Newcastle submit Championship application

39 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Twice in a decade now that Betts has been promoted without winning the division!

"As I walk down the street
Seems everyone I meet
Gives me a friendly hello
I guess I'm just a lucky so and so"

41 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Twice in a decade now that Betts has been promoted without winning the division!

Well, When the boat comes in!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

You think they’ll be a lot weaker than Oldham or Whitehaven?

Whitehaven have recruited well this off season so I don't think they'll be relegated next season. As stated, if Newcastle are to stand a chance they need to recruit now as the current crop they have arent up to standard IMO. 

Very pleased it is Newcastle. Be interesting to see who they get on the Friday night of Magic weekend as that's traditionally their largest gate. Hopefully it'll be Leigh with their big away support and they can set a new attendence record.

Congrats guys! A reward for the hard work put in over the years, although once again I wish it could have been decided on the field of play and I feel really sorry for Barrow. Now the hard work starts, the role model has to be York, who have steadily progressed since their promotion. As some have pointed out we can’t get carried away here, recruitment will be needed and the target is not the SL wannabies, but finishing above Oldham, Swinton, Haven. As a side thought I wonder if any of the SL aspirationals have thought about trying to recruit Denis Betts, given that he seems to be the master of winning promotion without on field success!

2 hours ago, clogdance said:

Not really surprised Newcastle got the nod, not too sure what their home crowds were though, but I guess not many in league 1 (last season) got over 1K for a game. Hopefully they will get 4 figure crowds in the championship.I know they are ambitous, but you can't fulfil that without speccys.

average 1100 in the 2019 season.

31 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Very pleased it is Newcastle. Be interesting to see who they get on the Friday night of Magic weekend as that's traditionally their largest gate. Hopefully it'll be Leigh with their big away support and they can set a new attendence record.

Rather than typing again set below

3 hours ago, NERugbyDad said:

At this year's postponed magic thunder were supposed to be playing Doncaster at St James as the opening game on the Saturday so probably will be the same next year just not donny.

Friday at kingston park was going to be the reserves and the academy teams playing there counterparts from leeds.

24 minutes ago, Thunder fan said:

average 1100 in the 2019 season.

Actually with what you posted last week one game you had an over double att of over 1800 and another game 1250, the others averaged between 500 to 800 so 2 games gave a distorted average over the season if what you posted is correct? 

35 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Actually with what you posted last week one game you had an over double att of over 1800 and another game 1250, the others averaged between 500 to 800 so 2 games gave a distorted average over the season if what you posted is correct? 

You do understand how mean averages work?

14 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Anyone seen this Reset document - one of the criteria met by Newcastle?

‘’Delivering the broader goals of the sport as set out in the RFL’s Strategy Reset document.”

Its under About the RFL on the main menu, then into strategy & reports. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

You think they’ll be a lot weaker than Oldham or Whitehaven?

Whitehaven have recruited very well, brought in several Aussies and players like Gregg McNally, so yes I do. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

47 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Averages tend to work like that. 

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

But the season doesn't start tomorrow,they will obviously recruit a higher quality player now they have moved up a level which will enable them to at least compete with the Oldham's,Swinton's and Whitehaven's of the division.

Where they going to sign these higher quality players from at this late stage ? 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Is it a late stage, the season isn’t starting for 4 months. 

Players were officially off-contract at end of November, most have their next deal already sorted by then as they can talk to other clubs from July. Any player of decent quality will already be signed up even if not yet announced. They tend to end one contract on 30th November and commence a new one on 1st December to ensure continuity of income.

Plus the season starts in 2 months, not 4, if you discount the festive period. First week in March is the target start date for Championship and League 1. Clubs will want their squad finalised by end of January at latest. Some clubs have already started pre-season training including Newcastle Thunder. They really haven’t got much time at all to prepare and recruit.

8 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Players were officially off-contract at end of November, most have their next deal already sorted by then as they can talk to other clubs from July. Any player of decent quality will already be signed up even if not yet announced. They tend to end one contract on 30th November and commence a new one on 1st December to ensure continuity of income.

Plus the season starts in 2 months, not 4, if you discount the festive period. First week in March is the target start date for Championship and League 1. Clubs will want their squad finalised by end of January at latest. Some clubs have already started pre-season training including Newcastle Thunder. They really haven’t got much time at all to prepare and recruit.

I seriously don’t think Newcastle will be unable to recruit the seven or eight players that they need to stay up. 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Yes I do thank you, I'd like to know what the over 1800 game was? A special one off? 100% Gate increase is very unusual for any club? 500 to 800 a game the rest of the season. 

Might have been, indeed I might have been at it actually as they did a double header with Toronto last year. Nice to have a boost in any case

2 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Yes I do thank you, I'd like to know what the over 1800 game was? A special one off? 100% Gate increase is very unusual for any club? 500 to 800 a game the rest of the season. 

The 1,817 in 2019 was the first game of season against Doncaster that was a double header with the second game being Toronto vs Widnes.

As for the rest of the season being 500-800 a game, you seem to be going number blind as 4 out of the 9 other games were 1,000+ and another 2 were nearly 900, those being:

Keighley - 1,423

London - 1,098

Whitehaven - 1,079

Workington - 1,077

Oldham - 889

North Wales Crusaders - 883

Why the constant need to try and put down what the Thunder are doing?

11 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

The 1,817 in 2019 was the first game of season against Doncaster that was a double header with the second game being Toronto vs Widnes.

As for the rest of the season being 500-800 a game, you seem to be going number blind as 4 out of the 9 other games were 1,000+ and another 2 were nearly 900, those being:

Keighley - 1,423

London - 1,098

Whitehaven - 1,079

Workington - 1,077

Oldham - 889

North Wales Crusaders - 883

Why the constant need to try and put down what the Thunder are doing?

I'm just asking for the figures, BTW you omitted Coventry 711, Hunslet 624, West Wales 679. But its OK I was just interested about the highest gate, I never realised it was a double header with the Woolpack and Widnes, which explains it thank you. 

Archived