Joe Burgess

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Poower Lad said:

Seems quite a coup for Salford , can any Wigan fans enlighten me as I didn’t think he was a player they would let leave . 

Good player. Not quite fully regained his confidence after injury to trust his speed.

My main take on it would be that at the point in the season when contract decisions were being made he was a clear 3rd choice behind Marshall and Manfredi and in a salary cap era it’s hard to retain 3 starting calibre wingers.

Always rated him highly and wish him well at Salford.

10 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

Good player. Not quite fully regained his confidence after injury to trust his speed.

My main take on it would be that at the point in the season when contract decisions were being made he was a clear 3rd choice behind Marshall and Manfredi and in a salary cap era it’s hard to retain 3 starting calibre wingers.

Always rated him highly and wish him well at Salford.

I can only imagine he was on much more than Marshall and so it was a commercial decision as much as anything. Only my opinion but he's miles better than Marshall, who is pretty average. But agree that Burgess was suffering from a dip in confidence perhaps 

He only signed a 1 year deal ahead of this season and so needed to play well to earn himself another one. Unfortunately he was a clear 3rd choice behind Marshall (our best winger before he got injured) and Manfredi when the decision on whether to renew his contract was made. To be fair, from Wigan's point of view he wasn't exactly in great form before this season either. He's been quite a frustrating player. Sometimes he looked a shadow of the player he was before he went to the NRL, then he would look like he was getting back into form but he could be so inconsistent.

Unfortunately we now look a bit weak on the wings, with Marshall out until part way through next year, Manfredi picking up another knee injury at the end of this season and Bibby not exactly excelling on the wing either.

It's a complete change from a couple of years ago where we had 4 very good wingers. The mistake Wigan made was letting Tom Davies go. For about 2 years before he left he was our most consistent winger. In that time he pretty much always made the side ahead of either Burgess or Marshall. It seemed strange to let the consistent player go and then sign Burgess for just 1 extra year.

It does look like Wigan could regret the decision. Manfredi isn't guaranteed to stay free from injury. Marshall, while he was playing outstanding rugby at the start of this year, will always have the issue that his lack of size and height makes him vulnerable against bigger wingers and for that reason you would assume the peak of his performance would always be below that of an international quality winger.

He'll be a very good signing for Salford. It looks like he won't quite fulfil his early potential but he's still a very good Super League winger and he's only 26 so still has time to improve.

9 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

Manfredi isn't guaranteed to stay free from injury.

Fair old understatement.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

How good was Burgess just before he went to Australia.  Probably the number one Super League winger at that time.  How come his time at the top was so short when many other wingers hang up there for a while?  Very similar to Tom Briscoe's rapid fall from grace.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Never understood why they let Tom Davies leave. 

I assume this is a salary cap decision rather than a footballing one. With two injury prone wingers in the squad it makes sense to keep Burgess around even if he isn't seen as first choice. 

Good signing for Salford, I didn't realise he's still quite young.

Seems like Wigan have had some bad luck with wingers and injuries over the years. Even Burgess himself had a bad one, IIRC. Manfredi and even Marshall seem to never string together a run of games and in a salary capped sport either. 

Burgess has worked hard this year, he seemed to be on the outer for a while but has gone back into their side and done well. 

17 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

How good was Burgess just before he went to Australia.  Probably the number one Super League winger at that time.  How come his time at the top was so short when many other wingers hang up there for a while?  Very similar to Tom Briscoe's rapid fall from grace.

He wasn't the top winger at all, that's absurd. He was a good young player with promise and probably went to Souths too soon. He wouldn't have been in the top 5 at that time.

Sorry to see him go. When fit and in form, he's en excellent player. And, for those saying Wigan are now short of cover on the wings, maybe there's some younger players knocking on the door of the first team.

As for Manfredi's bad luck with injuries, let's hope it is a phase that passes, like it did for Lomax did at St Helens.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

35 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

No offence to .......

Fill in as applicable and it's always the opposite what it says. It's a Very British Phrase a bit like we're wonderfully inclusive with our detention centers and aeroplanes full of invited imported/exported victims. I love the British for their ability with language.

https://www.salfordreddevils.net/joe-burgess-becomes-first-player-to-wear-new-salford-shirt/

Welcome to SRD Joe the best place in town!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

35 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Fill in as applicable and it's always the opposite what it says. It's a Very British Phrase a bit like we're wonderfully inclusive with our detention centers and aeroplanes full of invited imported/exported victims. I love the British for their ability with language.

https://www.salfordreddevils.net/joe-burgess-becomes-first-player-to-wear-new-salford-shirt/

Welcome to SRD Joe the best place in town!

"their"??

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 hours ago, Poower Lad said:

Seems quite a coup for Salford , can any Wigan fans enlighten me as I didn’t think he was a player they would let leave . 

Burgess seemed to lose form and became inconsistent and had lost his place.   I believe his hands are a bit suspect.  But I hope he does well, he is clearly not a bad winger, I think he will score a lot of tries for Salford, there might be Sargeson and McGillvery inside him.

Wigan had 4 good, very good, wingers.  It was inevitable that at least one of them, Davis, would leave.    There are younger players coming through and Wigan have to manage the salary cap.

The problem Wigan have is that as they develop three quarters the danger they have is they may be poached by either NRL or RU.   In that respect Umlya Hanley might be a reserve winger for Wigan next season.

57 minutes ago, Damien said:

He wasn't the top winger at all, that's absurd. He was a good young player with promise and probably went to Souths too soon. He wouldn't have been in the top 5 at that time.

He went to the Roosters not Souths, then onto Souths when he couldn't hold down a spot at the Roosters.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

He went to the Roosters not Souths, then onto Souths when he couldn't hold down a spot at the Roosters.

He looked good in his few games for Souths, and I remember reading that they were interested in keeping him.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Joe Burgess, like Jack Wells, is a good signing for Salford.

Both haven't managed to hit their potential at Wigan but could do this at Salford, who consistently get the best out of their players. Good luck to the pair.

For Wigan, they are well stocked in the back row but looking a bit short on wingers.

2 minutes ago, Superb Chops said:

Joe Burgess, like Jack Wells, is a good signing for Salford.

Both haven't managed to hit their potential at Wigan but could do this at Salford, who consistently get the best out of their players. Good luck to the pair.

For Wigan, they are well stocked in the back row but looking a bit short on wingers.

Burgess back to form, is England material.  He does his job well, no daft passes, stays out of touch, knows how to get the ball down and is good in the air.

After the injury he had, confidence is his challenge now and how to get it back - day by day.  

Archived