Sir Kevin - 7 days - 7 marathons - for Robbie

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rugby female said:

OK, I take your criticism. But I still feel the same about the Honours nonsense and the reason I posted on here is because posters were asking for Kevin to receive an Honour. 

So your issue is just with the honours system?

Have you seen how much MND raises a year through donations generally, KS has raised almost 20% of their normal donations in about 3 weeks.

It isn't just the physical act of 7 marathons in 7 days, it's the increased awareness of the disease too. That is where KS differentiates from others doing similar charity work.

7 hours ago, rugby female said:

Let's stop this utter nonsense. There are ordinary people every day of the week who are out there raising money or giving their time etc to whichever cause/ person they feel is dear to their heart. ( quietly, without any Press) And believe me the majority of people are doing this to support a family member or friend. But they do not have the advatage of  Press/TV coverage of whatever they are doing like Kevin etc. I applaud Kevin for his wonderful efforts but he is not alone in his amazing endeavours. I detest the 'Honours List', it is usually just a bunch of z list celebs trying to get something for nothing, and then any and every one of them using that Honour to their advantage. The Honours List should be abolished and anyone who received one in the past should be cancelled. If not then for me why are we not giving every single member of the NHS ( i mean everyone, domestics, volunteers etc) the same recognition?  We live in a very odd world. 😞

You don't really know much about the honours system as itvis now, do you. In any Cas,  the place to debate that is on the political sub forum.

If they gave Kevin Sinfield a Knighthood it wont be for services to RL . It will be a well deserved award for a worthy cause . We will still be awaiting a former player being Knighted for services to RL . 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 18/12/2020 at 15:39, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

It was the speaker.

So Lindsay Hoyle  voiced  for all of us on here Kev's nickname  and gave the PM a short ball in true northern style.  The PM fell for it twice. 

That said  the PM is a man who covers up well after the event.........

10 minutes ago, del capo said:

So Lindsay Hoyle  voiced  for all of us on here Kev's nickname  and gave the PM a short ball in true northern style.  The PM fell for it twice. 

That said  the PM is a man who covers up well after the event.........

That's a matter of opinion that belongs on the political sub forum

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Rather more an RL comment / gest from our supporters even in the highest places than a political one. I put it down to a joke that the buffoon fell for. His own party questions are fed to him well beforehand so pre prep may have been an issue.

The Honours list is of course independently policed / assessed .

Sinfield has become a beacon for our game and we need to shout it loud and clear on here.

Moderators feel free to move this post to the non rugby area with little readership by all means........

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Yes it does this thread is for talking about a great effort from a friend to a friend to show him he is ther for him . Let's keep our political beliefs away from here 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Did Kevin get a mention on the SPOTY?

Yes. By the programme's standards a fairly long section culminating in an on stage interview.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. By the programme's standards a fairly long section culminating in an on stage interview.

Plus he announced the trophy winners at the end of the show.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 5 weeks later...

Just seen this on the BBC - a glimmer of hope MND might be reversible

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-55718363

They discovered in human stem cell models of MND, the axon - the long part of the motor neuron cell that connects to the muscle - was shorter than in healthy cells.

And the movement of the mitochondria, which travel up and down the axons, was impaired

The scientists showed that this was caused by a defective energy supply from the mitochondria and that by boosting the mitochondria, the axon reverted back to normal.

Dr Arpan Mehta, who led the study at Euan MacDonald Centre for MND research said: "The importance of the axon in motor nerve cells cannot be understated.

"Our data provides hope that by restoring the cell's energy source we can protect the axons and their connection to muscle from degeneration.

• 3 months later...

The money raised for motor neurone disease from Kevin Sinfield’s ‘7 in 7’ marathon challenge has been doubled after a medical research charity agreed to match it.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/kevin-sinfields-marathon-fund-raising-pot-doubles-for-mnd/?utm_content=bufferef8c4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not quite, £500,000 of the £2.2 will be doubled, every penny counts especially at the moment

"Sinfield’s efforts raised £2.2million for the MND Association in total in support of his friend and former Leeds team-mate Rob Burrow, who was diagnosed with the condition in December 2019.

Of that funding, £500,000 was targeted directly to research and LifeArc, a medical research charity, has now matched it, to boost research funding by £1m in total."

45 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Not quite, £500,000 of the £2.2 will be doubled, every penny counts especially at the moment

"Sinfield’s efforts raised £2.2million for the MND Association in total in support of his friend and former Leeds team-mate Rob Burrow, who was diagnosed with the condition in December 2019.

Of that funding, £500,000 was targeted directly to research and LifeArc, a medical research charity, has now matched it, to boost research funding by £1m in total."

Oops, missed that. Still good news.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived