Grassroots RU back training and playing from the 18th

I saw yesterday that grassroots rugby union are back in contact training then allowing adapted games from the 18th.

Why are the RFL always lagging behind and hold onto the coat tails.

I know the majority of our pro/community clubs would normally be out of season this time of year, but community clubs have had very little if lucky enough to have any time on the field at all during 2020.

In my opinion We've already lost players to football who have been playing regularly now we are risking losing more to union.

I think RFL could have followed suit or got on the front foot and allowed training or inter club games during the run up and into the xmas period that would have given clubs somthing to promote and look forward too.

Or do we think the RFL are right in sitting back to see what action to take?

11 minutes ago, topcentre21 said:

I saw yesterday that grassroots rugby union are back in contact training then allowing adapted games from the 18th.

I know the majority of our pro/community clubs would normally be out of season this time of year, but community clubs have had very little if lucky enough to have any time on the field at all during 2020.

In my opinion We've already lost players to football who have been playing regularly now we are risking losing more to union.

I think RFL could have followed suit or got on the front foot and allowed training or inter club games during the run up and into the xmas period that would have given clubs somthing to promote and look forward too.

Or do we think the RFL are right in sitting back to see what action to take?

There is an argument to be had on both sides. 

The community game in RU IIRC has basically been cancelled for this year. They are allowing teams to arrange their own matches under these adapted rules which are frankly awful.. we have been trying to get the kids (u13s)  to play them before this last lockdown and we ended up adapting them again as they were overly complicated and a bit toss.. At the club my son plays at they are having "open training sessions" for the first team squad on saturdays going forward simply hoping people will want to go along and buy beer... which is good as they need the money.. (however, the rules are heavy for the spectators and are being enforced)

Its also more complicated than just playing games, the issue of travel between tiers and social distancing amongst crowds and players pre and post match is potentially complicated.. if the club is relatively open to the public in terms of their ability to view what is going on they are putting themselves at risk of fines etc by the slightest issues that a ravenous public report them for. 

AFAIK RL teams can train as before this second lock down so are able to do the same as the RU clubs. The RFL have not gone into arranging games between clubs and I am not sure they are wrong on this. it is complicated enough trying to organise your own club to be sensible without adding in a complete unknown of an opposition who could land you with closing down orders and massive fines.. 

its frankly an absolute nightmare and i do not envy those high up in these clubs. BUT the RFL rules I dont believe have changed and are influenced by the local tier system. The RFU have allowed you to organise matches but i wait to be convinced that any will be organised before March when the weather will improve and more of a "festival" can be held outside etc. 

To all intense and purposes,the RU season,below Premiership is effectively cancelled for now.

A few clubs are arranging limited training sessions and there have been a few inter club games of essentially touch and pass. Otherwise,everything is closed down.

This is subject to constant review,like everything else but at present,we are not expecting any meaningful inter club games until at least march/april,at best.

I was told RFL said no activity till jan?

My local RU team start back training tonight with a busy festive schedule of games. Which ill go down and watch just to get out watching rugby again.

Its not the RFU organising games, the clubs are doing it between themselves i believe. Fair play to them for giving players some normality and getting back out on the field.

1 hour ago, topcentre21 said:

Not sure where you get this, The RFL had training for a long time and juniors playing games in October and would have carried on into November but for the 2nd lockdown, some open age games were also played. The agreement with DCMS that following this activity there would be no games in December but could restart in Jan. Union have had no games yet at this same level.  The RFL staff have worked tirelessly to get agreement with DCMS to get activity restarted and your comments show a total lack of knowledge of what has been going on.

In france we can start training from today for adults and since Saturday for kids, the adults aren't allowed any contact and social distancing, contact allowed from the 15th December i think, well for u18s its sure, with a restart of the matches from the 20th January 

52 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Not sure where you get this, The RFL had training for a long time and juniors playing games in October and would have carried on into November but for the 2nd lockdown, some open age games were also played. The agreement with DCMS that following this activity there would be no games in December but could restart in Jan. Union have had no games yet at this same level.  The RFL staff have worked tirelessly to get agreement with DCMS to get activity restarted and your comments show a total lack of knowledge of what has been going on.

Your right i dont know the full facts.

I get most of my information from my sons coaches he plays both RL and RU and the difference in the sessions etc.

For example his union team started back before rl after the first lockdown.

They was hitting bags,shields and went into contact while his rl team was still training in bubbles. This could have been the coaches personal preference but he told us he was under strict restrictions from rfl.

BUT.. my lad played 2 games of rugby towards the end of this year both RL.

So i applaud the RFL and the groups who put in the hard yards to make that possible.

Maybe i could have worded my original post better? I was just speaking from my own experiences.

I also am aware of it being off season for the majority of clubs.But usually the xmas period is used by alot of clubs to host charity games or past vs present games etc which ive been told they cant do this year. So will miss out on the income unfortunately.

1 hour ago, topcentre21 said:

I was told RFL said no activity till jan?

My local RU team start back training tonight with a busy festive schedule of games. Which ill go down and watch just to get out watching rugby again.

Its not the RFU organising games, the clubs are doing it between themselves i believe. Fair play to them for giving players some normality and getting back out on the field.

are they playing the "Ready for Rugby" adapted rules? be interesting to see what you think.. 

1 minute ago, topcentre21 said:

I get most of my information from my sons coaches he plays both RL and RU and the difference in the sessions etc.

They was hitting bags,shields and went into contact while his rl team was still training in bubbles. This could have been the coaches personal preference but he told us he was under strict restrictions from rfl.

So i applaud the RFL and the groups who put in the hard yards to make that possible.

Maybe i could have worded original post better? I was just speaking from my own experiences.

I also am aware of it being off season for the majority of clubs.But usually the xmas period is used by alot of clubs to host charity games or past vs present games etc which ive been told they cant do this year. So will miss out on the income unfortunately.

when was he doing that? i hope it wasnt through the summer months as RU have a mandatory 6 week break over the summer for under 18s i believe and that was still in force this summer. 

when we were allowed back we were straight back into "normal" training.. but there is a limit on face to face contact (15 minutes) and that includes pad work and no mauls. Was difficult to arrange good training around the restrictions but we did our best. 

I am aware of one club in our area who was breaking these rules but we were careful knowing we didnt want to put the kids in any more danger than they needed to be in as parents could walk away if they felt that way.. although we did lose some to the team breaking the rules... delicate balance.

1 minute ago, RP London said:

are they playing the "Ready for Rugby" adapted rules? be interesting to see what you think.. 

Yes i saw that, if im honest ill enjoy it more as I'm a massive RL fan I prefer to watch it. My son just likes playing rugby so he plays both codes (rather that than go to football)

So im hoping it speeds up yawnion.

1 minute ago, topcentre21 said:

Yes i saw that, if im honest ill enjoy it more as I'm a massive RL fan I prefer to watch it. My son just likes playing rugby so he plays both codes (rather that than go to football)

So im hoping it speeds up yawnion.

We found it difficult with the 4 tackles but can get touched twice before it is a tackle.. then the count resets if you cross the half way line.. if you get touched once you have to pass but the second touch means you throw it in the air and then pass etc.. was all getting too much so we made it more like RL for our kids and simple with a simple tackle count. 

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

We found it difficult with the 4 tackles but can get touched twice before it is a tackle.. then the count resets if you cross the half way line.. if you get touched once you have to pass but the second touch means you throw it in the air and then pass etc.. was all getting too much so we made it more like RL for our kids and simple with a simple tackle count. 

I think thats why I like RL because its simple ha.

Ive been watching union for some time now and still dont get all the rules. 

11 minutes ago, topcentre21 said:

Maybe i could have worded my original post better? I was just speaking from my own experiences.

My apologies that my reply was over the top to you.

The rules from the RFL were very strict and I know that tackle bags/shields were not allowed to be used. I live in Wales and my kids play at a union club, they have been allowed to train and now are allowed to play touch against local clubs but the parents have decided they do not want this to happen due to the risk.

Just now, Impartial Observer said:

My apologies that my reply was over the top to you.

The rules from the RFL were very strict and I know that tackle bags/shields were not allowed to be used. I live in Wales and my kids play at a union club, they have been allowed to train and now are allowed to play touch against local clubs but the parents have decided they do not want this to happen due to the risk.

In england the tackle bag is allowed to be used but should be wiped down after each person has "hit it"... its a pain! but you plan around it and get the same person to hit it multiple times.. just means the drills are different.. 

5 minutes ago, topcentre21 said:

I think thats why I like RL because its simple ha.

Ive been watching union for some time now and still dont get all the rules. 

Unions complications come in the breakdown i've switched across to coaching it ok (as my son wanted to play) but why they have overcomplicated this "ready for rugby" game is beyond me.. nice and simple is so much better but wonder whether there is a fear of it being too much like league.. 

14 minutes ago, RP London said:

Unions complications come in the breakdown i've switched across to coaching it ok (as my son wanted to play) but why they have overcomplicated this "ready for rugby" game is beyond me.. nice and simple is so much better but wonder whether there is a fear of it being too much like league.. 

I think the old stalwarts of union will not embrace the new rules.

They will liken it to league and that will leave a bitter taste in their mouths.

43 minutes ago, Celt said:

People who are concerned about losing players to that sport?

Bit drama Queenie that!

In all likelihood anyone who'd go, would've gone anyway. Panic buttons during a pandemic, always a good idea.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived