Fair Go!

Oxford

And to further the interests of balance, as there has been more on here about some of the other applicants than Fev, here's a piece from League Express/TotalRL journo Matthew Shaw

https://www.totalrl.com/an-unfair-portrayal-why-featherstone-rovers-super-league-application-shouldnt-be-rubbished/
some extracts...

"Featherstone, and their chairman Mark Campbell, was among the strongest, most vocal supporters of the Wolfpack since their inception. He was also the first chairman to publicly slam the decision made by Super League and its clubs, knowing all too well it would do nothing to help his case for approval from a seven-man panel featuring three members of Super League’s executive."

"Over the years their investment in marketing and publicity has surpassed many other clubs in an attempt to promote their brand and their club."

"On the field, they have been the most consistent team outside of Super League over the past decade. In their last ten seasons, they have finished in the top five of the Championship every season, finishing top on four occasions. Last year, they narrowly missed out on promotion to Super League as they were defeated by Toronto in the play-off final."

"Their ground has recently undergone renovation that has increased capacity to almost 10,000. It could be argued that it is the best rugby league facility in the postcode. Attendances were also up last season. The site is owned by the club and has its own training facility, which has in fact, in years gone by, been used by neighbours Wakefield. Wakefield AFC, the city’s football team, also play there."

"Financially they are stable and while their geographical footprint will inevitably draw concerns, the Wakefield district has a population of 350,000. While Featherstone itself has a population of around just 20,000, their presence stretches to Ackworth, Hemsworth and Pontefract."

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

The London letter seems to be a "Oh Sh*t" we better do something or we are going to get left behind. 

And when was the Fev one written, presumably long before the 30th November informing fans they will be applying?

23 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

And to further the interests of balance, as there has been more on here about some of the other applicants than Fev, here's a piece from League Express/TotalRL journo Matthew Shaw

https://www.totalrl.com/an-unfair-portrayal-why-featherstone-rovers-super-league-application-shouldnt-be-rubbished/
some extracts...

"Featherstone, and their chairman Mark Campbell, was among the strongest, most vocal supporters of the Wolfpack since their inception. He was also the first chairman to publicly slam the decision made by Super League and its clubs, knowing all too well it would do nothing to help his case for approval from a seven-man panel featuring three members of Super League’s executive."

"Over the years their investment in marketing and publicity has surpassed many other clubs in an attempt to promote their brand and their club."

"On the field, they have been the most consistent team outside of Super League over the past decade. In their last ten seasons, they have finished in the top five of the Championship every season, finishing top on four occasions. Last year, they narrowly missed out on promotion to Super League as they were defeated by Toronto in the play-off final."

"Their ground has recently undergone renovation that has increased capacity to almost 10,000. It could be argued that it is the best rugby league facility in the postcode. Attendances were also up last season. The site is owned by the club and has its own training facility, which has in fact, in years gone by, been used by neighbours Wakefield. Wakefield AFC, the city’s football team, also play there."

"Financially they are stable and while their geographical footprint will inevitably draw concerns, the Wakefield district has a population of 350,000. While Featherstone itself has a population of around just 20,000, their presence stretches to Ackworth, Hemsworth and Pontefract."

Yes, these forums are consistently short of Fev fans promoting their claims - well done!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

59 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, these forums are consistently short of Fev fans promoting their claims - well done!

Since the 6 shortlisted clubs were announced, it's been a Leigh-fest on here, with a healthy dose of Yorkmania too, plus lots of hand-wringing about Bradford.

I don't actually think the points made by Matthew Shaw in his article had had that much attention in the threads I've read on here.
Like many people I'm not actually that bothered whether it's my club that gets the nod, with trying for promotion at the end of the 2021 season looking a better long-term plan. But a lot of the views I've seen expressed have been ridiculously simplistic.

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Since the 6 shortlisted clubs were announced, it's been a Leigh-fest on here, with a healthy dose of Yorkmania too, plus lots of hand-wringing about Bradford.

I don't actually think the points made by Matthew Shaw in his article had had that much attention in the htreads I've read on here.
Like many people I'm not actually that bothered whether it's my club that gets the nod, with trying for promotion at the end of the 2021 season looking a better long-term plan. But a lot of the views I've seen expressed have been ridiculously simplistic.

This.... without doubt this

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I don't actually think the points made by Matthew Shaw in his article had had that much attention in the threads I've read on here.

As a Leigh fan totally agree.

3 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Is Wakefield's very low-level football team playing at Fev really an important point?

Not on its own, no. I think it followed on naturally in his piece from the bit about Wakefield using Fev's excellent training facilities for a number of years. The point is that the club own the ground and plenty of land around it and are using it for a wide range of activities as income streams, hosting business conferences, training courses, weddings, parties, plus a wide range of social events featuring sports personalities etc.

Is it just me or does London's website feel like it were designed by a 6 year old?

Fev are obviously hamstrung because of the area they are in. Lets face it if they swicthed locations with say York or London they would likely be nailed on for the 12th spot. I imagine if the SL clubs were to vote on this then Fev would be the last choice out of the applicants but in my opinion that is because they would be a threat where as London, Bradford, and York would all be seen as a free season for a few of them.

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Is it just me or does London's website feel like it were designed by a 6 year old?

From another thread

"I put a Love This thread on here because because on the general RL it becomes more like a wake for fun, positivity and hope. "

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The London letter seems to be a "Oh Sh*t" we better do something or we are going to get left behind. 

And when was the Fev one written, presumably long before the 30th November informing fans they will be applying?

What impressed me about the London letter Harry was that its plain they are looking way beyond next season, preparing for either eventuality but with minds set firmly on maintaining growth (in all departments) throughout London.

Removing the mega city Toronto from Super League, as they don’t add enough value to the sport, and replacing them with a small town within Wakefield (a place that already has 2 Super League clubs) will undoubtedly see Super League reach its full potential. I’m sure as soon as it’s announced sky will be back at the tv negotiating table with a mega deal like rugby league has never seen before.

24 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Removing the mega city Toronto from Super League, as they don’t add enough value to the sport, and replacing them with a small town within Wakefield (a place that already has 2 Super League clubs) will undoubtedly see Super League reach its full potential. I’m sure as soon as it’s announced sky will be back at the tv negotiating table with a mega deal like rugby league has never seen before.

Sir Kev you must be a bit tired from all that running and missed the meme because of your vlog & so  :

TWP are no more they are yesterday's headlines & even though their loss is something we could ill afford.............

Bradford and Leigh were getting a bit more than their fair share so this was put here to redress that a bit.

And lastly

On 05/12/2020 at 13:12, Oxford said:

From another thread

"I put a Love This thread on here because because on the general RL it becomes more like a wake for fun, positivity and hope."

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 05/12/2020 at 13:05, The Phantom Horseman said:

Not on its own, no. I think it followed on naturally in his piece from the bit about Wakefield using Fev's excellent training facilities for a number of years. The point is that the club own the ground and plenty of land around it and are using it for a wide range of activities as income streams, hosting business conferences, training courses, weddings, parties, plus a wide range of social events featuring sports personalities etc.

Do you think Fevs fine in 2019 for racist chanting will have any impact on the application?

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Do you think Fevs fine in 2019 for racist chanting will have any impact on the application?

I'll bet they wished they'd got rid of them before they got caught. 

6 hours ago, Mark S said:

Personally, I would like to see York promoted. Great city, nice new stadium and they aren’t a pit village in Wakefield.

New rugby league scoring system for 2021
Try 4 points
Conversion 2 points
Penalty goal 2 points
Drop goal 1 point
Being a pleasant tourist attraction 5 points
Being more than 10 miles from any other ground 7 points.

Match report prediction:
"Featherstone took an early lead with a converted Dane Chisholm try, but York responded with a penalty goal and took the lead when spectators were offered 10% off at the Jorvik Centre.
Rovers thought they had sealed victory with a late try from James Lockwood, but were denied when the video referee adjudged that the try was scored within 10 miles of the M62."

Archived