Is it happening???

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Dont agree, If anything India us more identified with Cricket, then Australia. England is always Football to the rest of the world.

You’re confusing success with identity old bean.

Indians and Aussies play the most English of sports, and do so as they were part of the Brittas Empire. 

“I say old chap it’s getting late, shall we call it a draw”? These fine gentlemen in their whites then head over to the members pavilion where tea and scones await.

Only Morris dancing challenges cricket as the most quintessential of English activities.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

It is , they cheat 

The “it’s just not cricket” line has never been more apt. You just couldn’t see an Englishman do what they did. 

As I said the Aussies may be successful at it (very successful), but they just don’t look right playing it. They certainly don’t play it in the spirit of the English game. Maybe in the past Aussies were more gentlemanly (Bradman era), where the connection to the motherland was much greater than it it today, so they mirrored how the English played this most English of sports. But a scruffy, chubby, larrikin like Shane Warne, you couldn’t get further from this.

8 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yep, typical falsifying of records there by @The Future is League, great to see someone else has already picked up on it.

Point out whats false?

Look we all know that you are a typical fumbleball fan and don't like the truth.

Next thing you will be saying saying is that the local denizens were playing fumbleball when the first fleet arrived.

I dare say as well that you backed the Essendon 34 as well

7 hours ago, DC77 said:

The “it’s just not cricket” line has never been more apt. You just couldn’t see an Englishman do what they did. 

As I said the Aussies may be successful at it (very successful), but they just don’t look right playing it. They certainly don’t play it in the spirit of the English game. Maybe in the past Aussies were more gentlemanly (Bradman era), where the connection to the motherland was much greater than it it today, so they mirrored how the English played this most English of sports. But a scruffy, chubby, larrikin like Shane Warne, you couldn’t get further from this.

This attitude is why union is big in England and dead in Australia. It's sport. Your moral code is a joke and outdated.

new rise.jpg

7 hours ago, DC77 said:

You’re confusing success with identity old bean.

Indians and Aussies play the most English of sports, and do so as they were part of the Brittas Empire. 

“I say old chap it’s getting late, shall we call it a draw”? These fine gentlemen in their whites then head over to the members pavilion where tea and scones await.

Only Morris dancing challenges cricket as the most quintessential of English activities.

Well I've been to, lived and worked all round the world (over 45 countries so far) and if you say your English people always ask about the Premier league - very few will even mention Cricket.

In India if you want to strike up a conversation just mention cricket and everyone will engage you ( also got me out of a dangerous situation in Pakistan- pleased I mentioned Ian Bothams name rather than say Ellery Hanley that night...)

When I lived in Oz if you mention cricket you will usually get a good conversation - mention say footy and it depends on who you talk to as to which sport they are talking about.

Suggest you experience the world to back up your thoughts... old bean.

14 hours ago, Pulga said:

This attitude is why union is big in England and dead in Australia. It's sport. Your moral code is a joke and outdated.

Your right to pick me up on this as that was not how I intended it to come across. I’m not denigrating Warne, he’s box office office and I was a fan, what I’m saying is he’s not in the tradition of the gentlemen that played cricket. 

On 19/12/2020 at 12:13, The Future is League said:

It's a fusion of 19th century Rugby and Gaelic football played on a Cricket oval. It was invented by ENGLISH and IRISH GOLD MINERS in the Victoria Gold Fields, NOT Australians. It was then used by Cricketers in Australia to stay fit in the winter. It's Australian in origin as pasta. A man called Tom Wills wrote the first laws of the game after he went to Rugby School in England in the 19th century and where he played Cricket and Rugby.

If that is the case (I dunno myself), they are Aussies.

Aussie Rules is as Australian as fair dinkum and Ute.

Its the sole sport that screams Australia. Not just because of it’s origin in Australia, but it’s character is Australia. It’s for this reason I’m surprised by some of the Aussie antipathy towards it (even if they are a “rival” code), it’s Australian.

Gee I think only half of Australia would agree that AFL represents Aussie character🙃 Many would say quite the opposite.

Just because something is Australian, doesn't mean I have to like it.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

If that is the case (I dunno myself), they are Aussies.

Aussie Rules is as Australian as fair dinkum and Ute.

Its the sole sport that screams Australia. Not just because of it’s origin in Australia, but it’s character is Australia. It’s for this reason I’m surprised by some of the Aussie antipathy towards it (even if they are a “rival” code), it’s Australian.

When you think of Australia, what do you think of? Golden beaches, heat, the bush, Sydney Harbour? 

That all rugby league territory.

AFL is cold, damp Melbourne with faux European culture.

new rise.jpg

12 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Ir certainly doesn't in the most Populous state or city or in the 3rd most populous state or city.

Don't bother mate. This guy is a union troll that is using my real name as his new alias. He follows me everywhere. Tens of different usernames across multiple platforms. I haven't actually had an interaction with him in months because I've blocked him everywhere else. This will be his 3rd banning here alone.

new rise.jpg

12 hours ago, DlEHARD said:

Gee I think only half of Australia would agree that AFL represents Aussie character🙃 Many would say quite the opposite.

Can you explain to some of your fellow countrymen that many over here aren't enamered with the NRL 

On 20/12/2020 at 01:07, DC77 said:

They probably changed after a Douglas Jardine led England team tried to knock their heads off.

25 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

A serious question to be considered here is will Sky's low offer kill off the NRL's interest in SL?

Might make it even cheaper to buy into now. 

Forget 75m pound, here`s 50m, take it or leave it.

Sometimes I do wonder if the NRL would wait until SLE  is on its last legs before they come in. It would be cheaper and they are more likely to be able to get their way with any drastic changes.

Another thing that crossed my mind is why does it have to be a buy-out/in at all, SLE is getting cheaper and cheaper and even a 10-15 million dollar grant each year, or not much more than what they spend on an individual club over here may give them a lot of say in running the game. The Poms would hate this but British League would take on the same status as Queensland, NSW and possibly NZ Rugby League. 

Each with competitions run separately, but centrally funded from the NRL, broadcast deals brokered by the NRL etc.

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Sometimes I do wonder if the NRL would wait until SLE  is on its last legs before they come in. It would be cheaper and they are more likely to be able to get their way with any drastic changes.

Another thing that crossed my mind is why does it have to be a buy-out/in at all, SLE is getting cheaper and cheaper and even a 10-15 million dollar grant each year, or not much more than what they spend on an individual club over here may give them a lot of say in running the game. The Poms would hate this but British League would take on the same status as Queensland, NSW and possibly NZ Rugby League. 

Each with competitions run separately, but centrally funded from the NRL, broadcast deals brokered by the NRL etc.

Yes, I think a low deal this time makes it more attractive potentially to outside investment. They would probably get a better price to buy in, and a low price now leaves room for growth in future. 

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It really doesn't make sense for the NRL to buy SL and run it down. An SL of the NRLs size and quality is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, an SL of the size of the queenland cup is worth hundreds of thousands.

The huge benefit of SL to the NRL would be the synergies through increasing the value of the respective leagues in the opposite area (I.e nrl in the UK, SL down under) the opportunities of selling cross divisional games, advertising, sponsorship etc, savings from centralising officiating and central operations.

And the big Big big one. The watch nrl app. Which can very quickly become the watch RL app. 8 nrl games, 6 SL games, lower league games from both hemispheres. Guaranteed market in France which can grown, and instantly provides an alternative to Sky TV in the UK. That would be a real game changer for us

1 hour ago, Scotchy1 said:

It really doesn't make sense for the NRL to buy SL and run it down. An SL of the NRLs size and quality is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, an SL of the size of the queenland cup is worth hundreds of thousands.

Yes absolutely SLE should be worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and I have read it many times down here that some NRL administrators believe that SLE is grossly undervalued.

Unfortunately that is not the direction that British Rugby League is headed. When, where and how  the NRL would make their move into British Rugby League is the million dollar question.

The point I was making above is that as the value of British RL declines, and by this the best yardstick would be the shrinking salary cap, it may open up other options for the NRL to get involved.

I think at some point the NRL will definitely make a move on British RL, if it can not turn its own fortunes around, there is absolutely no advantage to us of it shrinking beyond a certain point.

It`s fantastic having the Pacific nations starting to provide us with competitive international football, but the real money lies in first world countries with first world economies having strong RL competitions with strong national teams. League has very few of those and we can`t afford to lose even one.

I can almost guarantee that V`landy`s & co. will be racking their brains with ways they can help British  League. I am hoping that a statement released by the IRLF the other day which promised the release of a full International calendar in the near future shows us making more of an effort in that area to help you out. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Yes absolutely SLE should be worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and I have read it many times down here that some NRL administrators believe that SLE is grossly undervalued.

Unfortunately that is not the direction that British Rugby League is headed. When, where and how  the NRL would make their move into British Rugby League is the million dollar question.

The point I was making above is that as the value of British RL declines, and by this the best yardstick would be the shrinking salary cap, it may open up other options for the NRL to get involved.

I think at some point the NRL will definitely make a move on British RL, if it can not turn its own fortunes around, there is absolutely no advantage to us of it shrinking beyond a certain point.

It`s fantastic having the Pacific nations starting to provide us with competitive international football, but the real money lies in first world countries with first world economies having strong RL competitions with strong national teams. League has very few of those and we can`t afford to lose even one.

I can almost guarantee that V`landy`s & co. will be racking their brains with ways they can help British  League. I am hoping that a statement released by the IRLF the other day which promised the release of a full International calendar in the near future shows us making more of an effort in that area to help you out. Fingers crossed.

NRL administrators may well believe that SLE is grossly undervalued, but the huge reduction in Sky's new contract offer would suggest that in fact it's been overvalued instead.  Turning that around could well be beyond their abilities.

On 21/12/2020 at 01:04, DlEHARD said:

Completely get that. But the vitriol that is extended to it was a surprise.

Yesterday I googled for Aussie Rules RL rivalry and It’s shocking the animosity the two sports have towards one another. “Bogans” (I know quite a few Aussie words but never come across that word before) follow RL according to the Aussie Rules followers so I get its back and forth. That the Vlandys fella does similar with the barbs is too much though. 

• 1 month later...
On 22/12/2020 at 03:47, Big Picture said:

A serious question to be considered here is will Sky's low offer kill off the NRL's interest in SL?

I would hope so the NRL isn't a great example to follow. All the clubs are more or less bankrup, don't own their own grounds like many SL clubs do and rely on slot machines in their club houses to make money - not a good example.

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I would hope so the NRL isn't a great example to follow. All the clubs are more or less bankrup, don't own their own grounds like many SL clubs do and rely on slot machines in their club houses to make money - not a good example.

I really don't know where to start....

Archived