Here we go again...Benji Marshall now?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/benji-marshall-hull-kr-deal-super-league-club-tables-nrl-star-monster-deal/news-story/5364198993f9ba91c5c4aa8b8cc27c2e

Getting on a bit ain't he?

Edit : Oh, and I've just noticed they seem to have got a couple of letters wrong in the link...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Apologies, originally you could read the full story but now it seems you have to subscribe.

Briefly, Hull are rumoured to have offered him £400k for one season!, that's $700k plus Australian dollars.

That's an awful lot of brass for a 35 year old half back.

48 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/benji-marshall-hull-kr-deal-super-league-club-tables-nrl-star-monster-deal/news-story/5364198993f9ba91c5c4aa8b8cc27c2e

Getting on a bit ain't he?

Edit : Oh, and I've just noticed they seem to have got a couple of letters wrong in the link...

No thanks. He's been a very very good player, but he's well past his best before date now.

It's time to promote British talent

Taking his obvious age out of it, bringing The Benj in could make sense.

Shaul will not be ready to play until middle of next season and Connor has been doing ok at FB.  

Half backs are thin on the ground and Ben McNamara might not be ready for a permanent starting position. The Benji would be an excellent mentor for a season and organise a team who’ve been inconsistent.

I would prefer Nikorima, another international HB who has been in the upper half of NRL five eights.  If BM kicks the offer back, the money on offer might make him consider.  

No matter what naysayers comment, Benj might not light up every touch of the ball like he did but he would panic defences in the last third and his kicking game is consistently excellent.

Just now, The Future is League said:

WAS a great player.

How many development officers could we employ for the wages he's allegedly being offered?

I was just drawing attention to the fact that he was ''crook'' as they say down under.

Thirty six year old knees don't heal up like they used to.

I agree with you that there are probably many better ways to spend £400 k

Ball in hand he’s still an exciting player but his defence for large parts of the season was abysmal although it did improve towards the end of the year.

A fit & motivated Benji is worth a punt but not for the sums of money being talked about.

He was actually playing some of his best footy in a while for West’s . You know what you’re gonna get , he’s mercurial , some stuff will come off and some won’t . He was dropped for poor defence but with the ball he was showing up well

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

He was actually playing some of his best footy in a while for West’s . You know what you’re gonna get , he’s mercurial , some stuff will come off and some won’t . He was dropped for poor defence but with the ball he was showing up well

The Hull Daily Mail have quashed it now.  Their reporting is not so hot but the 400k bit would be a fictitious number for Pearson to pay anyway.

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The Hull Daily Mail have quashed it now.  Their reporting is not so hot but the 400k bit would be a fictitious number for Pearson to pay anyway.

Just read that myself. "Hull Live understands a deal is not on the table for the former Wests Tigers half-back" - in other words somebody at the club has told the HDM that it's not happening.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

Just read that myself. "Hull Live understands a deal is not on the table for the former Wests Tigers half-back" - in other words somebody at the club has told the HDM that it's not happening.

Unconfirmed source suggests that this followed Adam Pearson requesting his oxygen to be increased after he read the article from his hospital bed.

13 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Apologies, originally you could read the full story but now it seems you have to subscribe.

Briefly, Hull are rumoured to have offered him £400k for one season!, that's $700k plus Australian dollars.

That's an awful lot of brass for a 35 year old half back.

36 before he even plays a game. Sign him. Go on. Dare ya!

Benji, relies on others to do the running for him to be effective, he is privvy to that in Aus, will that be the case in this country and more particular at HKR.

But saying that I think he would be far greater value at 34 on the pitch at No6 on the salary quoted, than a 37 year old second row on his reputed remuneration.

Archived