Barrow wanted to go up..but could it be the end of newcastle

7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

So my point that they can financially compete stands then. 

Financially competitive yes. On the field competitive I would say is unlikely. They were unlikely to get near promotion with their current team so now have to release some of the those players to bring in some more quality just to have  chance of staying up. Its a very tough ask at the stage of the off season.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gutted Barrow didnt get the nod.Newcastle will need a  miracle to stay up,the championship is ultra competitive.Haven realised this in the few games they played and have brought over some aussies +  mcnally.Thunder will have  to do likewise to stand any chance . Its been 10 years since they were last promoted.deffo more difficult nowadays.if duel reg is no more anything could happen,some will benefit others not.good luck anyways.

On 11/12/2020 at 07:23, The Blues Ox said:

Financially competitive yes. On the field competitive I would say is unlikely. They were unlikely to get near promotion with their current team so now have to release some of the those players to bring in some more quality just to have  chance of staying up. Its a very tough ask at the stage of the off season.

what makes you think we would of been unlikely to get near promotion? i disagree 100 percent, our squad now would be good enough to gain promotion from league 1, we have some very good players who can also do a very good job in the championship, that im confident about.

9 hours ago, Thunder fan said:

what makes you think we would of been unlikely to get near promotion? i disagree 100 percent, our squad now would be good enough to gain promotion from league 1, we have some very good players who can also do a very good job in the championship, that im confident about.

I think theres about 3 or 4 better teams in Champ 1. Hopefully now with a bit of time you can bring in the 6 or 7 players needed to give you a shot of avoiding relegation.

55 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think theres about 3 or 4 better teams in Champ 1. Hopefully now with a bit of time you can bring in the 6 or 7 players needed to give you a shot of avoiding relegation.

again i disagree, though we all have different opinions, and thats yours, our squad would of been one of the best without a doubt in league 1, again thats my opinion, and 23 man squad announced so far, think another 4/5 signings will do us nicely, to go with quality players like lewis young, keiron gill, matty wright, calum turner, jack johnson, sam wilde, bob beswick, colton roach, mikey wood, reece dean etc etc etc.

10 hours ago, Thunder fan said:

You stole my thunder. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

9 hours ago, Thunder fan said:

again i disagree, though we all have different opinions, and thats yours, our squad would of been one of the best without a doubt in league 1, again thats my opinion, and 23 man squad announced so far, think another 4/5 signings will do us nicely, to go with quality players like lewis young, keiron gill, matty wright, calum turner, jack johnson, sam wilde, bob beswick, colton roach, mikey wood, reece dean etc etc etc.

I actually hope you are right and they can stay in the division as its a different team and ground to visit for us. I can't see it but I do wish you luck.

On 11/12/2020 at 00:10, ShropshireBull said:

I will be amazed if they get relegated.  They dont need or want to do a Toronto.  Survive next year.  Use magic weekend to get a bumper crowd,  momentum off World Cup to increase exposure and they will be in position to push on in 2022. 

This, the target is not to compete with the top 6, but only to pick up enough points off the bottom half to stay up, then 2022 is another year.

On 10/12/2020 at 16:56, Eddie said:

Agreed. Such a shame, but who in their right mind would put a penny into the project now SL have shown how parochial they are. 

I don't think that will be the major concern, I think Coronavirus might put the skids under them for now. No guarantee about the virus being stopped, and Canada going into Lockdown, or restrictions to & from UK.

There is quite a gap in the divisions and a very different game in the CH from L1.

I remember Dewsbury's unbeaten season in L1, what they weren't going to do in the CH, wasn't worth doing. I don't think they picked up a league point until about halfway through the following season. Newcastle's team weren't good enough to win promotion, I realise they have strengthened since then but so has everyone else, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As stated in the thread above, there will need to be some strong signings at Newcastle to make them competitive IMO. However, Newcastle seem to be well funded and might be able to do it, if anyone can, they are probably in the best position to do so.

The problem they will face in making those required signings is similar to Leigh's predicament. Most of the better players they need, are already tied to clubs at this late stage of proceedings, so they are left scratching round for the players, not really wanted by other clubs, or paying transfer fees.

The other stumbling block for Newcastle, like the cumbrian clubs face, is finding lads that are happy to up sticks and move to the area, or are happy with the travelling time from the heartlands, where most are based.

It is a huge commitment travelling to Cumbria or Newcastle from the heartlands 2 or 3 times a week after a full day at work in rush hour traffic. I know I wouldn't fancy it, especially if I could take less money playing for a club on my doorstep.

16 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

There is quite a gap in the divisions and a very different game in the CH from L1.

I remember Dewsbury's unbeaten season in L1, what they weren't going to do in the CH, wasn't worth doing. I don't think they picked up a league point until about halfway through the following season. Newcastle's team weren't good enough to win promotion, I realise they have strengthened since then but so has everyone else, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As stated in the thread above, there will need to be some strong signings at Newcastle to make them competitive IMO. However, Newcastle seem to be well funded and might be able to do it, if anyone can, they are probably in the best position to do so.

The problem they will face in making those required signings is similar to Leigh's predicament. Most of the better players they need, are already tied to clubs at this late stage of proceedings, so they are left scratching round for the players, not really wanted by other clubs, or paying transfer fees.

The other stumbling block for Newcastle, like the cumbrian clubs face, is finding lads that are happy to up sticks and move to the area, or are happy with the travelling time from the heartlands, where most are based.

It is a huge commitment travelling to Cumbria or Newcastle from the heartlands 2 or 3 times a week after a full day at work in rush hour traffic. I know I wouldn't fancy it, especially if I could take less money playing for a club on my doorstep.

Currently there is a surplus of players around who can perform at Championship level under a decent coach. This is largely, but not entirely, due to the scrapping of the SL reserves competition this year. If you check out the number of players that weren't retained by SL clubs yet have still to land contracts elsewhere you will see that numbers aren't a problem. Coaching will be key.

The travelling is another issue though, I would agree with you but this takes it's toll on numerous players who don't play for a relatively local club.

They just need 3 or 4 astute signings - not so-called "marquees" but solid pros with Championship experience.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

These were my thoughts too but according to someone on their own TRL forum they have those quality players have  already negotiated and now ready to sign after promotion was confirmed. Very brave and noble  of them to hold out this long on just a chance, quality players usually get snapped up and tied up early as possible to fancied ranking clubs. 

3 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Except that for a young player the offer of moving to a famously young-person-centric party town like Newcastle (that's still got the Northern wage/price bracket - hence no London cost of living issues) has got something that an equivalent offer to move to Barrow, Whitehaven and Workington hasn't.

Sure it will come to me...

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Currently there is a surplus of players around who can perform at Championship level under a decent coach. This is largely, but not entirely, due to the scrapping of the SL reserves competition this year. If you check out the number of players that weren't retained by SL clubs yet have still to land contracts elsewhere you will see that numbers aren't a problem. Coaching will be key.

The travelling is another issue though, I would agree with you but this takes it's toll on numerous players who don't play for a relatively local club.

They just need 3 or 4 astute signings - not so-called "marquees" but solid pros with Championship experience.

Numbers was not really the issue I was highlighting. I am sure there are plenty of players to go around, as you point out. However, like the draft system in the NFL, the point I was making was, it is better to be picking players early, to get players you want, rather than having to settle for what everyone else has rejected for whatever reason.

As Ringo points out, maybe that won't be an issue if they already have a few players waiting in the wings.

I don't envy them, or Leigh to be honest. Staying up after promotion is hard enough even when you know at the end of the previous season. To try and do it so close to the start of the next campaign, can only increase the difficulty.

45 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Numbers was not really the issue I was highlighting. I am sure there are plenty of players to go around, as you point out. However, like the draft system in the NFL, the point I was making was, it is better to be picking players early, to get players you want, rather than having to settle for what everyone else has rejected for whatever reason.

As Ringo points out, maybe that won't be an issue if they already have a few players waiting in the wings.

I don't envy them, or Leigh to be honest. Staying up after promotion is hard enough even when you know at the end of the previous season. To try and do it so close to the start of the next campaign, can only increase the difficulty.

Fair enough, but there is still some quality around as well. With a couple of astute signings they will be competitive enough to have a decent chance of survival.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 17/12/2020 at 12:34, Johnny Ringo said:

These were my thoughts too but according to someone on their own TRL forum they have those quality players have  already negotiated and now ready to sign after promotion was confirmed. Very brave and noble  of them to hold out this long on just a chance, quality players usually get snapped up and tied up early as possible to fancied ranking clubs. 

New signings being announced this week, so far Samy Kibula on a season loan from Warrington and Josh Woods on a 2 year deal from Wigan.

Archived