League One vs Elite 1 standard

Seems to be a common question that comes up here, how does Elite 1 compare to the English leagues.  Well, I just saw this video on social media, Italian Gioele Celerino has played in both and here he answers this very question (at 2:03 in the video)...

49 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why do you think that? I’d say Elite 1 is equivalent to the bottom half of the championship / top half of L1 - ie better than L1 

I used to think that and I thought at the very least, League One and Elite 1 were more or less on par.  But in the video, he didn't even hesitate, he said League One is stronger, faster etc.  I would say the only exception are the very bottom teams, West Wales and Coventry, that would probably lose to at least a few Elite 1 teams.

best teams like Lezignan, Carcassonne or Villeneuve will beat league One team. It will be a close game against the last championship teams and they will lose to mid and high championship teams.

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

9 hours ago, fcl said:

best teams like Lezignan, Carcassonne or Villeneuve will beat league One team. It will be a close game against the last championship teams and they will lose to mid and high championship teams.

Catalans have done well in Super League and Toulouse in the Championship. More French  teams could and should step up to the same level.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Catalans have done well in Super League and Toulouse in the Championship. More French  teams could and should step up to the same level.

With Southern Hemisphere and British player's to enable them to make the step up Kevin?

The question being posed on this thread is the comparrison of mainly French and English populated teams, Catalans and Toulouse do not come anywhere near that catagorie.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The question being posed on this thread is the comparrison of mainly French and English populated teams, Catalans and Toulouse do not come anywhere near that catagorie.

I don't think that's accurate Harry, I don't believe there were any provisos or caveats about who the team had to contain. If they did then it's a pointless comparison.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

There's a huge range in each division, particularly League 1.

Personally I think elite 1 spans the middle of the Championship to the middle of League 1 in standard - as it is clear both that the top of the championship is clearly stronger and the bottom of League 1 is clearly weaker. 

That makes it difficult to place in an overarching European system!

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That makes it difficult to place in an overarching European system!

Agreed, I have never been a fan but perhaps if this European system is a must going forward then Sweaty's often mentioned 2 x 10 SL divisions with the Euro comp below and P&R through all three divisions.

Only one problem, finance.

38 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

With Southern Hemisphere and British player's to enable them to make the step up Kevin?

Are most Superleague  teams not populated with large numbers of Southern Hemisphere players.

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Agreed, I have never been a fan but perhaps if this European system is a must going forward then Sweaty's often mentioned 2 x 10 SL divisions with the Euro comp below and P&R through all three divisions.

Only one problem, finance.

Tbh I think that is the fundamental flaw. Personally I think international competition should only be for the top division (with exceptions where appropriate) as there isn't currently the resources or commercial value to fund it across two leagues.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How do you propose they do that, considering their financial situation? 

Back in 2012 there was an Anglo-French Challenge to determine which was the stronger competition, the Championship or the French Elite division.

The two respective champions, Featherstone and Pia, were matched for the (very unofficial!) tag of European club champions. That game was a mismatch, with Featherstone going 40 points up in the first half hour before taking their foot off the gas, final score 48-22.

The scores in the other 3 games in the Challenge series were
Leigh 44 Avignon 10
Toulouse 26 Halifax 54
Carcassonne 12 Sheffield 40

A lot has changed since then of course in both leagues.

8 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Back in 2012 there was an Anglo-French Challenge to determine which was the stronger competition, the Championship or the French Elite division.

The two respective champions, Featherstone and Pia, were matched for the (very unofficial!) tag of European club champions. That game was a mismatch, with Featherstone going 40 points up in the first half hour before taking their foot off the gas, final score 48-22.

The scores in the other 3 games in the Challenge series were
Leigh 44 Avignon 10
Toulouse 26 Halifax 54
Carcassonne 12 Sheffield 40

A lot has changed since then of course in both leagues.

Indeed, look at Toulouse now!

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

C'mon Oxy, you don't really believe that do you? 

Harry I don't know why you say this at all

"Seems to be a common question that comes up here, how does Elite 1 compare to the English leagues.  Well, I just saw this video on social media, Italian Gioele Celerino has played in both and here he answers this very question (at 2:03 in the video)... "

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Can you name a Super League or Championship side with only English players? All clubs use players from the Southern Hemisphere.

15 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Can you name a Super League or Championship side with only English players? All clubs use players from the Southern Hemisphere.

Can he name an Australian NRL side that uses only Australian players?

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Can he name an Australian NRL side that uses only Australian players?

*No, most definatley not.

But Tommy you are a Champion of regular International contests between England and France if I am not mistaken, please tell me what it does for the French team if the clubs in the British comp are utilusing far more overseas player's than French nationals in their teams?

It is no good hiding behind changing the system we utilise at the moment or being protective of overseas teams, we have what we have, if a strong(er) French team is of no consequence and it comes down to club before country for the teams in the British comp then proceed with populating them with overseas player's.

*Australia doesn't suffer Internationally by employing overseas player in the NRL, in fact Australian Nationals populate many other teams, do you wish me to name them?

Archived