Casty not renewed by Catalans

Hvy wg

On 30/11/2020 at 13:51, ATLANTISMAN said:

I agree SB but it would only work for now under licensing.

This whole thing should have been thought through much better originally.

So under licensing Catalan's would play understrength teams would they, this is a complete fallacy with Licencing, the teams at the top chellenging for honours would be ensuring they are playing their best availabe teams each week to vie for positions in the play offs, those at the bottom whose season is most probably over and playing games of no consequence yes they would most likely rotate their squads, but who wants to go and pay to watch games that do not matter what the outcome is?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So under licensing Catalan's would play understrength teams would they, this is a complete fallacy with Licencing, the teams at the top chellenging for honours would be ensuring they are playing their best availabe teams each week to vie for positions in the play offs, those at the bottom whose season is most probably over and playing games of no consequence yes they would most likely rotate their squads, but who wants to go and pay to watch games that do not matter what the outcome is?

Quite a lot of people in other sports on these shores, in America and in Australia, to name three countries. 

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Fine, please share.

But you only commented on one part of my post, would/do you agree with how I described the clubs in the top half of SL may have a different attitude to their fixtures from those at the bottom in a Licencing format.

I support a football team whose season is over by Christmas. I watch an American Football team who’s season is over within four or five weeks of the season commencing. Luckily, I support a Rugby League team that actually win things.

The best teams would pick their strongest team at every opportunity, as they do under any structure we utilise. What we have tended to do when having no relegation is put more emphasis on the mid-table sides by extending the play-offs to suit them. 

55 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The best teams would pick their strongest team at every opportunity, as they do under any structure we utilise. What we have tended to do when having no relegation is put more emphasis on the mid-table sides by extending the play-offs to suit them. 

So that lends into my ever long argument, no relegation and extending the play offs further down the tail in a closed shop situation is in effect rewarding mediocrity and even failure.

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So that lends into my ever long argument, no relegation and extending the play offs further down the tail in a closed shop situation is in effect rewarding mediocrity and even failure.

No, extension of the play-offs is rewarding mediocrity and shouldn’t occur in a twelve or fourteen team league. Nobody clammers for a play-off in Football so that Everton and Southampton have something to play for in April. 

2 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

They've been here since their teens. Tiaki was playing for st Esteve when he was as young as 6. Been through the u16 to u23. 

It's plenty for me. 

Fair enough. To be honest I actually had them confused with journeyman Alex Chan, who I thought might still be kicking around Vinnie Anderson-style. But I just looked him up and he is now 45! Not sure what he did after his stint with Catalans.

Anyway, these guys you mention are not so clear-cut, so I am not really bothered if they are considered homegrown or not. 

The point I was trying to emphasise in all of this is that France do have the talent to sustain two Super League teams. I hope they start investing there rather than elsewhere.

The amount they have spent housing and relocating the likes of Maloney, Kasiano, etc, invested in the grassroots will yield great rewards in a few years.

5 hours ago, langpark said:

Fair enough. To be honest I actually had them confused with journeyman Alex Chan, who I thought might still be kicking around Vinnie Anderson-style. But I just looked him up and he is now 45! Not sure what he did after his stint with Catalans.

Anyway, these guys you mention are not so clear-cut, so I am not really bothered if they are considered homegrown or not. 

The point I was trying to emphasise in all of this is that France do have the talent to sustain two Super League teams. I hope they start investing there rather than elsewhere.

The amount they have spent housing and relocating the likes of Maloney, Kasiano, etc, invested in the grassroots will yield great rewards in a few years.

Alex Chan is the general manager of Catalans at present.

21 minutes ago, lewis9966 said:

Alex Chan is the general manager of Catalans at present.

Wow! I did not know that!  Cheers.

Foreign coach, foreign general manager.  I wonder how much that is influencing their recruitment policy, where foreign players are so over-represented.

4 minutes ago, langpark said:

Foreign coach, foreign general manager.  I wonder how much that is influencing their recruitment policy, where foreign players are so over-represented.

There is indication several French lads will get their turn in this link, Chan included.

Seguier named as someone who can step up to replace Casty.  Last time I watched him, he was quite a sleight drink of water, but he must have put some weight on now.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/french-round-up-jouffrets-new-club-casty-on-future-and-his-replacement-revealed/

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sounds like when all the P & R haters finally get there way, it could be a top 12 Play Off in Super League to keep them all interested.

1 hour ago, langpark said:

In reality Channie should be looking down under.

Good guy Alex and one of the Dragons better recruits.

Paul

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

There is indication several French lads will get their turn in this link, Chan included.

Seguier named as someone who can step up to replace Casty.  Last time I watched him, he was quite a sleight drink of water, but he must have put some weight on now.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/french-round-up-jouffrets-new-club-casty-on-future-and-his-replacement-revealed/

Good to see French lads will get their chance.

Liked the look of Le Cam when I saw him play for les Baby Dracs. He could cause defences problems with his size and skill.

12 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I’d take stability of the clubs and an ability to properly plan over the excitement of relegation. If you can create a model of sustainability AND jeopardy through P&R I’m all for it. But we see the yo-yo of promoted teams and turnover of club owners too often. 

9 hours ago, dealwithit said:

I’d take stability of the clubs and an ability to properly plan over the excitement of relegation. If you can create a model of sustainability AND jeopardy through P&R I’m all for it. But we see the yo-yo of promoted teams and turnover of club owners too often. 

Where was the stability in the last licensing period Dealer, if you mean everything stayed the same that the same clubs prior to licensing stayed at the top and won tge gongs and those who warmed up the nether regions of the division continued to do so, with the obvious exception of the Bradford Bulls who twice in 2012 and 2014 in the licensing period went into administration, they were fine before licensing.

The top clubs still scoured Australia and the Pacific region for players to remain competitive with each other, and half of the division with 4 or 5 months still left of the season had nothing competitive to play for, that ain't sport Dealer.

Please advise me of the turnover of club owners that has happened to often since licensing was abolished that should make interesting reading, and there has been two yoyo clubs since 2016 being Leigh and HKR, under the present format Leigh would not have been relegated in '17 they did not finish bottom even though they had an horrendous injury situation utilising 37 player's, a situation if it happens to the top clubs being deprived of player's we hear all to often "what do you expect with so many players missing" but it was Leigh so it didn't matter.

The other problem we have with the Promoted club, is it is until the very last game of their season that they know they have won promotion, by that time most player's are sorted and allocated at which club they will performing at the following year, we have such a shortage of available talent team and squad strengthening is a problem, want evidence look at Toronto this past season a 0 - 6 return says that squad wasn't good enough and they could very well have been yoyo #3.

So in my opinion do something re player recriutment - what that could be I don't know - and keep 3 divisions with something competitive to play for at both ends of each division the exception being  the bottom of League 1, or return to licensing and go through the very same motions as last time, and in the process watch the Championship go #### (mammaries) up.

Just as an FYI, 2014 was no licensing but it’s not unlike people here to rewrite history to suit their argument.

Anyway, all the best to Casty, one of the most underrated players in Super League in the past ten years for me and I’d have loved Saints to get him when he come back from his year in Australia. 

Archived