Tony Bellew

Saints have gone a new celebrity fan, former boxing world champion Tony Bellew. He was super impressed with the Grand Final and with the sport.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most professional athletes are usually impressed by the game when they see it, the group of Man Utd players who used to be regulars are a good example. It just highlights how little exposure the game gets that it's taken this long for someone like Bellew, who is from Lancashire, to actually watch a game properly.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I’ve had a fair few pals text about this today, not RL fans; anyone who saw that will have been in awe of it, whether they’ve seen a game before or not. 

After the game I flicked into SSN, Brentford had scored and they were making a massive deal out of it, yet the two are absolutely incomparable. 

2 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I think most professional athletes are usually impressed by the game when they see it, the group of Man Utd players who used to be regulars are a good example. It just highlights how little exposure the game gets that it's taken this long for someone like Bellew, who is from Lancashire, to actually watch a game properly.

Bellew is from Wavertree, not Lancs. Unless you adhere to pre-1975 boundaries. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

And Belew was born after this so isnt from Lancashire and wasnt born there.

He is actually from Merseyside same as Saints though so he is supporting his local pro club

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I apologise. There is no way RL could penetrate such a distant and isolated area, a full 23 miles from the mystical land of Wavertree. ffs.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I apologise. There is no way RL could penetrate such a distant and isolated area, a full 23 miles from the mystical land of Wavertree. ffs.

It’s a lot less than 23 miles, though you are right there is no way RL will ever become popular in Wavertree. 

21 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The fact that not everyone in the North West knows much about rugby league, let alone a professional sportsman (or retired now and most likely a sports pundit), is a travesty and an example of the failure of the sport to advertise itself.

This is why the game needs big events. GF, CC final, WCC plus an international event at the end of every season 

7 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I don't follow boxing, is this guy a big deal in that sport? 

Yeah, he's right up there with some other boxers you've never heard of. 😉

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

20 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

This is why the game needs big events. GF, CC final, WCC plus an international event at the end of every season 

First of all congratulations on getting through the season and putting on what sounded like must have been a tremendous Grand Final. I could only follow it through the thread on here and even that was pretty exciting. 

Was making all the News bulletins on TV over here, with special reference to Grahams first GF win in 8 attempts and his reaction, of course THAT try and the closeness of the game. Have to admit considering it was only a couple of hours after the games conclusion I was pleasantly surprised, especially on the National Broadcaster which sometimes seems to cover Rugby League through gritted teeth.

Nothing like a `big game` to get a bit of attention, let`s have lots more of them. Any way well done and what a buzz there is going to be around Rugby League next year.

25 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Let's hope he's never heard of you for your safety's sake. 😀

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

34 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

The truth is that Bellew had a pretty high profile when he was active, and was involved in some huge fights with the likes of David Haye and Usyk. He is still pretty vocal about stuff, and regularly appears as a fight summariser on various channels.

If you don't know who Tony Bellew is, then you probably don't follow boxing.

3 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Reasonably.

He has more than twice as many twitter followers as Saints and Wigan put together so very good publicity.

Although I'm always wary of seeking approval from those outside the sport, it's always nice to hear of the Road to Damascus moments when they realise just how good this sport is, and to paraphrase that Aussie vacation Ad, "Where the Blood y Hell have you been?"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The fact that not everyone in the North West knows much about rugby league, let alone a professional sportsman (or retired now and most likely a sports pundit), is a travesty and an example of the failure of the sport to advertise itself.

yes and no tony was born in toxteth and moved next door to wavertree living all his life in liverpool and we all know in liverpool football is king and tony loves his everton fc even more  than boxing so getting him into rugby league at a young age was always going to be a struggle no matter how much you advertise 

2 minutes ago, POR said:

yes and no tony was born in toxteth and moved next door to wavertree living all his life in liverpool and we all know in liverpool football is king and tony loves his everton fc even more  than boxing so getting him into rugby league at a young age was always going to be a struggle no matter how much you advertise 

Just getting media coverage that reflected the game would be a start.

Blaming the sport for it's invisibilty is one of the travesties of this whole thing, and why we find it amazing someone likes the sport.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

It’s a lot less than 23 miles, though you are right there is no way RL will ever become popular in Wavertree. 

I live in Wavertree actually Eddie and it may surprise you to know that everybody knows about rugby league.

Everybody in my house that is.

Archived