Newcastle

NickD

I see the club are congratulating Newcastle on their promotion to the Championship.   I’d have preferred one of the Cumbrian teams personally.  I’m sure BSJ will Pick me up but this just seems like another go at expansion to the detriment of teams from traditional RL heartlands.  Haven’t we tried the NE before?  Can’t seem to remember us having much luck.  Football mad up there.  

2 hours ago, NickD said:

I see the club are congratulating Newcastle on their promotion to the Championship.   I’d have preferred one of the Cumbrian teams personally.  I’m sure BSJ will Pick me up but this just seems like another go at expansion to the detriment of teams from traditional RL heartlands.  Haven’t we tried the NE before?  Can’t seem to remember us having much luck.  Football mad up there.  

It's an hour and a half away!!! It takes longer to get to Barrow! There is a thriving amateur scene up here! 

Seriously, could you get anymore parochial?

48 minutes ago, distantdog said:

It's an hour and a half away!!! It takes longer to get to Barrow! There is a thriving amateur scene up here! 

Seriously, could you get anymore parochial?

Maybe not but the RL have a massive history of trying to expand  the game and failing miserably.   We’ve tried the NE and it failed.  The last effort went just as well didn’t it?  Just ask anyone from Toronto.  I might be parochial or maybe Im just knocking on and I’ve seen it all before.  😉

3 hours ago, NickD said:

I'm sure that the club would have congratulated whoever had been selected - I believe that it is called good manners.

Cumbria isn't really a traditional heartland either, is it? They have only been professional since the second World war. 

Seriously, the Newcastle club are making a very serious job of developing RL around there. there is a lot of investment going into the club, their marketing operation is also good. No doubt, if they start to draw larger crowds than "heartland" clubs such as ours there will be something else to criticise them for. We need every good club that we can get in RL, otherwise the slow death spiral will continue.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Maybe not but the RL have a massive history of trying to expand  the game and failing miserably.   We’ve tried the NE and it failed.  The last effort went just as well didn’t it?  Just ask anyone from Toronto.  I might be parochial or maybe Im just knocking on and I’ve seen it all before.  😉

You do know Newcastle is a lot closer than Toronto? RL has not failed up here! There is a lot of development work going on, supported by the Thunder, as well as a decent amateur scene. I mean, unless I dreamt this, I saw Batley Boys play up here this year gone! And they didn't need an overnight stay either!

57 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I'm sure that the club would have congratulated whoever had been selected - I believe that it is called good manners.

Cumbria isn't really a traditional heartland either, is it? They have only been professional since the second World war. 

Seriously, the Newcastle club are making a very serious job of developing RL around there. there is a lot of investment going into the club, their marketing operation is also good. No doubt, if they start to draw larger crowds than "heartland" clubs such as ours there will be something else to criticise them for. We need every good club that we can get in RL, otherwise the slow death spiral will continue.

Before Mr Angry of Cumbria replies; and possibly splitting hairs BSJ, I should point out that Cumbria/Cumberland had a strong enough RL base for the county team to beat Australia in every decade except one in the first half of the 20th Century as well as beating New Zealand in 1908.  It depends on one's definition of heartland I guess.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Cheers BSJ.  You never disappoint..🤣🤣

Correct and obvious decision 

Magic weekend returning to the toon

So a platform to promote rugby league in the area. 

Just hope London don't become the easy option for promotion to super league.. Looks like RL is expanding on the cheap. 

I've my fingers crossed for Bradford 🤔

Simply for the entertainment value what will be on the RL boards. 

Leigh going up for me, far too strong for the championship.. 

Plus it will give featherstone a chance at winning something with the Centurions out of the way for a season🤔🤔🤣🤣

14 hours ago, Bi11 said:

Before Mr Angry of Cumbria replies; and possibly splitting hairs BSJ, I should point out that Cumbria/Cumberland had a strong enough RL base for the county team to beat Australia in every decade except one in the first half of the 20th Century as well as beating New Zealand in 1908.  It depends on one's definition of heartland I guess.

I should just add that I have no strong feelings on the thread topic; just that the suggestion that Cumbria is not part of the Rugby League heartland seemed somewhat contentious. 

17 hours ago, Bi11 said:

I still regard Barrow as being in Lancashire, which it certainly was in 1908.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

46 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I am in full agreement with you BSJ. 

St Helens, Salford, Swinton, Warrington, Widnes and Wigan are in Lancashire too and Salford has never been in Manchester, nor was Bootle ever part of Liverpool. 

I could go on about the changes of 1974, but I’d better not. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

If I remember correctly it was the part of Lancashire that you had to leave Lancashire to reach.  

But yes, lads from Barrow would certainly have considered themselves to be Lancastrians.  I would guess that the Cumberland teams that played and sometimes beat Australia would have contained a number of Barrow players but they would have been Cumberland born and learnt the game playing for Cumbrian amateur clubs.  You have a better memory for these things than I have BSJ, but I seem to recall that Cumbria also had a spell post war when they were considered the best county side. Cumberland certainly had a reputation in the late 1960s for producing the best forwards; whilst as recently as 2010 Cumbria drew with England in a warm up match.  

Sorry folks, way off thread!

18 hours ago, Bi11 said:

If I remember correctly it was the part of Lancashire that you had to leave Lancashire to reach.  

But yes, lads from Barrow would certainly have considered themselves to be Lancastrians.  I would guess that the Cumberland teams that played and sometimes beat Australia would have contained a number of Barrow players but they would have been Cumberland born and learnt the game playing for Cumbrian amateur clubs.  You have a better memory for these things than I have BSJ, but I seem to recall that Cumbria also had a spell post war when they were considered the best county side. Cumberland certainly had a reputation in the late 1960s for producing the best forwards; whilst as recently as 2010 Cumbria drew with England in a warm up match.  

Sorry folks, way off thread!

No RL in Westmorland, then?

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Signed for Oldham in Jan 2020 - think was only a 1 year deal as he's not been mentioned for next season

14 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

According to some Oldham supporters he had disappeared before we played them on 9th March. 

Only played a few games then disappeared,heard he’d had a fall out with Diskin and one or two players,that’s  unlike him 🙈could fallout with himself that lad.

3 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Only played a few games then disappeared,heard he’d had a fall out with Diskin and one or two players,that’s  unlike him 🙈could fallout with himself that lad.

Wasted talent he really could carved out a great career for himself, more chips than Harry Ramsdens

Knuckle down and work hard 

I expect him popping up at somewhere like Keighley. 

Archived