Social Media - Youtube

Click

I was just going through the YouTube trending page, and noticed that the SL Grand Final Highlights are actually trending at #20 at the moment,

This is an avenue that clubs and the governing body really need to exploit more to get the game to younger audiences, as this is where they get a lot of their media content from.

Sharing the YouTube video below could keep it on the trending page a bit longer for the UK, so it would be good to share it with more people !

1 hour ago, Click said:

I was just going through the YouTube trending page, and noticed that the SL Grand Final Highlights are actually trending at #20 at the moment,

This is an avenue that clubs and the governing body really need to exploit more to get the game to younger audiences, as this is where they get a lot of their media content from.

Sharing the YouTube video below could keep it on the trending page a bit longer for the UK, so it would be good to share it with more people !

Good point, but it is still behind a cat playing the piano and a man eating Jelly!

Maybe UTube isnt the best judge of taste.....

16 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Good point, but it is still behind a cat playing the piano and a man eating Jelly!

Maybe UTube isnt the best judge of taste.....

Far better showing it on Betamax in the back room of an ex-servicemen's club, from a TV in a wooden cabinet.

Or getting over 5 million views like YouTube can deliver.

And that'w without counting the many "react" videos to the same clip.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 30/11/2020 at 01:29, Click said:

This topic was discussed in several posts by  `WhatMichealsays` in other threads and he referred to the NBA and a problem they were having with their broadcast viewing figures. In particular amongst younger viewers, next generation supporters, who were much less likely to do what he called " appointment viewing ", I gather that meant sitting down at a specific time to tune into specific events. They part addressed this problem by sending `real-time` highlights to subscribers, who either then may tune into the game, maybe later check-out a complete highlights reel  or even watch the game on delay when it suited them. Either way those eyeballs go onto viewing figures which in turn increases the products value.

Now how a smaller time operation like League gets the broader population to subscribe or download such an App that would perform this function is another question, could the app have been made available to everyone who bought a World Cup ticket, possibly keep them  engaged after the tournament is over as well, people a lot more tech savvy than I may know the answers to this.

But I think we can assume that this is the future and somehow League has to get on board, sooner rather than later.

On 29/11/2020 at 15:47, Futtocks said:

Far better showing it on Betamax in the back room of an ex-servicemen's club, from a TV in a wooden cabinet.

Or getting over 5 million views like YouTube can deliver.

And that'w without counting the many "react" videos to the same clip.

The abiding problem with all RL social media content is that 99% of those who see it think it is "Rugby", not "Rugby League". So they`re no more aware of the existence of RL than before they viewed it. Any promotional benefits go elsewhere. 

The American bloke, like virtually all YouTubers in such "react" videos, said he was reacting to a "Rugby" haka.

6 hours ago, Oxford said:

There is a problem of market identity for RL and without truly distingushing features marking it out that will continue.

Any ideas?

26 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Any ideas?

There are plenty already used such as the Red Zone marked in RED, getting rid of scrums etc

But one of the markers of global sports is an identifiable uniform that can become a fashion item. But any ideas like this would have to be global in approach which is an extreme barrier for a sport with a parochial mindset.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

My two boys aged 12 and 14 hardly ever watch normal tv, its always youtube or netflix, news info, tv programs in quick short bursts. 

Apparently those young  people do that now.😁 They even struggle to sit through a full rl game Unless its a very good game or a final etc 

16 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Referee using a mobility scooter or jetpack to get around the field.

It won't be long before it's done by drone, like inner city policing.

14 hours ago, Celt said:

I think that is great.... If you are in the UK anyway.

The SuperLeague must have geoblocked certain locations. Bizarre really.... I can get as many union highlights on YouTube as I want.

😕

Screenshot_20201201-011225.png

That's probably a Sky issue since they will own all the footage.

18 hours ago, Oxford said:

But one of the markers of global sports is an identifiable uniform that can become a fashion item. But any ideas like this would have to be global in approach which is an extreme barrier for a sport with a parochial mindset.

This is why clubs shouldn`t tamper too much with their traditional jersey colours and design, or go for indeterminate splash and splurge affairs which, apart from looking ghastly, could be worn by anybody playing anything.

The aim should be to establish the club jersey as iconic, then use that recognition factor to promote the club and the game. Clubs who annually make radical changes to their jersey prejudice their long-term chances of selling all their other merchandise on the back of the prestige they could be building.

Major companies spend decades and millions on advertising to make their logo instantly recognisable. They know all that time and money would be down the drain if they changed it every year.

When you see pictures of a gala day in Aus, NZ, France, most of the teams have great looking chevron shirts. With lots of teams in the one place it`s striking, and the most obvious manifestation of a global RL brand. Even those with irregular hoops are identifiably different from the equivalent RU version (good example is Ponsonby RL and Ponsonby RU in Auckland. The League jersey looks far better).

Unfortunately in the UK in recent years a lot of our clubs at all levels seem happy with eyesores that could be RU jerseys, Soccer jerseys, god-knows-what jerseys. Nothing distinguishably RL about them.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

This is why clubs shouldn`t tamper too much with their traditional jersey colours and design, or go for indeterminate splash and splurge affairs which, apart from looking ghastly, could be worn by anybody playing anything.

The aim should be to establish the club jersey as iconic, then use that recognition factor to promote the club and the game. Clubs who annually make radical changes to their jersey prejudice their long-term chances of selling all their other merchandise on the back of the prestige they could be building.

Major companies spend decades and millions on advertising to make their logo instantly recognisable. They know all that time and money would be down the drain if they changed it every year.

When you see pictures of a gala day in Aus, NZ, France, most of the teams have great looking chevron shirts. With lots of teams in the one place it`s striking, and the most obvious manifestation of a global RL brand. Even those with irregular hoops are identifiably different from the equivalent RU version (good example is Ponsonby RL and Ponsonby RU in Auckland. The League jersey looks far better).

Unfortunately in the UK in recent years a lot of our clubs at all levels seem happy with eyesores that could be RU jerseys, Soccer jerseys, god-knows-what jerseys. Nothing distinguishably RL about them.

I don't think there is any sense of a global RL brand and i believe that's  direct product of a few things. Mostly they're parochial and Ununified & uncoordinated. 

But this point was the ultimate one you made "Nothing distinguishably RL about them." From  one side of the globe to the other on a fan or a player an RL shirt should be instant recognisable as RL .

The farce with the rules of the game sums this up.

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

But this point was the ultimate one you made "Nothing distinguishably RL about them." From  one side of the globe to the other on a fan or a player an RL shirt should be instant recognisable as RL.

How would you suggest this be achieved?

At international level I would definitely say with a chevron, as most teams seem to have that anyway. I hope England will on the next shirt.

Perhaps a logo representing the letters RL on every shirt. A bit like how Formula One has the F1.

logo with letters RL - Google Search

18 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

How would you suggest this be achieved?

At international level I would definitely say with a chevron, as most teams seem to have that anyway. I hope England will on the next shirt.

Perhaps a logo representing the letters RL on every shirt. A bit like how Formula One has the F1.

logo with letters RL - Google Search

Straight away you've come up with something that hadn't occurred to me, a global logo, excellent idea.

ParochialXIII doesn't seem to cut it somehow, does it?

A brand has to be totally distinct (unique), totally reconisable and unified to be successful.

On 02/12/2020 at 11:42, 17 stone giant said:

I`d like to see that too. When we changed from GB to England, one possible reason (added to the usual lack of taste) we didn`t go for red chevron(s) on a white background could be that it`s so inextricably linked in this country with St. Helens.

The Manukau Magpies in South Auckland wear a jersey that looks like an early 1970s tracksuit. Most RL magpies have generally had white chevron(s) on a black background, most famously Western Suburbs Sydney. But in NZ that would replicate the national jersey. They ought to reverse the colours like Souths Logan Magpies in SEQ.

On 02/12/2020 at 11:42, 17 stone giant said:

Wigan fans would moan, like Saints ones did when we had that one-off hooped shirt.

New-England-Rugby-League-Kit-2014-2015-1

Archived