Halifax Panthers

17 minutes ago, yipyee said:

I heard that cats eyes were invented in halifax with a drunk man dreaming up the idea after getting lost going from the pub in the fog, 

It's factual I suppose but there was a lot, lot more to Percy Shaw than that.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, M j M said:

It's factual I suppose but there was a lot, lot more to Percy Shaw than that.

My favourite bit is the film they made of him where he's got a tv in every room, but is slumped on the sofa staring at his three TVs (all on simultaneously) so that he can watch all three channels at once.

19 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

My favourite bit is the film they made of him where he's got a tv in every room, but is slumped on the sofa staring at his three TVs (all on simultaneously) so that he can watch all three channels at once.

That Alan Whicker programme on him is one of the greatest things i've ever seen.

Fax could do a lot worse than name their mascot Percy the Panther in honour of the greatest man to come from the place. 

On 04/12/2020 at 19:18, M j M said:

I have to question the abilities of some marketing people if they seriously can't see why that was and remains an utterly flawed and counterproductive name.

anyone who seriously thinks Blue Sox is a good way to go needs to look at the urban dictionary for blue socks... you want to get a younger crowd involved you have to have some sort of appreciation for this type of thing.

17 minutes ago, RP London said:

anyone who seriously thinks Blue Sox is a good way to go needs to look at the urban dictionary for blue socks... you want to get a younger crowd involved you have to have some sort of appreciation for this type of thing.

Yes but... look up almost all our team names in urban dictionary and you'll find something horrendous / amusing / deviant.

I'm not sure that's a good route to go down for rejecting names unless it's a particularly well known one (looking at you Keighley).

11 minutes ago, M j M said:

Yes but... look up almost all our team names in urban dictionary and you'll find something horrendous / amusing / deviant.

I'm not sure that's a good route to go down for rejecting names unless it's a particularly well known one (looking at you Keighley).

i wouldn't put the 2 necessarily next to each other... have you seen the blue socks one?

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

i wouldn't put the 2 necessarily next to each other... have you seen the blue socks one?

I have.

I wasn't familiar with it 😳

But there are plenty of other reasons not to go with a name as ludicrous as Blue Sox.

16 minutes ago, M j M said:

I have.

I wasn't familiar with it 😳

But there are plenty of other reasons not to go with a name as ludicrous as Blue Sox.

totally agree but i think in any branding meeting (as in the one my wife was in) that one is a mic drop moment for the end of the conversation!

12 hours ago, yipyee said:

I heard that cats eyes were invented in halifax with a drunk man dreaming up the idea after getting lost going from the pub in the fog, 

Therefore a large cat would have more to do with Halifax than most other nicknames

True if the cat had been facing the same way he would have invented the pencil sharpener.

3 hours ago, iffleyox said:

all three channels

In the days when you didn't know what to choose because there seemed to be too much on now with hundreds of channels if TGG isn't on one of them you struggle to find owt worth watching. Such is the  Total  promise and complete disappointment of modern capitalism.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

In the days when you didn't know what to choose because there seemed to be too much on now with hundreds of channels if TGG isn't on one of them you struggle to find owt worth watching. Such is the  Total  promise and complete disappointment of modern capitalism.

try finding something to watch on netflix when you're "not really sure what you fancy"... impossible! 

7 hours ago, RP London said:

I just looked............. they say you learn something every day............ I'm not sure I needed to know that

Ive been a Halifax fan now for 30 + years and has with most sports fans seen plenty of ups and downs , originally when I heard the Halifax rlfc were adding panthers to their name I laughed a little and thought it sounded a bit cheesy but having listened to the press conference at the piece hall and the fact sales are up can only be a positive move . In my opinion Halifax rlfc have a lot to offer and I see this as a positive move , you have to move with the times , all it takes is a little spark and a bit of success on the field and fans will start to come back , we’ve stagnated for a while and it’s important to at least try and be positive both on and off the field   , the hint off attacking exciting rugby is a plus too especially if you’re to attract new fans , as a whole Halifax have potential to be a good club with a good stadium a new brand , I’m looking forward to next year especially with the covid 19 pandemic ruining this year , let’s hope for some good rugby and a club on the rise for 2021. Up the fax ( cough panthers)

1 minute ago, Listenup94 said:

Ive been a Halifax fan now for 30 + years and has with most sports fans seen plenty of ups and downs , originally when I heard the Halifax rlfc were adding panthers to their name I laughed a little and thought it sounded a bit cheesy but having listened to the press conference at the piece hall and the fact sales are up can only be a positive move . In my opinion Halifax rlfc have a lot to offer and I see this as a positive move , you have to move with the times , all it takes is a little spark and a bit of success on the field and fans will start to come back , we’ve stagnated for a while and it’s important to at least try and be positive both on and off the field   , the hint off attacking exciting rugby is a plus too especially if you’re to attract new fans , as a whole Halifax have potential to be a good club with a good stadium a new brand , I’m looking forward to next year especially with the covid 19 pandemic ruining this year , let’s hope for some good rugby and a club on the rise for 2021. Up the fax ( cough panthers)

New chant - "Oh ally ally..........ally ally ally ally ally cats!"

14 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I just looked............. they say you learn something every day............ I'm not sure I needed to know that

i though exactly the same thing when i was told.... but thought i would share the love (not that its a very suitable phrase for what you've just read though!)

Take it you can see why i'm thinking its a name best avoided!

12 hours ago, Scubby said:

New chant - "Oh ally ally..........ally ally ally ally ally cats!"

to be fair they could has sung that for the blue sox... (one for @voteronniegibbs and anyone else who has followed my urban dictionary suggestion)...

oooooooh a coat!

14 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

It's about a week on since the brand was launched, what else has happened?

How have they followed it up? New signings? Match Day Experience changes? 

Lots of promo work with interviews with players and staff and then pushing the retail side with shirts going on sale. They are reporting record sales so something has worked if that is true. They do need to keep pushing it though.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

I hope we get a band to do a song for us like we did for the Blue Sox name. That was a banger but a new one would have to be more PC than calling it War Chant.

No.

No no no no no.

Archived