment title.

The majority of Lancastrian towns forced into this ridiculous bureaucratic administration block have never had much in common with Manchester. 

Saying that I now live in Cornwall and most the locals here reckon they've never been part of England 🙂

Archived