Marshall...again

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Solid appointment for Salford. In the mould of Ian Watson and Danny Ward in getting a lot from a little.

Presume he will keep Rowley as assistant too which should help.

In what sense? I know a lot of people kept saying we overachieved but we had one of the biggest budgets in the Championship. Nice bloke, really good assistant coach, but i feel it's mistake for him to leave Saints and a mistake for Salford to appoint him head coach. Expect Salford to be doing it tough, coming through adversity, and learning from their mistakes quite a lot next season or two.

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

In what sense? I know a lot of people kept saying we overachieved but we had one of the biggest budgets in the Championship. Nice bloke, really good assistant coach, but i feel it's mistake for him to leave Saints and a mistake for Salford to appoint him head coach. Expect Salford to be doing it tough, coming through adversity, and learning from their mistakes quite a lot next season or two.

Tbh I didn't read up too much into it and as a Fax fan you'll know more, but it wasn't loads of money is what I'm saying.

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

but we had one of the biggest budgets in the Championship

Yes but four pence more than everyone else doesn't really do a great deal.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

28 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Nice to see a young British coach getting a chance.

Spot on and if Watto's not stolen the playing staff by the time he takes up the position there's the makings of a very good squad in place.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbh I didn't read up too much into it and as a Fax fan you'll know more, but it wasn't loads of money is what I'm saying.

Yeah not loads of money by any stretch but the couple of times that we did get the extra funding lets just say the signings were questionable. The fact that we pretty much ended up with Karl Harrison's team and have needed to do pretty much a full clear out is probably worth noting.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah not loads of money by any stretch but the couple of times that we did get the extra funding lets just say the signings were questionable. The fact that we pretty much ended up with Karl Harrison's team and have needed to do pretty much a full clear out is probably worth noting.

By way of comparison, while Richard Marshall was coaching Halifax at the top end of the Championship, Ian Watson was (briefly) coaching a hapless, hopeless Swinton down at the bottom end of the same league. Richard then went on to be assistant coach at a club that won back to back Super League championships, serving under a coach who is now coaching in the NRL and under another on whom the jury is perhaps still out, while Ian Watson went on to become assistant coach at a club that regularly featured in relegation battles, serving under a coach on whom the jury is very much back in and has delivered its verdict, a verdict which had the judge reaching for his black cap.

The two have had broadly similar career trajectories, but one has been at a higher level each step of the way, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

26 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

By way of comparison, while Richard Marshall was coaching Halifax at the top end of the Championship, Ian Watson was (briefly) coaching a hapless, hopeless Swinton down at the bottom end of the same league. Richard then went on to be assistant coach at a club that won back to back Super League championships, serving under a coach who is now coaching in the NRL and under another on whom the jury is perhaps still out, while Ian Watson went on to become assistant coach at a club that regularly featured in relegation battles, serving under a coach on whom the jury is very much back in and has delivered its verdict, a verdict which had the judge reaching for his black cap.

That's one of the most spectacular hot takes I've seen.

37 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

The two have had broadly similar career trajectories, but one has been at a higher level each step of the way, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Chill Richard we wish you all the best.

Marshall seems to be widely liked, comes acros as genial and friendly and is clearly bright. You just wonder whether he's too much of a nice guy. He seemed great at Halifax when they were on a roll a few years ago, but as soon as things started to go wrong he seemed unable to do anything to stop the slump. As Blues Ox says, for his last couple of years his interviews at Fax just seemed to be a repetition of the same old cliches.

Maybe his time at Saints will have given him a new dimension. He has a tough act to follow at Salford.

12 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Marshall seems to be widely liked, comes acros as genial and friendly and is clearly bright. You just wonder whether he's too much of a nice guy. He seemed great at Halifax when they were on a roll a few years ago, but as soon as things started to go wrong he seemed unable to do anything to stop the slump. As Blues Ox says, for his last couple of years his interviews at Fax just seemed to be a repetition of the same old cliches.

Maybe his time at Saints will have given him a new dimension. He has a tough act to follow at Salford.

Im interested to see how he goes with his signings. As mentioned by the time he left Fax the team was still just about Karl Harrisons team with most of Marshalls signings failing and having to be moved along and it became very clear that a few of the old guard needed changing but failure to do that left the team stagnating and needing the full clear out which has now happened.

He is a relly nice guy though and its hard not to like him but he will need a strong team around him, I think Marlon Billy might be at Salford? He will be good to have around to keep the players in check and he will do well to keep Rowley who can help him to make the big decisions when his indecision sets in.

Marlon Billy is at Salford and I think Rowley will be staying. Coupled with Ian Blease being hands on may make it easier on Marshall.

On the whole I am happy, better than some of the names touted. We still have some senior players around such as Moose to offer support.

Sad to see Marshall leave as I think he would have been in with a shout as the next Saints head coach further down the track. I think he's continue where Watson left off at Salford, achieving well above what their budget & playing roster indicate they should be at compared to other SL clubs. Overall good appointment.

His departure at Saints I suspect may well now see Wellens step up into the assistant role. I bet Longy is also now regretting taking on the Leeds job as he would probably have just walked back into the job at Saints. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

9 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Sad to see Marshall leave as I think he would have been in with a shout as the next Saints head coach further down the track. I think he's continue where Watson left off at Salford, achieving well above what their budget & playing roster indicate they should be at compared to other SL clubs. Overall good appointment.

His departure at Saints I suspect may well now see Wellens step up into the assistant role. I bet Longy is also now regretting taking on the Leeds job as he would probably have just walked back into the job at Saints. 

Long alluded on Sky, when he was doing the analysis stuff, that he’d been offered a job at Saints but turned it down. 

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Long alluded on Sky, when he was doing the analysis stuff, that he’d been offered a job at Saints but turned it down. 

The he woke up!

In any case

image.png.e0c1d65a1b257b34fc6fd4991e4d4c7c.png    and    image.png.39f73e0ea1855f6fceb0be8b73839238.png

12 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Given he's only just signed a long term deal with Leeds it would have been a crappy thing to do to walk out on it so early just to come back to Saints even thought they wanted him back.

I can still se Longy being back at Saints at some point in the future though.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

The announcement of Burke was funny. Andy Ackers is having far too much fun 🙂

Aren't we all now the coach is in place and we can move on.

All we need is a few more bits of good news.

Favourites to be in the relegation battle? You're havin' a LARF'.

Archived