Leigh’s bid is in - SL ready

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

The focus will be on financial strength and ability to ride whatever is thrown at the sport, of course having the squad and facilities in place would get a mention

Leigh are probably in the box seat for me.  All I hope is that whichever club is given the spot we can see that the decision has been based solely on the criteria and no underhand shenanigans.

5 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Toronto is going away,  now I remember we used to have loads of tedious leigh threads.

Yes Barry, the vast majority of posters were not Leigh fans though, think about that one, Bradford, Toronto and Leigh get the most threads, Fev creeping up on the outside a nose in front of London, and now the yearling of York making an appearence. 

Good job we don't have to rely on SL clubs for something of interest to while away the hours, just saying.

I thought the video was great, did a good job of bringing out the atmosphere and passion Leigh can generate for big games. Did slightly get the giggles at the dodgy Rod Stewart tribute act though, I'd have cut that bit.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Am I the only one hoping that Fev's bid is on 1 page but hastily changed to 2 pages when they see the size of Leigh's bid and their promo video is like something from This Is England. Then the outcry when they get in because in the RFL's words "The Featherstone Rovers bid was the most complete and factual bid put together".

10 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Am I the only one hoping that Fev's bid is on 1 page but hastily changed to 2 pages when they see the size of Leigh's bid and their promo video is like something from This Is England. Then the outcry when they get in because in the RFL's words "The Featherstone Rovers bid was the most complete and factual bid put together".

Nah don't worry they paid £40 for Jay of the inbetweeners to give them a shout out 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Reminds me of the Bee Gees Staying Alive Video

2.png 

Was it essential that all 4 persons delivered the submission to both SL and RFL offices?

Or did they do this for a publicity stunt, neglecting the government guidance of staying at home?

1 hour ago, Niels said:

I think it is very well presented.

Importantly it has the support of Andy Burnham, who was the former rugby league president. He usually speaks a lot of sense and is very aware of the Leigh community. 

To me, we are always wanting more investment for the north.  Therefore it makes sense for those of us who live here to support a northern bid. 

Andy Burnham is a big Leigh supporter isn't he? I would expect him to support the bid if that's right, regardless of it's merits or de-merits.

This isn't about economic investment in the North, that's for the national/local Government we voted into power to lead on. The selection committees' brief is to measure against what is best for the SL using a set criteria regardless of where the applicant clubs are based.

16 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Was it essential that all 4 persons delivered the submission to both SL and RFL offices?

Or did they do this for a publicity stunt, neglecting the government guidance of staying at home?

They are too heavy for one person 😄 

2 hours ago, Niels said:

To me, we are always wanting more investment for the north.  Therefore it makes sense for those of us who live here to support a northern bid. 

The investment to north via rugby league is coming via the government 'northern powerhouse' support for the RLWC.

Showing the value to the whole region of backing the international game.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, binosh said:

I mean, what kind of idiot clicks on a thread about Leigh expecting the thread to contain stuff about Leigh.........

I don't think anyone has. I can certainly spot an idiot who has shown a severe lack of comprehension though.

Archived