Halifax Panthers

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Because you can’t really flog merchandise for bombers, or can you?

Not sure it’s very fluffy for kids either.

I can understand why older fans might want it though.

Can’t flog merchandise for Bombers? Course you can! Take a look at the Kent Spitfires. I’ve got a cap myself. Anyway, too late now.

The quotes from Fax about this I’ve read are almost apologetic. Pretty obvious this is a somewhat desperate throw of the dice.

I’m not against rebrands but I don’t understand the obsession with cats in Yorkshire RL.

5 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Strange. No big unveiling. Nothing on their website. I wonder if there was any consultation with fans and if there were any other options. 

Still, they’re seemingly moving with the times but it’s about how they use this new identity that ultimately matters.

I grew up with them as the Blue Sox, I know I’ll be in the minority but I quite liked it. 

They were also competative as the blue sox

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Can’t flog merchandise for Bombers? Course you can! Take a look at the Kent Spitfires. I’ve got a cap myself. Anyway, too late now.

The quotes from Fax about this I’ve read are almost apologetic. Pretty obvious this is a somewhat desperate throw of the dice.

I’m not against rebrands but I don’t understand the obsession with cats in Yorkshire RL.

I do think Spitfires have different cultural connotations from WW2 bombers for obvious reasons.

I can understand the logic of trying to attract a younger type of supporter to the club though.

Hopefully they’ll have a bit of fun with it.

49 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Maybe they got the "cats" idea from Percy Shaw who invented the reflected road studs "cats eyes" in 1934 .He was from Halifax.

I can speak Esperanto like a native.

12 minutes ago, Clinton Baptiste said:

Maybe they got the "cats" idea from Percy Shaw who invented the reflected road studs "cats eyes" in 1934 .He was from Halifax.

More likely someone from a brand consultancy said at the meeting, ‘You’ve got to have a cat. Cats are big time. People like cats. Look at all those soppy pics on social media. Lions.’

‘Can’t. Taken. Swinton.’

‘Tigers?’

‘Castleford.’

‘Cougars?’

‘Keighley.’

‘Wildcats?’

‘Wakefield.’

‘Pussies?’

‘Bit rude.’

‘Panthers?’

‘Well, there was Blackpool a while ago. We might get away with it.’

‘Panthers it is.’

9 hours ago, Scotchy1 said:

I always find it strange that some fans, and even some clubs, take their nickname so seriously. 

In what way?

What clubs call themselves and how they present that is absolutely key to who they are and how their supporters - and non supporters even - feel about the club.

It's kind of important to get right.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I do think Spitfires have different cultural connotations from WW2 bombers for obvious reasons.

I can understand the logic of trying to attract a younger type of supporter to the club though.

Hopefully they’ll have a bit of fun with it.

Shepherd Neame are the major sponsor of the club. I'm not entirely sure how long the Spitfires name would last if Kent ever had to get another brewer to supply the booze at Canterbury.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Celt said:

I am a bit of a traditionalist, so they will always be the BlueSox for me.

I always loved the name, and the traditional kit with the famous orange socks.

None of this new-fangled 'RLFC' or 'Panthers' for me. No thank you. The original BlueSox name should be brought back asap.

Confused now, surely they should have been be the Halifax OrangeSox ?

8 hours ago, Clinton Baptiste said:

Yeah I’m sure that’s exactly why they went for the cats theme. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

It's all about brand marketing. They can do exactly what the Americans and Australians do with sports teams although most of theirs are franchised if they are happy to brand the club that the town isnt the identity more the name. So referring to yourselves as Panthers more than Halifax or 'Fax you is the only way this will work. You will lose some but if the vision is there it can work. The promo vid they did of the guy running through the woods then onto the shay pitch was clever, although limited marketing budget as nothing animated it worked. 

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

More likely someone from a brand consultancy said at the meeting, ‘You’ve got to have a cat. Cats are big time. People like cats. Look at all those soppy pics on social media. Lions.’

‘Can’t. Taken. Swinton.’

‘Tigers?’

‘Castleford.’

‘Cougars?’

‘Keighley.’

‘Wildcats?’

‘Wakefield.’

‘Pussies?’

‘Bit rude.’

‘Panthers?’

‘Well, there was Blackpool a while ago. We might get away with it.’

‘Panthers it is.’

All we need now is a team in Thailand, they can be the Siamese Cats. 

For everyone who is keen on the BlueSox.. My wife's work were working on a "sports day" for charity and it was mentioned that all the teams should wear Blue Socks for a "round of matches" like the rainbow laces etc.. and it would be Blue Socks week... Someone mentioned that it may be worth someone googling "Blue Socks Urban Dictionary".. 

I would suggest this now to anyone thinking Blue Sox is a good name.. I would also suggest you do it away from your work computer and without young family members looking!

15 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I mean, I know they couldn't exactly be Halifax Smurfs but I just can't associate Panthers with blue. If you know one thing about a panther it's that they're black. 

Aside from the White panther and the Florida panther which is brown

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I'm attempting to ring fence my glorious charismatic memories of enjoyable afternoons at Thrum Hall.

So sad to see how Halifax RLFC have ended up.

Blue Sox was silly enough.

Before the end of next season press & social media coverage will see full time results & match report headers referring to the club as simply 'Halifax Pants'.

Which will sadly sum the gimmick up quite appropriately. 🤪

Archived