garry schofield

7 hours ago, Loiner said:

More fool you for paying £1.80.  Don't know how they've cheek to put price up when for most of the year there's been no match reports.

And they have the cheek to make you pay to use their forum - money-grabbers!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yep good mate of mine, he was never wrong! 

And I thought that you didn't like soccer, Harry.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

37 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i always wonder why a few blokes are called garry instead of gary? why the need for the extra r when one is clearly enough, you wouldnt call someone brrian or marrk or brrendan would you?

No Johny.

7 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I thought it was a very good game, possibly even a great game. I wouldn't call it an all-time classic though, mostly for the reasons that Dunbar has outlined. I wouldn't want every game of RL I watched to be like that. That's just my preference. I still enjoyed it a lot, but even as I was watching it, I was hoping it would open up a bit more at some point.

As for the try, I'm maybe being harsh but I too thought that French was a bit slow to deal with it. I accept he was very unlucky with a couple of bounces, and the ball hitting the post is obviously unexpected, but I just felt he wasn't quick enough to chase after the ball and deal with it. Put it this way, if England lose a World Cup final or get knocked out by a try like that, I would be raging.

Hmmm...  Do you remember the 2013 World Cup semi where NZ beat us in the last minute?  There were a number of 'what ifs' in that game.   Hall just missed an interception and they got a lucky keep in touch to pass a ball.  

We nearly lost the 2017 semi. !!

In other news, I've just seen someone else say French 'switched off... that is just a dumb comment. Sadly French is not a mind reader.

The game had a lot of things to talk about which were in the end important, but in the topic of Schofield... he made a fair point to a degree.  That Manly game was no tries and hugely intense. As was this one and even more i think the earlier league game.  It was maybe a result of 2 quite evenly matched teams.  However the modern game leads us to play in the 'end zones'.  We see teams with 4 forward subs. Kicking to the corner flag.  I think Schofield as something of a point. 

It was an excellent game of rugby league, and had Wigan kicked the penalty would have been remembered as a very good tight final. 

Had it gone to golden point it would have been better than that. 

The fact that it finished as it did elevated it to classic status immediately as the finish is what makes sport great. You just can't script that stuff. 

But there are probably at least half a dozen other grand finals at least that I'd watch again before it, and that isn't a criticism, its a commentary on the fact that we have had an awful lot of good finals. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It was an excellent game of rugby league, and had Wigan kicked the penalty would have been remembered as a very good tight final. 

Had it gone to golden point it would have been better than that. 

The fact that it finished as it did elevated it to classic status immediately as the finish is what makes sport great. You just can't script that stuff. 

But there are probably at least half a dozen other grand finals at least that I'd watch again before it, and that isn't a criticism, its a commentary on the fact that we have had an awful lot of good finals. 

2012, 2013 and 2016 were crackers.

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

It was a fluke for him to spot the opportunity, get past French and touch the ball down without his body going out of play? I’d like to see you fluke that. 

^^^ This

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

9 hours ago, dkw said:

Calling that try a fluke is a disgraceful description of something we as a sport pride ourselves on, and thats not giving up, chasing everything to the final second of the game, pure effort after 80 minutes of battle by an astonishing young player. Its exactly the kind of thing every single coach at every single level of the sport should be showing all of their players, the rewards that come with incredible effort in the ultimate game in our country. To try and talk it down is disingenuous at best, bitter and pathetic at worst. Zeroing in on French making a mistake rather than Wellsby making the most of the tiniest opportunity sums up the miserable nature of so many of our so called supporters.

Exactly 

80th minute yet follows up on a kick....brilliant. Wigan fan

Why is Schofield not allowed to have an opinion? That's all it is.

Closeness is generally what makes games exciting. Two of the best games I've seen live were a 5-0 win against Widnes with no tries, and a 33-28 win against Wigan with something like 10 tries and defences all over the place.

20 minutes ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

Why is Schofield not allowed to have an opinion? That's all it is.

Who said he's not allowed one? I just think he has some very poor ones and it's my duty to point this out.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

15 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

It must be marvellous to be as intelligent as you clearly are.

I'm not the most intelligent poster on this forums i admit, but I'm certainly more intelligent than Schofield, mind you that wouldn't be hard.

It's beyond me how anybody can employ him to write articles about our game when he is so negative about it.

15 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Garry says what he thinks.

Sometimes you'll agree with him and sometimes you won't.

He doesn't write anything to strike a pose.

Fair enough. I don't know him so will go on what you say.

However, whilst he may not write anything to strike a pose, I bet he'd be gutted if he didn't get a reaction.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Lots of people commenting on something they haven't actually read, just for a change, so just to let y'all know Garry's column from this week's League Express is now available online for your delectation and delight:

https://www.totalrl.com/playing-to-the-end-garry-schofield-pays-tribute-to-a-remarkable-st-helens-victory/

As well as giving his opinion on the Grand Final, Schoey also praises (yes folks, praises) Sky TV for their Rob Burrow programme, and comments on Brett Hodgson's appointment as coach at Hull FC.

And yes, it is behind our paywall, because the staff at LPL would all like to be able to eat this Christmas, and we can't do that if we give all our content away for nowt. Times are tough, there's a pandemic on y'know. But despite that, you still get to read two premium articles a week on here for free, costing you nil, nowt, nada, as well as being able to post on here as much as you like (even slagging us off which is a bit rude but there you go) for the princely sum of zero pounds and no pennies.

Merry Christmas. 🎄

15 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

And they have the cheek to make you pay to use their forum - money-grabbers!

i actually think £1.80 is very reasonable for a paper that somehow manages to get all the results reports and news out on a monday morning sometimes after a good few sunday games.

and on mr schofield some of his articles are very good some are not, i just wish he could be more positive sometimes.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

I wonder if I've read a different article to most of the posters on here. Here are a few quotes from Garry's piece:

"Bevan is a brilliant player"

"Fair play to Saints and Jack though, because he spotted an opportunity and went for it."

"It’s those little details that make good teams into really good teams."

"And fair play to Tommy, because without his excellent kick, the subsequent chance wouldn’t have been there."

"I thought Wigan were the better team in the final 15 minutes"

"As for it being one of the greatest games going, as some have said, I’m not sure I’d go that far"

"It was certainly absorbing"

"both sides were strong, but Saints just had the edge"

It seems perfectly reasonable and balanced to me.

I agree with some of Schofield's articles and disagree with others. But I always try to read the article and form an opinion on what he has written rather than instantly making a judgement based on what I think I might read.  I also value the opinion of someone who has been there and done it whether I agree with him or not.

7 minutes ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

I wonder if I've read a different article to most of the posters on here. Here are a few quotes from Garry's piece:

"Bevan is a brilliant player"

"Fair play to Saints and Jack though, because he spotted an opportunity and went for it."

"It’s those little details that make good teams into really good teams."

"And fair play to Tommy, because without his excellent kick, the subsequent chance wouldn’t have been there."

"I thought Wigan were the better team in the final 15 minutes"

"As for it being one of the greatest games going, as some have said, I’m not sure I’d go that far"

"It was certainly absorbing"

"both sides were strong, but Saints just had the edge"

It seems perfectly reasonable and balanced to me.

I agree with some of Schofield's articles and disagree with others. But I always try to read the article and form an opinion on what he has written rather than instantly making a judgement based on what I think I might read.  I also value the opinion of someone who has been there and done it whether I agree with him or not.

Now what did you do that for...

I want him to say what I want him to say not what he actually said...

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I'm not the most intelligent poster on this forums i admit, but I'm certainly more intelligent than Schofield, mind you that wouldn't be hard.

It's beyond me how anybody can employ him to write articles about our game when he is so negative about it.

You may conceivably be more intelligent than Garry, but I doubt very much whether you are as knowledgeable or insightful about Rugby League as he is.

18 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

But French did switch off.

I don't think that takes away from Welsby. He still had to chase it, get to the ball first when the bounce changed and ground it before the line whilst keeping his body in play.

However, French (and this is massively in hindsight obviously) should have booted that has into next week. He let it bounce and positioned himself in a way as to try and catch it, either unaware of the chasers or confident he would collect it before they would. 

(Again, that's in hindsight. After 80 minutes of a grueling physical contest, and given such a split second time to make it, you expect some decisions to backfire).

just thinking allowed.. if Bevan French had booted it clear on the volley and it had gone between the uprights and over the bar... would that have meant the drop goal stood? I'm guessing as long as it hadnt hit the floor it would... 

just a hypothetical, i know he probably wouldnt have got there on the volley etc etc etc but just reading your post made me wonder.

10 minutes ago, RP London said:

just thinking allowed

It's allowed, yes.  But not mandatory. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Not 99% of the time.

I strongly disagreed with Garry on his view of the Toronto Wolfpack, for example, which was and is a rather big issue.

Most of the time it is just a bit of banter and normally I try not to make it personal. But Garry was more than once very disparaging of modern players and I found that very wrong, unnecessary and disrespectful. For that reason I don't tend to give him house room, though in terms of the GF I just disagree with him Totally which, of course, means he must be wrong!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

23 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I might come back tomorrow and read this just to check how controversial and different he is then.

I would disagree with your last word and substitute it for a somewhat shorter one, although I could still retain three out of the first four letters.

He never got over him leaving Hull have you ?

Archived