Is it happening???

"That's My Cup Of Tea"

"I'll Be There With Bells On"

"Carpe Diem"

"Bring Home The Bacon"

"That's the Bee's Knees & Tha Cat's Pyjamas & Meow!"

Bet Wigan & Leeds abstain and Wakey vote against it.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. NRL has the potential to have a global footprint with the NRL, NRL Asia, NRL (Super League), and dare I say it, a presence in North America. 

Without seeking to derail this thread, which has has great potential to weave in all manner of directions, there is the tantilising thought of how the NRL would have dealt with/would deal with a Toronto, and their attitude towards the Ottawa and New York developments. Indeed, it could be that one of the main attractions of Super League to them is the investment potential of the North American involvement. It's readily acknowledged that the NRL pulled out all the stops for Melbourne, positively discriminating in their favour, whereas Super League took a rather different approach.

2 hours ago, Scotchy1 said:

Last month's Grand Final between the Wigan Warriors and St Helens was dramatically won by St Helens in the dying seconds.

The match was the final one in a five-year broadcast deal between the Super League and Sky Sports, which shares the same parent company as Sky News.

Shirley not

Why delete the word “penultimate”?

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

27 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

Interesting. NRL has the potential to have a global footprint with the NRL, NRL Asia, NRL (Super League), and dare I say it, a presence in North America. 

Without seeking to derail this thread, which has has great potential to weave in all manner of directions, there is the tantilising thought of how the NRL would have dealt with/would deal with a Toronto, and their attitude towards the Ottawa and New York developments. Indeed, it could be that one of the main attractions of Super League to them is the investment potential of the North American involvement. It's readily acknowledged that the NRL pulled out all the stops for Melbourne, positively discriminating in their favour, whereas Super League took a rather different approach.

What's NRL Asia?

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

With both competitions running under the same governing body essentially, should hopefully create a greater whole-game vision (including internationals and cross-league competitions).

SL would be owned by the same company but the RFL would oversee UK RL

1 minute ago, Scotchy1 said:

Me too, not sure it bodes well that sky aren't bothered enough to check 

I think if you read almost anything Sky publish, type or print I don't think you'd ov bovvered poosting thart!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Much prefer if the NRL take over, V'landys knows how to run a succesful sport and loves Rugby League.

Ok he will want return on investment but for me that's infinitely better than people just after pure profit.

It would be an end to SL clubs making major decisions through votes, the NRL is not run as a committee.

Suspect the NRL would probably also want franchises.

The NRL have a fantastic product and market it well.  I know things are different here but if they came in and reduced the influence of some Yorkshire clubs would be a good thing

If the NRL want a truly global sport could this see the return of the Wolfpack.  Am guessing the Aussies would want London in the top flight.  Could easily see a return to franchising 

Well this is interesting.

V’landys vs the sometimes boneheaded provincial stubbornness of SL.

The NRL must see a lot of unrealised potential to dare meddling in SL.

Even issues as mundane as having all matches televised causes chaos in SL when this is generally one of the most fundamental features of modern sports. Currently it’s effectively impossible to properly follow a SL team if you don’t live close to the stadium.

It really is interesting and I dont want to be negative, but yes there's always a but it's a completely different culture over there NRL has a much higher profile than SL has here much easier to promote . However like I said its BBC very interesting 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

42 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Do the NRL market their product well? They have a lot of pants crowds. What exactly do they do? What will transfer to the European game? 

I don't think the NRL do everything brilliantly. But they have built the best rugby competition on the planet and built what is clearly imo, the best production line. 

One less tangible thing they can bring is prestige and presentation. I honestly think leveraged right that could be massive for the game.

I also think there are some really easy wins aswell. Upping the value of SL in oz and the NRL in the UK. Tv rights and merchandise etc.

I also think if you looked at things like swapping a couple of games round and having a joint magic weekend, ticket sales. Especially here. Would be massive. 

Lots of synergies as well. Not just with branding etc but some practical ones. Officiating and judiciary, technology (things like the bunker) merchandising etc. 

23 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

I also think there are some really easy wins aswell. Upping the value of SL in oz and the NRL in the UK. Tv rights and merchandise etc.

I also think if you looked at things like swapping a couple of games round and having a joint magic weekend, ticket sales. Especially here. Would be massive. 

Lots of synergies as well. Not just with branding etc but some practical ones. Officiating and judiciary, technology (things like the bunker) merchandising etc. 

I was having similar thoughts about the UK  being a potentially lucrative TV/merch market for the NRL.

My hunch is the figures & revenue for the NRL & Watch NRL are pretty good. I suspect a lot of UK RU as well as RL fans like the NRL. I wonder if the NRL knows that and wants to tap into the synergies you mention.

The downside is SL probably becomes ever more of a feeder league. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Do the NRL market their product well? They have a lot of pants crowds. What exactly do they do? What will transfer to the European game? 

I think the crowds only look poor because they play games with 15k fans in an 80k capacity ground for example. They are massively TV focused as a league as opposed to in person spectator oriented too.

That said most clubs get very respectable crowd numbers.

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I was having similar thoughts about the UK  being a potentially lucrative TV/merch market for the NRL.

My hunch is the figures & revenue for the NRL & Watch NRL are pretty good. I suspect a lot of UK RU as well as RL fans like the NRL. I wonder if the NRL knows that and wants to tap into the synergies you mention.

The downside is SL probably becomes ever more of a feeder league. 

I don't worry that SL becomes a feeder league. There is so much potential in the UK that's not that hard to get at. It would just be leaving money on the table and make no sense.

If you are the NRL how could you look at Leeds or Wigan or Les Catalans and see more potential for growth in the incredibly saturated Sydney market?

1 minute ago, Scotchy1 said:

I don't worry that SL becomes a feeder league. There is so much potential in the UK that's not that hard to get at. It would just be leaving money on the table and make no sense.

If you are the NRL how could you look at Leeds or Wigan or Les Catalans and see more potential for growth in the incredibly saturated Sydney market?

What I mean is more English players will head Down Under, possibly before we even really see them in Super League. 

Archived