garry schofield

Why can't he just accept that the final was a great game? in todays League Express he reckons it was absorbing if you like "the wrestle" but not an all time classic, how can anyone find anything negative about that game.

And why take away Welsby's magic moment by saying french switched off, french was beaten by the bounce he did nothing wrong imo.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, my missus said:

i like to get my £1.80s worth from League Express so i read his two pennoth more fool me.

Indeed. More or less everybody in the game is laughing at him nowadays with what he writes and what he he says. He has zero credit within the game. He has become a figure of fun. He has become someone who people love to ridicule

1 hour ago, my missus said:

Why can't he just accept that the final was a great game? in todays League Express he reckons it was absorbing if you like "the wrestle" but not an all time classic, how can anyone find anything negative about that game.

And why take away Welsby's magic moment by saying french switched off, french was beaten by the bounce he did nothing wrong imo.

You've really got to stop reading him, he's been riding the coat tails of his playing days forever, and doesn't have a clue what imposter syndrome is!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

You would say that wouldn't you. Let's be honest the welsby try was a fluke nothing else. On a personal view I thought it was a great game.

As I said on the 'Boring' thread, for those who prefer a more open game with plenty of breaks and lots of points scored then saying Friday's game wasn't a classic is a perfectly reasonable stance.  It is all about preference.  I guess we have to take people on face value and hope they are not just saying it to get attention as that would be a just a tiny bit sad.

Personally, I thought it was a classic.  Two tries in the game is fine by me and it is two tries more than the most enjoyable game of Rugby I have ever seen (Wigan Manly in '87).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

57 minutes ago, my missus said:

i like to get my £1.80s worth from League Express so i read his two pennoth more fool me.

More fool you for paying £1.80.  Don't know how they've cheek to put price up when for most of the year there's been no match reports.

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As I said on the 'Boring' thread, for those who prefer a more open game with plenty of breaks and lots of points scored then saying Friday's game wasn't a classic is a perfectly reasonable stance.  It is all about preference.  I guess we have to take people on face value and hope they are not just saying it to get attention as that would be a just a tiny bit sad.

Personally, I thought it was a classic.  Two tries in the game is fine by me and it is two tries more than the most enjoyable game of Rugby I have ever seen (Wigan Manly in '87).

Totally agree I to thought it was a wonderful game, BUT there are to many on this site in that if someone has a different opinion to theirs it is wrong, just accept we all do not share the same views.

In fact we are short of another emoji, a simple I don't understand would suffice.

Why can't he just accept that the final was a great game?

Because it's his job to be a professional contrarian. The problem with people like that is it's often impossible to take what they say at face value. There's a decent chance he genuinely doesn't think it was a great game. There's an equal chance he thinks it was but knows he should write that it wasn't in order to generate interest.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

29 minutes ago, Loiner said:

You would say that wouldn't you. Let's be honest the welsby try was a fluke nothing else. On a personal view I thought it was a great game.

It was a fluke for him to spot the opportunity, get past French and touch the ball down without his body going out of play? I’d like to see you fluke that. 

Just now, Eddie said:

It was a fluke for him to spot the opportunity, get past French and touch the ball down without his body going out of play? I’d like to see you fluke that. 

Absolutely.

A player could chase a drop goal attempt in case it hit the post or didn't go dead a thousand times and get no reward.

To have the energy and motivation to chase that kick at the end of such a game is tremendous play.  It got its reward.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Friday was absolute class - as have all players in this covid mauled season. Any distraction from that is misplaced - to put it mildly 

Spot on and although other opinions are just as valid, they are as wrong as a Trump lawsuit.

If you weren't on the edge of your seat you've no soul!

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'm convinced his hand-off on French was no fluke! :kolobok_diablo:

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I thought it was a very good game, possibly even a great game. I wouldn't call it an all-time classic though, mostly for the reasons that Dunbar has outlined. I wouldn't want every game of RL I watched to be like that. That's just my preference. I still enjoyed it a lot, but even as I was watching it, I was hoping it would open up a bit more at some point.

As for the try, I'm maybe being harsh but I too thought that French was a bit slow to deal with it. I accept he was very unlucky with a couple of bounces, and the ball hitting the post is obviously unexpected, but I just felt he wasn't quick enough to chase after the ball and deal with it. Put it this way, if England lose a World Cup final or get knocked out by a try like that, I would be raging.

Calling that try a fluke is a disgraceful description of something we as a sport pride ourselves on, and thats not giving up, chasing everything to the final second of the game, pure effort after 80 minutes of battle by an astonishing young player. Its exactly the kind of thing every single coach at every single level of the sport should be showing all of their players, the rewards that come with incredible effort in the ultimate game in our country. To try and talk it down is disingenuous at best, bitter and pathetic at worst. Zeroing in on French making a mistake rather than Wellsby making the most of the tiniest opportunity sums up the miserable nature of so many of our so called supporters.

Dident he mention sneyd as a one trick pony not that long ago.hes paid to talk cobblers and does it well.game were brill and had plenty a biff & bang. needed a crowd to lift roof off in last 5 minutes.wrong options from wigan gave the opportunity to saints.and they took it well.

45 minutes ago, dkw said:

Calling that try a fluke is a disgraceful description of something we as a sport pride ourselves on, and thats not giving up, chasing everything to the final second of the game, pure effort after 80 minutes of battle by an astonishing young player. Its exactly the kind of thing every single coach at every single level of the sport should be showing all of their players, the rewards that come with incredible effort in the ultimate game in our country. To try and talk it down is disingenuous at best, bitter and pathetic at worst. Zeroing in on French making a mistake rather than Wellsby making the most of the tiniest opportunity sums up the miserable nature of so many of our so called supporters.

If you create the circumstances to be lucky then it's not a fluke when luck comes your way.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I found the game absorbing but prefer more "free flowing" games as the normal.

That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the intensity and defensive nature of the game - just overall when attending week in, week out I prefer more open attacking creativity to watch on a regular basis.  That is more entertaining approach than minimising risk approach - the low risk approach I understand and appreciate in finals... not my cup of tea every week.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Disgraceful seems a rather strong word to use...

I leapt out my seat when it hit the post, and then chortled when Wellsby went over... yes I admired his never-give-up attitude... but to say it was disgraceful for someone to have an opinion it was a fluke seems over the top... 

For me it was an unexpected end to the game... I guess fluke has that meaning - unexpected. Although to add I have seen similar before.

full marks to Wellsby for anticipating or expecting it may happen..

Archived