New rules nrl 2021

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say I like the 2 point drop goal ruling. You don't get a try being worth an extra point if it's run in from over 40 metres. Nor the justification that it can be used to get a draw at full time just to go to extra time. 

The handover for incorrect play the ball isn't as clear as it should be, as it is for if an attempt to play it with the foot isn't made. So you can still roll it back and wave your foot and that will be sufficient. 

At least the nrl have kept scrums for now, and the policing of them maybe a bit stricter with the call 'break' being called before an actual break up of the scrum is allowed. 

Will super league keep the scrums after this season without them, do people really want them back or not.

This will be interesting.

If a trainer asks for play to be stopped the injured player must be either interchanged or taken off the field for a period of two minutes of elapsed game time before he is permitted to resume his place on the field.

42 minutes ago, usain bolt said:

2 point drop goal from 40+ metres out

The end of every first half could get interesting with this rule..

20m out with 10 seconds until halftime... what do you choose to do? Attempt to score a try or pass it way back to a gun kicker?

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Game doesn’t need any more speeding up,it’s not 9s !!

Some of the changes are just gimmicky.

Fortunately you guys in the UK can watch the rules tested in competition and make your own decision after seeing how they play out in real life. 

Another prime example of V’landys not being held to tradition and his willingness to simply make wholesale changes to improve the product. He’d totally change it back too if it failed, probably mid season.

If he ever had control of SL, I can only imagine the chaos that would be created amongst those who are determined to run SL like a snake that eats its own tail.

2 hours ago, Copa said:

Another prime example of V’landys not being held to tradition and his willingness to simply make wholesale changes to improve the product. He’d totally change it back too if it failed, probably mid season.

If he ever had control of SL, I can only imagine the chaos that would be created amongst those who are determined to run SL like a snake that eats its own tail.

But which of those rule changes is likely to fail: 

* the 2 point field goal will be rarely attempted, like the 20/40,

* the PTB change is a no-brainer, hard to get wrong, players will just have to make a decent effort,

* the `break` call from the scrum won`t be hard to enforce and will be quite easy for players to comply with,

The only one that I am not sure of is the effect of allowing more `Captains Challenges`. More CC`s may allow for breaks in play where everyone, fans included can catch their breath.

Personally I don`t mind the game being made faster, however I don`t think the overall game needs to take less time. I like the idea of the game being more frenetic while the ball is in play, however there being ample breaks in between that frenetic activity. This also would work for advertisers as well. There were times this year when the televised games were finishing 10 minutes earlier than in previous years.  If games are over too fast I do wonder whether people may also feel like they haven`t got their moneys worth especially when attending live games.

It has to be said that although, on their own, they are good changes it reads like a recipe for confusion and a rule book where some are only applied in a month with an R in it!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

the 2 point field goal will be rarely attempted, like the 20/40,

I think this will occur every few games. If you’re winding down to half time with only a few seconds left, why not go for 2 points?

3 hours ago, Copa said:

I think this will occur every few games. If you’re winding down to half time with only a few seconds left, why not go for 2 points?

True, any other time may just end up conceding poor field position or kicking it dead.

What I am more interested in is where this supposed `unpredictability` is going to come from. They obviously consider it an issue as it is mentioned more than once.  It seems that they think getting in to position for the occasional shot at a long range drop goal constitutes unpredictability. 

For me greater unpredictability revolves around encouraging offloads, grubbers, chip kicks, maybe even long range kicks early in the tackle count for your wingers. Basically anything that risks losing possession early in the count for the sake of making extra metres. As is all the rewards are for one or two out play. It would be nice for more inventive play to be encouraged somehow.

6 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

True, any other time may just end up conceding poor field position or kicking it dead.

What I am more interested in is where this supposed `unpredictability` is going to come from. They obviously consider it an issue as it is mentioned more than once.  It seems that they think getting in to position for the occasional shot at a long range drop goal constitutes unpredictability. 

For me greater unpredictability revolves around encouraging offloads, grubbers, chip kicks, maybe even long range kicks early in the tackle count for your wingers. Basically anything that risks losing possession early in the count for the sake of making extra metres. As is all the rewards are for one or two out play. It would be nice for more inventive play to be encouraged somehow.

For a big increase in unpredictability and mobility, they’d have to drop down to 11 or 12 players on the field.

I would not be surprised at all if this happens. Union is facing big legal issues with the concussion saga and I expect them to cut the number of players faster than we could ever expect in the next few years, so we may as well stay ahead of them.

The best change is the handover following an illegal PTB. The ball is not meant to be in play until it makes contact with the tackled player`s foot. If a player wilfully declines to bring the ball into play, it`s morally just and logical for the ball to be handed to an opponent who will. Problem in UK would be if neither team are willing to play the ball correctly. Apply this law here at the moment and most of the 80 minutes would consist of ongoing reciprocal handovers.

Don`t like the 2 point field goal. It`s a bonus point for artistic merit. Such points systems are characteristic of non-sports like Figure Skating, Synchronised Swimming, Rhythmic Gymnastics, Rugby Union.

Also don`t like a PTB after the ball goes over the touchline. This has to result in less variety, only more of the same. There`s something conspicuously mundane about the settler teams inevitably go with on tackle 1 following a handover. With a scrum, the pattern of play at the restart is potentially more varied.

At scrum time, how does calling "break" differ from calling "out"? Refs are currently calling "out" almost before the ball is "in".

The distinction between "inconclusive" and "unsuccessful" must be key in the amendment to the Captain`s Challenge. Presumably without evidence to conclusively disprove the captain`s claim, the on-field call will stand, but the challenge is retained. The captain still can`t challenge with impunity. It still probably means more of the Bunker, which is rather at odds with Pete V`s spiel of "less (should be fewer) stoppages, more unpredictability and increased excitement for our fans".

Imagine any other sport where one country just changed the rules. Imagine that happening in soccer or union? Just makes the sport look small time and is such as bad reflection on the international body.

We also know the Aussies will whinge terribly if these aren’t all adopted for the WC. Let’s resist further changes, may help us win the comp 😂

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

44 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Imagine any other sport where one country just changed the rules. Imagine that happening in soccer or union? Just makes the sport look small time and is such as bad reflection on the international body.

We also know the Aussies will whinge terribly if these aren’t all adopted for the WC. Let’s resist further changes, may help us win the comp 😂

VAR is a massive rule change that’s happened in some countries and not others, indeed in some leagues and others within the same country. 

7 hours ago, usain bolt said:

2 point drop goal from 40+ metres out

Retaining scrums but not for ball in touch

6 again restart instead of penalty

Handover of ball for incorrect ptb 

Just a few of the new rule changes for the nrl 2021 season ahead 

2 point drop goal seems a bit of a gimmick other than that I don’t think they're bad changes. Looks like the beginning of the end for the scrum.

How i long for the day we all play under the same set of rules though

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

2pt drop goal seems gimmicky but then again could be dramatic.

Six-again for offside seems natural evolution.

Is there not a possibility of an Alex  Murphy tactics of going offside defending in your own half when a penalty could be a game changer. 

Way things are going in the NRL we will soon be playing a different game. 

Like many, I have had concerns over the sport having different laws in different competitions/territories but actually having a different points scoring system seems a step too far.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

VAR is a massive rule change that’s happened in some countries and not others, indeed in some leagues and others within the same country. 

And it’s fundamentally changed the game for the worst just as constantly changing the rules to speed up the game even further is doing in our sport.

1 hour ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Basketball plays under different rules in pretty much every league. Ice hockey has some different rules between the NHL and the rest, I believe. You only need to listen to the 'polite comments' from some players and commentators to know that whilst rugby union may have the same rules in every game, how that game is then played depends entirely on the officials' interpretations. I've watched FA endorsed football in this country with sin bins (including seeing a goalkeeper getting sinbinned) and rolling interchanges. Netball in Australia - but only its domestic league - has a two point shot but no one else does.

It's annoying that we have so much variation despite so few distinct competitions but it's not a uniquely rugby league issue and barely registers in the wider scheme of things.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived