Talks underway to see the return of The Exiles

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which also means it isn’t a full international and as such the NRL clubs don’t have to release their players ... 

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I quite liked the Exiles as an identity. I think it's as strong a mid-season test as you're likely to get, combined with a game against France it could serve a good purpose. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

I can’t get my head around how anyone can support this. 

Firstly, the concept was rubbish the first time around. Exiles is a meaningless name and there’s nothing there. You had England players being booed and people supporting their own teams players. You also had players pulling out, there was never really any interest in it from players. 

Looking at what’s happened in the NRL and Internationally in the Southern Hemisphere and the plans that have been implemented at PNG Hunters/PNG, Fiji/Silktails and the rise of Tonga, we’re seeing the development of these countries on and off the pitch and we’re regressing to something we tried in 2011 just to appease Wane’s feet stamping. 

We could do for France, what the southern hemisphere has done for PNG or Fiji, but no, let’s do something we’ve done before and let’s hope for a different outcome. 

27 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Firstly, the concept was rubbish the first time around. Exiles is a meaningless name and there’s nothing there. You had England players being booed and people supporting their own teams players. You also had players pulling out, there was never really any interest in it from players. 

Looking at what’s happened in the NRL and Internationally in the Southern Hemisphere and the plans that have been implemented at PNG Hunters/PNG, Fiji/Silktails and the rise of Tonga, we’re seeing the development of these countries on and off the pitch and we’re regressing to something we tried in 2011 just to appease Wane’s feet stamping. 

We could do for France, what the southern hemisphere has done for PNG or Fiji, but no, let’s do something we’ve done before and let’s hope for a different outcome. 

Wasn't that Tomkins that was boo'd by the fans? I am pretty sure he would have been boo'd no matter the opponent.

Its a ruddy warm up game, nowt wrong with it... also probably a higher standard than what Wales, Jamaica, or even France could put out...

Its whats best for the England team. not wales, etc, let them do what's best for them... the Knights or whatever, Jam v Wales whatever...

I'd hate to be the England manager -if people on here always looking to always moan about him trying to get a warm up game.

Let the England coach do what he thinks best, whichever team that is..

30 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Its not a strategic decision, it purely seems looking for warm up games for the world cup....

If it was a long term decision to take account of strategic intent than maybe what you say would apply... Look upon as warm up game or games... 

I wouldn't care if they chose a Club team if it gives a chance for combinations to gel...

24 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Its not a strategic decision, it purely seems looking for warm up games for the world cup....

If it was a long term decision to take account of strategic intent than maybe what you say would apply... Look upon as warm up game or games... 

I wouldn't care if they chose a Club team if it gives a chance for combinations to gel...

Which again is a massive own goal. World Cup year and we’re trying to push the World Cup and sell tickets by playing...the Castoffs. Only in Rugby League 

Clearly this isn't ideal.

It reflects a failure of the RFL/SL to institute and develop mid-season tests against regional opposition like Wales and France for example. Its further symptomatic of the wider lack of planning and support going into England winning the World Cup in 2021.

FWIW you may as well get England playing Ireland considering they will actually play in the world cup and will be formed of 90% Super League based players like the Exiles. At least both teams will get something out of it.

All that said, there's some excellent potential players for an Exiles 13 - boosted by a litany of marquee players who will more than likely be playing at the world cup (just not for Oz and NZ).

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Which again is a massive own goal. World Cup year and we’re trying to push the World Cup and sell tickets by playing...the Castoffs. Only in Rugby League 

well if you can get a full team (without NRL drop outs) over from the Northern Hemisphere then great.

Reality though has to be made in any decision. Its a warm up game... need one to the highest standard we can find... if its a team of cast-offs then so be it... I would think even if "cast offs" they will be a higher standard than what wales (bearing no NRL) could put out....

Is there actually space in the calendar - or is this going to be midweek and/or on a weekend when there are club fixtures?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

well if you can get a full team (without NRL drop outs) over from the Northern Hemisphere then great.

Reality though has to be made in any decision. Its a warm up game... need one to the highest standard we can find... if its a team of cast-offs then so be it... I would think even if "cast offs" they will be a higher standard than what wales (bearing no NRL) could put out....

Quite, and in any case with the likes of Martin (PNG captain), Mau, Fonua, Hurrell, Lolohea, Murdoch-Masilla (Tonga), Tuimavave, Sao, the new Wakefield half who's name escapes me (Samoa) Naqama (Fiji), there is some top talent in that side who will likely be represented at the World Cup too.

Added to that is Sezer, Folau, Maloney, French and that is suddenly a very formidable squad. Being even more controversial, Hastings and Austin only played for GB not England too.

14 minutes ago, Celt said:

What was it you liked about it?

The last time they played, the crowd was 7900 to watch the national team play against this group. If playing for England means running out in front of 7000-odd, then either England, or "the Exiles" are not very attractive. 

I am not English but I suspect it is the Exiles brand that is not doing it for people. 

As a suggestion, could the Exiles realistically play games against anyone else as well? In order to build their brand a bit, as well as help develop the game? It all seems very artificial, and although the Exiles do get the chance to prepare properly etc, seems like a wasted opportunity to grow the international game by playing against a proper national team.

Don't think we'd get many fans to the stadium if it was any of the home nations or France.

Let just see this as it is... a warm up game that England won't have otherwise against a reasonable standard level and better than Wales, etc...

If we can get a high standard team from Northern Hemisphere as I said previously, great. Reality is we won't. So what's the next best for a warm up game for England coach benefit as distinct from any strategic intent which this ain't.

4 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

It's a game of rugby league involving the England team. That's better than nothing. It's in June too, which is a bonus.

Its not better than vs Wales or France 

Its anti development and goes against all arguments for a GB team.

If I was a SL owner I would not be releasing players for a micky mouse team!

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

France, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Jamaica have all qualified for the tournament and you can make seventeen man squads for each nation with ease whilst also promoting the nations, the World Cup and games involving those nations in certain places (France in Doncaster, Jamaica and Ireland in Leeds). 

Archived