Leigh’s bid is in - SL ready

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Leigh have put more effort into their application than anyone else and I think it's going to pay off for them.

Then with Leigh in Super League, Toulouse can have a great chance of promotion by winning the championship.

Based on what the number of pages in it?

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Was it essential that all 4 persons delivered the submission to both SL and RFL offices?

Or did they do this for a publicity stunt, neglecting the government guidance of staying at home?

YES, two of them know the way to Leeds - half each - and the other two know the way back to Manchester and then home🤔

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Andy Burnham is a big Leigh supporter isn't he? I would expect him to support the bid if that's right, regardless of it's merits or de-merits.

This isn't about economic investment in the North, that's for the national/local Government we voted into power to lead on. The selection committees' brief is to measure against what is best for the SL using a set criteria regardless of where the applicant clubs are based.

A couple of times I have seen Andy Burnham in the queue for one of the entrance gates to the North Stand (the popular end), I suppose he could have pulled the 'celebrity' tag and got free admittance and been wined and dined but as you say, he is a big Leigh fan and mingles with us waifs, strays and vagabonds.

33 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Leigh have put more effort into their application than anyone else and I think it's going to pay off for them.

Then with Leigh in Super League, Toulouse can have a great chance of promotion by winning the championship.

Leigh have put more effort into telling everyone about their bid. Others have gone about there business quietly whilst respecting the process. See London Broncos CEO comments about their submission. 

23 minutes ago, Wire quin said:

Leigh have put more effort into telling everyone about their bid. Others have gone about there business quietly whilst respecting the process. See London Broncos CEO comments about their submission. 

Have they? Leigh have waited until deadline day and made a couple of social media posts about it whereas York, Featherstone, Toulouse have been making almost daily mentions on their social media streams, with London and Bradford putting out multiple press releases too.

I think you and several other posters are showing your biases on this thread. 

Leigh have a solid bid and should be right up there for consideration. They have a great chance.

I haven't hidden my favouritism towards Toulouse simply because it can create a solid French foothold and stop us regressing geographically. Saying that, Leigh's ambition should be commended. 

No matter what Leigh did today the majority of this forum were going to rip it to shreds. I think they have gone about the process correctly.

FWIW after reading pages and pages of people slating LiVolsi (me included) for being under prepared and not being professional enough I think it shows a lot of hard work and preparation has gone into Leigh’s application by Derek and his team.

9 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Leigh have a solid bid and should be right up there for consideration. They have a great chance.

I haven't hidden my favouritism towards Toulouse simply because it can create a solid French foothold and stop us regressing geographically. Saying that, Leigh's ambition should be commended. 

I agree with all that and if it was up to me I'd pick Toulouse, not only does it make more sense for the game in France but it would also be more financially sensible for the Championship clubs not having to travel overseas in what is undoubtedly going to be another tough year with Covid.

1 hour ago, Wire quin said:

Really, Toulouse video was out virtually before Toronto were rejected. Heard nothing but Bradford and stock cars at Odsal for the last week. York and Featherstone were also quick off the mark and have regularly posted such on their websites.  What was that? You had no idea? Oh no it was "look at me I hate Leigh"

Here we go again .....

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

A couple of times I have seen Andy Burnham in the queue for one of the entrance gates to the North Stand (the popular end), I suppose he could have pulled the 'celebrity' tag and got free admittance and been wined and dined but as you say, he is a big Leigh fan and mingles with us waifs, strays and vagabonds.

How did he end up supporting Leigh? I thought he was born in Aintree and brought up in Warrington? (though for some reason calls himself a Scouser). 

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

I agree with all that and if it was up to me I'd pick Toulouse, not only does it make more sense for the game in France but it would also be more financially sensible for the Championship clubs not having to travel overseas in what is undoubtedly going to be another tough year with Covid.

Presumably SL will admit Toulouse, in hope that they’ll be able to kick them out when Covid means they can’t fulfil a fixture and they can share their (meagre) tv money out between themselves. 

Just now, Eddie said:

How did he end up supporting Leigh? I thought he was born in Aintree and brought up in Warrington? (though for some reason calls himself a Scouser). 

MP for Leigh prior to becoming mayor.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Archived