time for a re-brand?

wiggler

I see that Salford and Wigan have launched new logos and Halifax has gone even further with a new logo and wish to be known as Halifax Panthers.

I have raised this issue before, but our logo looks desperately dated and does little to engage with youngsters.

I think it is time to change - new logo AND a new 'name'.  Drop Town and replace it with a more dynamic moniker.  Develop a logo that is easy to reproduce and works in monotone.  The new Fax logo looks like it will work in these respects - not sure about the link but what link was there between Leeds and Rhinos and look how well that turned out!  

The town is more than good enough for me as is the badge. Do as the club are doing now, a predominantly local squad, engaging with the community and hopefully success on the field, youngsters will identify with that whatever the badge or name.

Focus seems to be on getting a winning team and all will be well.  There is no doubt that a winning team will increase crowd sizes.  However, marketing theory will also tell you that a good product (winning team in this case) also needs to be well packaged.  To get a sustainable winning team we need to attract young, local talent. Is the TOWN brand good enough to persuade a young local player, with other options, to choose Town?  I am not saying the brand is the be-all-and-end.  Far from it, but it has a role to play in attracting young spectators AND players.  All elements need to be working to attract younger people.

I appreciate that the majority of readers of a Town forum will be diehard fans but, if we keep doing the .same things. we will get the same results. 

Anyway enough from me on this - thanks to those of you who have taken the time to reply.

16 hours ago, wiggler said:

.  To get a sustainable winning team we need to attract young, local talent. Is the TOWN brand good enough to persuade a young local player, with other options, to choose Town?

I think the direction the club is moving is focusing exactly on this point. Early indications would appear that it will be successful and the appointment of Gary Hewer together with Chris will only benefit the club in that.
We will have to wait and see how things progress but from where we were in terms of communication with the fans, social media content, community interaction and general profile we are streets ahead of where we were. Let’s hope things keep improving and we have a team to be proud of on the field and a club to be proud of off it

13 hours ago, IanMac said:

I think the direction the club is moving is focusing exactly on this point. Early indications would appear that it will be successful and the appointment of Gareth Hewer together with Chris will only benefit the club in that.
We will have to wait and see how things progress but from where we were in terms of communication with the fans, social media content, community interaction and general profile we are streets ahead of where we were. Let’s hope things keep improving and we have a team to be proud of on the field and a club to be proud of off it

In what role is Gareth Hewer helping town out? Surely you havent got him and Gary mixed up 😂?  I do agree with you regarding your communication and social media context with fans, its excellent! On the player front, if Town were to get promoted, just having local players alone wont cut it im afraid, believe me, I wish it would, but it won't unfortunately 

1 hour ago, Neutralfan7 said:

In what role is Gareth Hewer helping town out? Surely you havent got him and Gary mixed up 😂?  I do agree with you regarding your communication and social media context with fans, its excellent! On the player front, if Town were to get promoted, just having local players alone wont cut it im afraid, believe me, I wish it would, but it won't unfortunately 

Well spotted, wondered who would notice first😂😂. To a certain extent I agree, all the great town teams have had a few out of county or overseas players, but to reach that point sustainably you have to have firm foundations locally and we haven’t really had that for sometime. As Chris has said on a few of the webcasts if you are bringing someone in they have got to be able to offer more than what’s on the doorstep. But that will generally come at a higher cost,  so why not develop young, raw local talent and see where it takes you. Given the likely difficult financial climate over the next few years I think it’s a very good way to be moving forward and will hopefully pay dividends in the years to come. 

1 hour ago, IanMac said:

Well spotted, wondered who would notice first😂😂. To a certain extent I agree, all the great town teams have had a few out of county or overseas players, but to reach that point sustainably you have to have firm foundations locally and we haven’t really had that for sometime. As Chris has said on a few of the webcasts if you are bringing someone in they have got to be able to offer more than what’s on the doorstep. But that will generally come at a higher cost,  so why not develop young, raw local talent and see where it takes you. Given the likely difficult financial climate over the next few years I think it’s a very good way to be moving forward and will hopefully pay dividends in the years to come. 

😂😂 Eagle eyed! Oh yeah dont get me wrong mate, the way you're attracting local talent now is a credit to the club and the way it wants to go in the future! I was meaning more if/when use make the step up back into the Championship. I'd love to see all 3 cumbrian clubs in the championship one day with as many local lads in as possible, but travellers will always be needed. Fingers crossed the 3 clubs can get in there sooner rather than later!

I can see both sides of this argument. Done properly a rebrand can really add to a club and needent detract from a clubs rich history. Rhinos, Tigers, Wolves etc haven't turned into new clubs and forgotten their histories, but what they have added are marketing tools to help the clubs grow commercially. 

Theres no point rebranding Town as Workington Steelers with a shiny new badge as although it's a nod to our industrial history it will mean nothing to the future generations that need to hooked to make the club grow. A rhino, tiger or wolf  is an agressive hunting animal that lends itself the the ferocious nature of RL, but the cartoon version is the open door for kids to identify with the club such as Ronnie the Rhino etc. Unfortunately for us a unicorn has become a soft fantasy animal associated with clouds and rainbows so doesn't really lend itself to RL but with the right marketing could be used as a great marketing tool. I know Wigan are getting pelters at present but as long as they still embrace their rich history there is nothing wrong with trying to push the club forward if this will make a difference to them, as their attendances have hit a wall so need other methods of generating revenue.

The issue for Town is that it isn't a cash rich club to pay marketing experts to build this brand, so it has to prioritise what the money is spent on. At the minute a winning team is the thing that will bring the most fans back, then in the future if the clubs grows but attendances are topping out then different ways to market the club will have to be found. If this is a new badge and a new moniker is it such a bad thing if it's done properly? If the idea was so bad surely the Sl clubs would have ditched the Giants, Red devils, Warriors tags. Saints were lucky that theirs has always been embedded in their name, but surely a name can be tagged onto Workington Town as Wakefield did with Wakefield trinity wildcats so we don't have to ditch the Town name. Think it is probably not the right time given this last year and how the club will be needing to get itself back on its feet again but I don't think it should be written off if it's an extra string to the bow.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

2 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

I can see both sides of this argument. Done properly a rebrand can really add to a club and needent detract from a clubs rich history. Rhinos, Tigers, Wolves etc haven't turned into new clubs and forgotten their histories, but what they have added are marketing tools to help the clubs grow commercially. 

Theres no point rebranding Town as Workington Steelers with a shiny new badge as although it's a nod to our industrial history it will mean nothing to the future generations that need to hooked to make the club grow. A rhino, tiger or wolf  is an agressive hunting animal that lends itself the the ferocious nature of RL, but the cartoon version is the open door for kids to identify with the club such as Ronnie the Rhino etc. Unfortunately for us a unicorn has become a soft fantasy animal associated with clouds and rainbows so doesn't really lend itself to RL but with the right marketing could be used as a great marketing tool. I know Wigan are getting pelters at present but as long as they still embrace their rich history there is nothing wrong with trying to push the club forward if this will make a difference to them, as their attendances have hit a wall so need other methods of generating revenue.

The issue for Town is that it isn't a cash rich club to pay marketing experts to build this brand, so it has to prioritise what the money is spent on. At the minute a winning team is the thing that will bring the most fans back, then in the future if the clubs grows but attendances are topping out then different ways to market the club will have to be found. If this is a new badge and a new moniker is it such a bad thing if it's done properly? If the idea was so bad surely the Sl clubs would have ditched the Giants, Red devils, Warriors tags. Saints were lucky that theirs has always been embedded in their name, but surely a name can be tagged onto Workington Town as Wakefield did with Wakefield trinity wildcats so we don't have to ditch the Town name. Think it is probably not the right time given this last year and how the club will be needing to get itself back on its feet again but I don't think it should be written off if it's an extra string to the bow.

Good read!

Workington Town Tornado. 🙂 Well, it does get a bit stormy in Cumbria.

15 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Good read!

Workington Town Tornado. 🙂 Well, it does get a bit stormy in Cumbria.

Thanks!

I like your thinking on the Tornado, how you would have a cartoon mascot may be a challenge though. When the ill fated Crusaders re-brand was mooted I always thought Workington Town Cowboys from Wild West Cumbria was a better option. But I suppose Cowboys are a thing of the past now too!

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

It's a tricky one, for sure.

Do Newcastle still have Captain Thunder as a mascot?

Scope for a Captain Tornado (or similar)? Or possibly a 'Tiny Tornado' cartoon character?

Tornado maybe also ties in with west Cumbria's offshore wind farms?

Attached is a 'Tornado' logo from US sport. I can envisage 'Wor' and 'ton' slotting in there!

Cockermouth ARLFC have nabbed 'Titans' already, haven't they?

On the subject of Workington Town: it's interesting, even now, Workington FC are often mistakenly named by rival clubs and supporters as Workington Town. The 'Town' element of Workington Town has certainly seeped into the sporting consciousness of many (even if they aren't always sure which sport Workington Town play).

190126_King-University-Tornado-banner.jpg

On 09/12/2020 at 13:29, The Voodooguru said:

Thanks!

I like your thinking on the Tornado, how you would have a cartoon mascot may be a challenge though. When the ill fated Crusaders re-brand was mooted I always thought Workington Town Cowboys from Wild West Cumbria was a better option. But I suppose Cowboys are a thing of the past now too!

North Queensland fans in the NRL might disagree with you on that one 😁

On 10/12/2020 at 22:21, Cumberland Sausage said:

North Queensland fans in the NRL might disagree with you on that one 😁

Yeah but they have been the cowboys for a while now so it is embedded. Even in the last decade the world has changed beyond belief, none of my kids watch any traditional telly programmes at all ( and I mean absolutely none - ever!) Their concept of what a cowboy is, will probably be woody off toy story. So I doubt they would identify with a traditional cowboy as they are a thing of the past, which was my point. But you could easily build a brand around it as it lends itself to all kinds of possibilities.

On 08/12/2020 at 09:27, Neutralfan7 said:

I agree just having locals won't  cut it at championship  level. And with out of county players apparently wanting silly money to trek up and down to  cumbria it makes it difficult. Money has spread down into the top half of the championship now and I.M.O any  cumbrian club would need a backer to top their  RL money to stand any chance of getting  into mid table safety.  

Archived