GROUNDS WITH SPEEDWAY/DOG TRACKS/ATHLETICS VISITED

Yes I know too much time on ones hands:) LOL

After the grounds visited I thought I would start this one (The dreaded stadium with a speedway/greyhound/athletics track around it:( YUK and dont we hate them.

OK I will kick this off (It has to be a visit to a RL match whilst the stadium was still being used for any of the above)

HULL KR x 2 (Old/New Craven Park) Speedway/Doggies

HULL FC (Boulevard/Speedway)

FULHAM x 2 (Crystal Palace) Athletics (Barnet) Athletics

WHITE CITY (Athletics)

BRADFORD NORTHERN (Speedway)

WEMBLEY (Old) Speedway/Doggies

X111 CATALAN (Athletics) (Gilbert Brutus)

AVIGNON (Athletics)

CARCASSONNE (Athletics)

VILLENEUVE SUR-LOT (Athletics)

ST GAUDENS (Athletics) (Stadium used for TV matches only)

CARPENTRAS (Athletics) (Stadium used for TV matches only)

TOULOUSE FC (Treize Tournai Final 1998) Athletics

X111 CATALAN (Football stadium) Athletics

ALBI (Athletics)

ROCDALE HORNETS (Speedway)

WORKINGTON TOWN (Speedway)

SHEFFIELD EAGLES (Owlerton) Doggies

CAHORS (Athletics)

KENT INVICTA (Maidstone) Doggies

BLACKPOOL BOROUGH (Cannot remember if it was speedway or dogies)

Stade Français France v England (Athletics)

Millenium (Cardiff) Speedway

Gateshead England v France (Athletics)

Nottingham (Harvey Hadden) Athletics

LONDON SKOLARS (Athletics)

ARGELES (France) UTC (Athletics)

Olympic Stadium (Barcelona) Athletics

I will rack my BRAINS out for a few more tonight:)

Paul

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I will rack my Brians out for a few more tonight:)

Are they the guys who travel with you?

Athletic Grounds (Rochdale), speedway and stock cars.

Copeland Athletics Stadium (Hensingham, Whitehaven), amateur RL only.

Doncaster have played - several times - at the athletics track next door to the Keepmoat. 

Doncaster Dragons had a couple of seasons at the Meadow Court (Stainforth) dog track.

Gateshead (x2) (International Stadium and Monkton Stadium, Jarrow), both athletics.

Goole (Victoria Pleasure Grounds, used for professional 'A' team games), athletics.

Halifax played at least once (v Widnes, 1985-86) at The Shay when the speedway track was in place.

Hunslet (x2) (ERGS, dogs and SLS, athletics).

London Broncos (Crystal Palace Athletics Stadium).

North Wales Crusaders (Queensway Stadium), athletics.

Oxford (Tilsley Park, Abingdon), athletics.

Sheffield Eagles (DVS), athletics.

Stanley Stadium, former home of Liverpool Stanley, had speedway and dog tracks.

Didn't Gloucestershire All Golds play at an athletics track (Prince of Wales, Cheltenham)?

Back in the mists, Newcastle played at Brough Park (speedway and dogs).

Can't think of many amateur clubs that have the misfortune to play at an athletics track. Latchford Albion?

York City Knights (Huntington Stadium), Sheffield Eagles (Don Valley), Hunslet Hawks (South Leeds Stadium), Gateshead Thunder (Gateshead International Stadium), London Skolars (New River Stadium) and Stade Jean-Bouin (Stade Francais RU, France v England) all spring to mind as grounds that I've been to with an athletics track.

No idea if Bradford or Workington were in use as stock car venues when I've been there, but it's probably fair to say there haven't been any major changes to either ground.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

London Olympic Stadium. 

Didn’t they use the Olympic Stadium in Barcelona for a Catalans game?

Forgot about 'West Ham', I went to the England v New Zealand game there.

Catalans v Warrington was at Olympic Stadium (Espanyol's ground) in Barcelona

7 minutes ago, JonM said:

Harvey Hadden Stadium Nottingham? (OK, it was neither speedway, dogs, nor athletics).

The athletics track wasn't there when England vs NZ was played at the London Olympic stadium.

it was, sort of..  the seats go over the top of it.. if you are in the bottom tier you can look down onto the athletics track when walking down to your seat

16 minutes ago, JonM said:

Some of the Aussie grounds that double up as cricket ovals are worse in terms of distance from the action.

Absolutely did the MCG tour a few years ago,couldn't believe how big the playing surface was.

Hoghton Road, Sutton, St Helens had a dog track when Highfield played there.

From wikipedia

A short lived greyhound racing track was opened by the St Helens Greyhound Company. The first meeting was on 2 July 1993 and the increased income helped the club make a profit. The racing was independent (not affiliated to the sports governing body the National Greyhound Racing Club) and was known as a flapping track, which was the nickname given to independent tracks. Despite the rugby team leaving in 2000 the last greyhound meeting was held on 9 October 2001.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Stanley Stadium, former home of Liverpool Stanley, had speedway and dog tracks.

Nice list @Hopping Mad  As you went to the Stanley Athletics Grounds do you remember where they were? The Wikipedia page says “there are no indications on modern maps as to the exact location of this”.  Cheers 👍

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_City_(1906)

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Nice list @Hopping Mad  As you went to the Stanley Athletics Grounds do you remember where they were? The Wikipedia page says “there are no indications on modern maps as to the exact location of this”.  Cheers 👍

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_City_(1906)

I'm not that old, Eddie! When I lived in Liverpool, I did go for a look at where it used to be.

A fruit & vegetable market (may not be there any more) was built on the stadium site, off Church Road, on land between Prescot Road and Edge Lane. A railway line (extant, I think) was adjacent. The stadium, in the Old Swan district of the city and by all accounts a bit of a dump, was called Stanley Greyhound Stadium (speedway had a couple of spells there).

Chapter and verse (and pics!) in Mike Brocken's excellent book, Liverpool City RLFC, Rugby League in a Football City.

Archived