Barrow wanted to go up..but could it be the end of newcastle

Supported Barrow for years wanted to go up

I have agreed with the decision made by the board I.e. no dual reg looking longer term..but yet again turned out to be a bad choice looking back..if only we had hind sight

But if you go up this year and come down next would it be worse..league 1 should survive this year...after that who know.will Ottawa arrive if they do hard to get promoted..will it be one up will there be any promotion...with rugby who knows...so is it best to plan long term or plan for just this year...we have no stability what so ever...just be nice if we stuck to something for at least 3 years say...change yes but like this not good

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could be the beginning of Newcastle ... I’m disappointed but I wish them well . I’ve got Geordie blood , fantastic people and great area . I hope they make it work and it’s the springboard for the game to flourish there long term . They’ve put foundations in place which hopefully serve them well . Yes it could go wrong , it’s a hell of a tough league , but I’m a firm believer in going for it and having a go 

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How will this decision mean it could be the end of Newcastle? 

I suspect he means that after all the money spent and past falling at the important hurdle you have now been handed promotion on a plate, it can go either one way or the other, the owner must be prepared to splash out and take quite a big loss in order to keep you up and if it does not happen then the opportunity given and not taken wil mean a very tough future if relegated. Money, as always, is going to be your key and heavy subsidisation is what the owner must now be prepared to do. It is a season of make or break, a leg up a league is a very rare gift and will not come along again. 

I would'nt worry about Barrow Raiders mate, they've been around for 145 years, RFL mmbers since switching in 1897. They are in a RL town of 55,000 people in a Borough of 70k with no other RFL / SL teams on their doorstep with a massive amateur / community scene in and around that Borough.  

11 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I personally think that Ottawa Aces will just die a death before being even born.

Agreed. Such a shame, but who in their right mind would put a penny into the project now SL have shown how parochial they are. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Agreed. Such a shame, but who in their right mind would put a penny into the project now SL have shown how parochial they are. 

Depends what the situation is in 6 months, I think they'll be looking very closely at the NRL discussions.

3 minutes ago, PhilCarrington said:

Not parochial, just sensible given how TWP was run. Several posters on here have told me how differently OA will be run

Irrelevant to the decision I’m afraid, SL clubs just didn’t want TWP in, that was obvious from the start. 

13 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Newcastle will be midtable.  5 or 6 wins clear of relegation I wager. 

I wish them all the luck and this shouldn't be a problem , they need a clean out and to spend the owners cash and sign wisely . but if they don't change much they are relegation fodder .

3 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

I suspect he means that after all the money spent and past falling at the important hurdle you have now been handed promotion on a plate, it can go either one way or the other, the owner must be prepared to splash out and take quite a big loss in order to keep you up and if it does not happen then the opportunity given and not taken wil mean a very tough future if relegated. Money, as always, is going to be your key and heavy subsidisation is what the owner must now be prepared to do. It is a season of make or break, a leg up a league is a very rare gift and will not come along again. 

So, if Barrow had got the nod, how would they have been in a different position? Where would their subsidisation (sic) have come from?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Newcastle will be midtable.  5 or 6 wins clear of relegation I wager. 

Big call to say they will be around 6th or 7th. I had them at about the same for Championship 1. I expect them to come straight down but I hope they don't lose heart because of it.

Edit: Forgot there are 14 teams in our league 😆 So maybe 7th or 8th.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Get the impression people think Newcastle need to spend oceans to be competitive.  They don't , Halifax had a budget of between 250 -300 k max last season.  Newcastle will match that.  Finishing 10th out of 14 will be easier than trying to go up with only 1 automatic spot. 

I think we spent more than that to be honest but the point is its easier to attract players cheaper when you are an established team. Newcastle will have to pay over the odds to bring players in ahead of other teams in the league. That's what makes it such a tough ask especially when most teams have kept money back as they expect SL teams to offload players.

16 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think we spent more than that to be honest but the point is its easier to attract players cheaper when you are an established team. Newcastle will have to pay over the odds to bring players in ahead of other teams in the league. That's what makes it such a tough ask especially when most teams have kept money back as they expect SL teams to offload players.

I think Newcastle’s ambition will attract players. If I was a 24 year old semi pro now I’d find going there more attractive than playing for Halifax (as an example, though the same applies for a lot of Championship clubs). Better facilities and a stated ambition to get into SL and win it. 

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think Newcastle’s ambition will attract players. If I was a 24 year old semi pro now I’d find going there more attractive than playing for Halifax (as an example, though the same applies for a lot of Championship clubs). Better facilities and a stated ambition to get into SL and win it. 

I totally agree with you.....thats if you are not good enough to get in to any of the top 4 or 5 teams in the division who have a hope of playing in SL in the near future. At this stage in the season the only reason a good player is going to Newcastle is if they offer more money than the other teams either that or guarenteed money win or lose. Thats not a slight on Newcastle its just the facts as to how it works in RL.

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Travelling up to and back from Newcastle for training a couple of times a week after a day's work is a big challenge for PT players from the 'heartlands'. 

37 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I agree it is more difficult to attract players due to the commute but I guess that is what makes the academy a boon. Also younger lads are just as likely to be able to find work in Newcastle as some areas of Yorkshire so part time players who aren't old in the tooth are possible. In 2019 12 points would keep you up. Looking at the fixtures , I think they can at least split results with Batley , Shef, Dews, Oldham, Whitehaven and Swinton whilst picking up the odd win against a Bradford, York or Widnes to stay up. Fax budget I got from this article https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2020/apr/16/rugby-league-clubs-super-league-lockdown-matchday-championship-wages

Thats a quality article from the guardian 

40 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I agree it is more difficult to attract players due to the commute but I guess that is what makes the academy a boon. Also younger lads are just as likely to be able to find work in Newcastle as some areas of Yorkshire so part time players who aren't old in the tooth are possible. In 2019 12 points would keep you up. Looking at the fixtures , I think they can at least split results with Batley , Shef, Dews, Oldham, Whitehaven and Swinton whilst picking up the odd win against a Bradford, York or Widnes to stay up. Fax budget I got from this article https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2020/apr/16/rugby-league-clubs-super-league-lockdown-matchday-championship-wages

The Newcastle Club should be able to assist with getting players work through networks of the directors and sponsors, also probably flat shares with team housemates. 

That could offset the massive disadvantage of the Newcastle clubs geography for their part time player element. 

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Get the impression people think Newcastle need to spend oceans to be competitive.  They don't , Halifax had a budget of between 250 -300 k max last season.  Newcastle will match that.  Finishing 10th out of 14 will be easier than trying to go up with only 1 automatic spot. 

Match 250-300k ? They'd have to get rid of players to get down to that level of spending. 😱

Archived