Anyone miss scrums in the GF?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely think the reasoning given this season was a bit of a convenient lie so that we could see what the game looks like without them.

I don't miss them at all. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

I thought it was about time we had a chat about scrums. We have been putting it off for too long.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'm with Scubby.  Keep them, tidy them up a bit and ensure they can be used as an attacking weapon.

I don't care if a scrum is never won against the head as long as they look ok.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Didn't miss them at all in the GF and have noticed their absence less and less each week as the season wore on. I notice players and coaches have also stopped talking about their absence in recent weeks.

Same with the tackle restart for interference, teams have adjusted to that well. There are very few in an average game now and it's tidied up the PTB. There are no longer the complaints about it making the game too fast which popped up when it first came in.

18 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

There are no longer the complaints about it making the game too fast which popped up when it first came in.

This may be because teams have realised they can slow the game down by standing offside for 30 seconds at every hand over while the clock runs down, very exciting...

4 minutes ago, Celt said:

I had not been aware of this law change. It seems really bizarre that it has happened in the NRL and not elsewhere, as it is quite a "big" change if you know what I mean.

Seems weird that international matches will not have thus, yet NRL games will. (Even more weed than other rule variations).

That aside, it looks like an interesting move, as it gives the scrum some importance and value, and as you say... should encourage inventive attack and tries from scrums.

The Super League scrum 'tactuc' used by every club seems to be ball to player at first receiver, who performs a very safe Hit Up. Why?? We have a 7 v 7 which is very rare in RL... Why not try to use our skills to exploit this space?

Probably because that involves innovating instead of imitating , I've suggested in the past how interesting it would be to put 5 on one wing and one on the other at a scrum , just to see what the defending players do ? 🤔

3 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I forgot about their absence.

Me too. Wait till there’s a knockonathon on a wet evening next spring, then you’ll remember all about them. Zzzzzz.

I’m an advocate for giving the attacking side the option of a scrum or tap restart at the captain’s discretion.

Read earlier today the new NRL rules commitee are looking at possibly dropping scrums or at least looking at ways To fix whatever the NRL see's as being wrong.

if the NRL drop them, we won't bring them back.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I can't see the NRL scrapping scrums.  Everyone was raving about how the new scrum laws were opening up attacking opportunities and how tries from scrums were on the increase in 2020. I don't see that being turned around.

12 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Didn't notice their absence until this thread came up. Whichever way they go, with or without them, I hope it is the same in both hemispheres. 

Good luck with that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

i'd bring them back but enforce the binding, no early break etc, ball out when it is out not when it is at the loose forwards feet... also they only happen in centre field no matter the infringement.. opens up both sides of the pitch and makes "trick plays" more possible.. (get rid of them for the ball going out of play.. thats just a tap restart IMHO).

I missed them, I think the game is poorer for not having them. 

I have really enjoyed this season, so I am loathe to focus on a negative, but for the first time, I do feel that I can see what some of the naysayers say about RL, that it is repetitive and a little like British Bulldog. 

The Grand Final was utterly absorbing, but there were large parts of the game where it was not far off 5 drives and a floated kick to the corner. This wasn't such an issue in a game like the GF which was being played at such a high standard and had huge stakes on the line, but I miss some of the variety.

I’d have them . I like the NRL idea of just nominated forwards in scrums . The scrum to me wasn’t the problem , it was the total lack of respect for  , and disintegration of  them so they became a joke . Personally I don’t like the endless turnover , its very ‘ samey ‘ . The scrum is variety and can , and should be , an attacking opportunity for coaches and teams . And it should be a contest for possession , more of which is a good thing 

Archived