Gingerjon is right!

Handball is a great sport! 😀 

Currently watching Croatia v Serbia. As a spectacle I find the mens and womens games equal to watch. Most other sports the women's game seems a bit "pedestrian" when compared to the men's but handball isn't. Both are very quick. 

Don't totally understand whats allowed and not allowed in defence but I don't care. Great sport! 😀 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

18 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Sort of squash without racquets (I had to look on YouTube) 

That is a very good description. 

As a child used to play it against a gable wall any number of players each with 10 lives.

Simpler times.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

57 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Sort of squash without racquets (I had to look on YouTube) 

That sounds like the game called Fives. There were two versions: Eton Fives and Rugby Fives. I played a couple of games of the Rugby version in London about 40 years ago. Played on a court very like a Squash court and, iirc, wearing a 'fingerless' glove on your hitting hand. I was told that the Eton variant was played on a court with wall butresses like a church cloister. It was an interesting exercise but not as much fun as rugby.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

16 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Handball is a great sport! 😀 

Currently watching Croatia v Serbia. As a spectacle I find the mens and womens games equal to watch. Most other sports the women's game seems a bit "pedestrian" when compared to the men's but handball isn't. Both are very quick. 

Don't totally understand whats allowed and not allowed in defence but I don't care. Great sport! 😀 

How could I miss this?!

I have no idea how the Serbs couldn't even get a draw in that game. I could have drawn up a better plan in the final few minutes. It's a good Euros that's going on though and it's always good to have Paul Bray and the bloke who isn't Paul Bray on commentary.

Other people will be able to talk you through what is and isn't allowed but you do sort of get a feel for what's going to be a 7m throw, what's going to be a free and when it's going to be an attacking foul. They have massively tightened up on passive play calls as well so that's one less thing to be thoroughly confused by. (The other thing you don't immediately pick up on is that the ball is basically caked in glue - hence some of the remarkable catches, and also why sometimes you'll see the keepers need their eyes rinsing out if they take a ball to the face).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

That sounds like the game called Fives. There were two versions: Eton Fives and Rugby Fives. I played a couple of games of the Rugby version in London about 40 years ago. Played on a court very like a Squash court and, iirc, wearing a 'fingerless' glove on your hitting hand. I was told that the Eton variant was played on a court with wall butresses like a church cloister. It was an interesting exercise but not as much fun as rugby.

yes my school (public school) played eton fives and played quite a bit in the first term of my first year.. really bloody knackering.. but second term was rugby (first term football) so i stopped when the rugby season started. 

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

How could I miss this?!

I have no idea how the Serbs couldn't even get a draw in that game. I could have drawn up a better plan in the final few minutes. It's a good Euros that's going on though and it's always good to have Paul Bray and the bloke who isn't Paul Bray on commentary.

Other people will be able to talk you through what is and isn't allowed but you do sort of get a feel for what's going to be a 7m throw, what's going to be a free and when it's going to be an attacking foul. They have massively tightened up on passive play calls as well so that's one less thing to be thoroughly confused by. (The other thing you don't immediately pick up on is that the ball is basically caked in glue - hence some of the remarkable catches, and also why sometimes you'll see the keepers need their eyes rinsing out if they take a ball to the face).

what channel?

We used to go on family skiing holidays around new year to europe as a kid when the only channels you would get would be foreign language so it was either MTV or a sports program so you could follow it without needing to speak the language. Used to love watching handball! 

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

the ball is basically caked in glue 

This is didn't know. 

You missed a good game. Couple of red cards (and a blue one. I googled for its meaning 👍) for the Croats too. 

I think I could play in goal. They don't have time to react to a shot so seem to just wave their limbs about and hope the ball hits them. Definitely a case of picking teams, as a kid, for football  and then saying " oh put the fat lad in goal" 

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

This is didn't know. 

You missed a good game. Couple of red cards (and a blue one. I googled for its meaning 👍) for the Croats too. 

I think I could play in goal. They don't have time to react to a shot so seem to just wave their limbs about and hope the ball hits them. Definitely a case of picking teams, as a kid, for football  and then saying " oh put the fat lad in goal" 

I saw most of it and did also have to google the blue card - although I then realised I did know I had forgotten.

You have to be completely nuts to be a handball goalie. They all seem loopy. I'll leave you to judge whether or not that rules you in or out.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

what channel?

We used to go on family skiing holidays around new year to europe as a kid when the only channels you would get would be foreign language so it was either MTV or a sports program so you could follow it without needing to speak the language. Used to love watching handball! 

I watch it here 

https://ehftv.com/home

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

what channel?

All European Handball Federation matches are free on ehftv.com. So that's all men's and women's EHF Champions League, most of the European League and some of the European Cup (the three tiers of club play - 99% without commentary). Then all men's and women's European internationals are on there.

It's a break day between group stages but there are matches on again from tomorrow. You can catch up with where the tournament is up to here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_European_Women's_Handball_Championship

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

Had to pick my favourite team to be able to register... come on 12 monkeys Koln!!!

Cocks.

Your favourite team has to be Cocks.

https://www.eurohandball.com/en/club/0vFrzVk046SVZW0al590Tg/cocks/

Meanwhile ...

image.png.9cb320e9685007e04076ac54168f113c.png

all on ehftv.com.

If you're going to pick one then make it Netherlands (current World Champions) versus Norway (seven-time European champions, twice World champions, three-time Olympic gold medallists) ...

48 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If you're going to pick one then make it Netherlands (current World Champions) versus Norway (seven-time European champions, twice World champions, three-time Olympic gold medallists) ...

Noted and will watch on catch-up as working this evening 

On 09/12/2020 at 06:08, Irish Saint said:

Over here the game of handball is completely different. 

www.gaahandball.ie 

That looks similar to US handball.

It’s very different the Australian schoolyard handball though..

Those of you with a Sepp Blatter approach to women's sport (I couldn't possibly comment) may like to note that it's Sweden v Denmark on ehftv from 7.30pm this evening.

I shall be following my local team, Dunkerque, as they're away at Chartres.

This rather scary poster has the details:

Image may contain: 2 people, text that says "KSTO LIDL LIGUE STAR LNH LNH TV VENDREDI 11 DÉCEMBRE 20H00 cora H CHARTRES MÉTROPOLE HANDBALL USDK Dunkerque Handball land CRAFT::- bpifrance SACA Mercedes USDK Mne #LESPRITDEDUNKERQUE ERQUE NOUSSOMMES"

Archived