Newcastle submit Championship application

1 hour ago, Johnny Ringo said:

I'm just asking for the figures, BTW you omitted Coventry 711, Hunslet 624, West Wales 679. But its OK I was just interested about the highest gate, I never realised it was a double header with the Woolpack and Widnes, which explains it thank you. 

They weren't omitted, they were the games that actually fell within the range you were claiming. The point of the post was to highlight that the attendance for 2/3rds of the games were either over or well over the figures you were claiming.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though my team lost out I think this is probably the best decision, Newcastle have proven over the past few years how progressive they are as a club, they have world cup games to host so can use this promotion and following season to advertise etc. Good luck to them, I think they will do a lot better than some seem to think next season, more towards the top end of the table rather than fighting to avoid relegation.

Well done to Newcastle, I have no doubt they will be a credit to the Championship. Perhaps a few other clubs will take note of the junior development in their area and take notice of the facilities at both York and Newcastle. I'm afraid there are one or two championship clubs who offer little in terms of facilities or junior development.

6 hours ago, NERugbyDad said:

They weren't omitted, they were the games that actually fell within the range you were claiming. The point of the post was to highlight that the attendance for 2/3rds of the games were either over or well over the figures you were claiming.

There is no doubt whatseover that Newcastle Thunder have demonstrated good attendance figures for tier 3 throughout the last several seasons, the challenge is on them to step it up a notch or 2 for the Championship which will be aided by larger numbers of travelling fans and im sure that Newcastle will put the effort in on their part and will not fail. I think enough home victories to achieve a maintenance of their Championship status and not suffer relegation will please the crowds enough as a mission in the 1st season up and aiming for a minimum crowd level of 1,500 in 2021 wouldn't be impossible and would prove to be non too shabby. Then build gradually season on season from that solid fanbase foundation. 

8 hours ago, NERugbyDad said:

The 1,817 in 2019 was the first game of season against Doncaster that was a double header with the second game being Toronto vs Widnes.

As for the rest of the season being 500-800 a game, you seem to be going number blind as 4 out of the 9 other games were 1,000+ and another 2 were nearly 900, those being:

Keighley - 1,423

London - 1,098

Whitehaven - 1,079

Workington - 1,077

Oldham - 889

North Wales Crusaders - 883

Why the constant need to try and put down what the Thunder are doing?

Must be all away fans and cardboard cut outs 🙄 

8 hours ago, NERugbyDad said:

The 1,817 in 2019 was the first game of season against Doncaster that was a double header with the second game being Toronto vs Widnes.

As for the rest of the season being 500-800 a game, you seem to be going number blind as 4 out of the 9 other games were 1,000+ and another 2 were nearly 900, those being:

Keighley - 1,423

London - 1,098

Whitehaven - 1,079

Workington - 1,077

Oldham - 889

North Wales Crusaders - 883

Why the constant need to try and put down what the Thunder are doing?

Because he's either a troll or has an axe to grind for some reason, just ignore him. 

Best of luck to Thunder next year, I and many other neutrals will be rooting for you.

15 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Actually with what you posted last week one game you had an over double att of over 1800 and another game 1250, the others averaged between 500 to 800 so 2 games gave a distorted average over the season if what you posted is correct? 

over 1000 v london skolars and over 1000 v kieghley too.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Must be all away fans and cardboard cut outs 🙄 

Calm down, calm down. It's not unusual to ask things and question things. Betts has gained promotion by not winning a league for a second time in less tha 10 yrs, he seems to get the rub of the green. But now you are up enjoy it and have a good dig at it.

1 hour ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Calm down, calm down. It's not unusual to ask things and question things. Betts has gained promotion by not winning a league for a second time in less tha 10 yrs, he seems to get the rub of the green. But now you are up enjoy it and have a good dig at it.

This bit seems to be the reason you are carrying some bitterness over this decision, its a very weird thing to hang on to as he has such a small part to play in this and its the Newcastle club gaining fro it, not Betts. 

23 hours ago, Derwent said:

Won’t get relegated ? As things stand unless they have some decent recruits lined up they are absolute certs to go down. Same with the other candidates apart from possibly Barrow who have recruited well.

They have some very talented and experienced players in there squad that really suit the fast track they play on at Kingston Park, players like Beswick, Johnson, Matty Wright and Sam Wilde are top end championship players and Gill, Turner and Young among others will excel.

Newcastle were by the far the most deserving for what theyve done on and off the field, and its going to be an interesting season in the championship

On 03/12/2020 at 19:08, Johnny Ringo said:

They also have a much smaller fan base home and away but they have structure and Mr Betts  so maybe they will just edge it. 

2 hours ago, dkw said:

This bit seems to be the reason you are carrying some bitterness over this decision, its a very weird thing to hang on to as he has such a small part to play in this and its the Newcastle club gaining fro it, not Betts. 

Let's just call it a hunch. 

Bye! 

Very pleased for the Thunder. Not to say the other clubs were undeserving, but I really think Newcastle have the infrastructure and existing supporter base to make a real go of this. The latter is really important; the last time Thunder went up to the Championship it was after a mostly torrid time in the lower division meaning they had to build on home gates of 300 or so. They are in a much healthier position now, as is the community club structure. You can't take anything for granted in this sport - especially where the Thunder are concerned - but fingers crossed, and I'll be along to watch them when I can.

6 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Now Toronto are gone, who were the main focus of the anti expansion attacks, Newcastle Catalans and Toulouse have become the new targets 

Get rid of them, then those people can focus on Warrington and Widnes, we can’t have teams from Cheshire playing rugby league. 

Thanks for all the kind words of support from people 

Next season we will look to do the championship justice and continue to grow the sport across the region whilst developing our young academy players 

We look forward to giving a warm geordie welcome to all of fans of the champ clubs, as well as bringing more of our Thunder Army to your grounds  

6 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Thanks for all the kind words of support from people 

Next season we will look to do the championship justice and continue to grow the sport across the region whilst developing our young academy players 

We look forward to giving a warm geordie welcome to all of fans of the champ clubs, as well as bringing more of our Thunder Army to your grounds  

As a Featherstone supporter I am looking forward to playing your Club next season. I  am sure you would have preferred to get Promotion on the field, but good luck to you going forward. After the way the original Thunder Club was treated you deserve to prosper.

On 10/12/2020 at 21:13, Chris22 said:

Four RLWC games, Magic Weekend, Newcastle promoted to the Championship. It's set up to be a brilliant year next year for Newcastle in rugby league. 

They look to have a patient, sustainable approach to expansion and I wish them all the best.

Indeed.  From the outside, they look organised.  They also seem to be putting in, to develop community clubs.  

I’ve been to see their academy play, what was, CoH, twice and they have some good players with a decent team spirit.  Remains to be seen how they now continue to transfer into the 1st team.  That is key.

said it before but the Yarm, Darlo, Boro, Newcastle communities are wide open for development and ideal (good infrastructure not congested, Gateshead occasionally aside) for travelling between those areas.  

Going to be interesting to see how they go in the championship.  Big step up but I think they will be ok.

Archived