Halifax Panthers

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I mean, I know they couldn't exactly be Halifax Smurfs but I just can't associate Panthers with blue. If you know one thing about a panther it's that they're black. 

looks like blue badge and black mascots

2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Liked the name HALIFAX BOMBERS but it was rejected as not being politically correct which is total b------s at cricket we have my team KENT SPITFIRES 

Whats the difference.

Odd. You google Halifax Bombers rugby league name change and you get a link to an archived post on here using very similar punctuation - and it’s pointed out in reply that the story that the Bombers named was ever discussed let alone rejected is a lie.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Clubs are damned if they dont and damned if they do. Why do spme clubs make a nickname or new nickname work whilst others dont. Serious question.

Time, effort, resources, understanding, money, strategy and luck

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Liked the name HALIFAX BOMBERS but it was rejected as not being politically correct which is total b------s at cricket we have my team KENT SPITFIRES 

Whats the difference.

notwithstanding the many offensive uses* the spitfire was put to, I do think there's a slight difference between a county lying under the Battle of Britain paying homage to the fighter** that saw off the Germans, and naming your club after a bomber that went over to the Germans to do its work.

Also, it's not like Shepherd Neame have never been in the press because of their advertising... Downed all over Kent, for example.

*and personally, I've found few of those uses as offensive as defending Thanet.

**I know, it was actually the Hurricane. We've all built the Airfix kits...

If it helps them reach out to younger people and encourage them to become fans then great.

I can understand why they didn’t go the ‘bombers’ route as it would probably generate negative headlines if they aimed to create merchandise around it.

Personally I’d prefer it if they’d gone for a native connection to the area or a nickname not used before by any other well known pro sports team.

People are typically averse to change, more so Rugby League fans, I find. The rebrand isn’t aimed at anyone on here because we’re already Rugby League fans, it’s about finding the next generation and if clubs can achieve that by calling themselves after an animal and/or by offering a lot more than just eighty minutes of Rugby League on a Sunday afternoon, then it’s a move clubs have to take. 

Fair play to Halifax for keeping their finger on the pulse. Whether the whole rebrand/modernising of badges was filtered down to the lower leagues, I’m not sure but having seen the changes by Salford and Wigan, Halifax have kept up the pace by joining in. 

48 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Halifax Panthers? Hmm if the logo was done better maybe... but why not just Halifax Blues?

It's always difficult when rebranding any business, but Halifax Blues seems very good to me. Short and to the point and it's not a name you would forget

Archived