Jersey design .... original England one and Wigan

Genuine curiousity question ..

Who had the striped red and white design first .....England or Wigan ..and did it ever cause any issues ?  Ask as recall seeing the England team in hoops for the test v Australia a few years back. 

Ditto Wakefield and Great Britain and blue and red chevrons ? 

Edited by The Partisan

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

1 hour ago, The Partisan said:

Who had the striped red and white design first .....England or Wigan ..and did it ever cause any issues ?  Ask as recall seeing the England team in hoops for the test v Australia a few years back. 

Good question. 

As far as Wakefield go, I can't give a definitive answer, but I would think GB were first.

Wakefield played in blue with a red band from the 19th century. I think the 1959/60 season was the first mainly white shirt with red and blue bands. They won the 1963 cup final in the blue/red chevrons.

Great Britain won the 1954 world cup wearing blue/red chevrons and I don't think Wakefield wore such a kit until the 1960s.

1 hour ago, The Partisan said:

Wigan originally played in Blue hoops 

• Haha 1

England Rugby Union pre split had a red and white hooped shirt, the famous painting shows it and they had an away shirt dedicated to it a few years back.

I believe for the England NU team red and white hoops were kept from the RU days and to some extent represented Yorkshire and Lancashire, similar to how the original Australia RL jerseys were sky blue and maroon to represent NSW and Queensland.

Apologies it seems it was a Lancashire RU shirt

Edited by Tommygilf

15 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Wigan first played in C&W hoops in 1885, blue before that, the rumour is that Leigh had provided them a kit to help out

Leigh are red and white I believe.  Wigan for some reason changed at some point to cherry.  Perhaps they borrowed it from Japan.

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Leigh are red and white I believe.  Wigan for some reason changed at some point to cherry.  Perhaps they borrowed it from Japan.

Leigh were/are always Cherry from 1878, borrowed ours at start of 1885 season the club you claim to be formed in 1872 died and became today’s club much later in 1879 as Wasps or 1881 when going back to Wigan fc 

Original Northern Union shirt was red, yellow and white stripes with I think white shorts and navy socks. 

Think one of the Leeds Unis did some kind of spectral analysis on an old photo and found the yellow in the shirt, everyone presumed it was just red and white hoops. 

They made a number of the shirts to buy.

rugby-league-northern-union-shirt_360_6049dcd38250462c393cfc60e6363ba5.jpg

• Like 7

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh were/are always Cherry from 1878, borrowed ours at start of 1885 season the club you claim to be formed in 1872 died and became today’s club much later in 1879 as Wasps or 1881 when going back to Wigan fc 

There's an interesting article at the very end of the "Cherry & White" section of the "Early Wigan Rugby" website & virtual museum, which clearly disputes the story that Wigan borrowed a set of cherry & white shirts from Leigh.

It also mentions that the Leigh club disbanded in 1882 & didn't exist between 1882 & 1885.

https://www.earlywiganrugby.co.uk/1879-1895/cherrywhite

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pyjamarama said:

There's an interesting article at the very end of the "Cherry & White" section of the "Early Wigan Rugby" website & virtual museum, which clearly disputes the story that Wigan borrowed a set of cherry & white shirts from Leigh.

It also mentions that the Leigh club disbanded in 1882 & didn't exist between 1882 & 1885.

Interesting.  Irrespective of any of that both clubs generally seemed to wear red and white, certainly up to the Super League ... although my memory tells me that Wigan would wear cherry in Challenge Cup Finals.  Was Murphy wearing cherry and white when when he winked at Sid Hynes as he was stretchered off?

1 hour ago, Pyjamarama said:

A second team sprung up in Leigh in 1881/2 taking with them a number of 'Leigh' players which caused issues but the 2 clubs went back to being one very quickly and in 1886 went through the season unbeaten. That may be how in 85 we borrowed you a kit as 2 teams became 1 again

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

A second team sprung up in Leigh in 1881/2 taking with them a number of 'Leigh' players which caused issues but the 2 clubs went back to being one very quickly and in 1886 went through the season unbeaten. That may be how in 85 we borrowed you a kit as 2 teams became 1 again

Ah right!  I just thought that it was interesting that the evidence presented in the website does appear to disprove the 'borrowed kit' story. Maybe you have evidence which contradicts this. If so, fair play. 
It would be nice to see it & perhaps get the said website corrected (as invited to do by the website itself). 

4 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Original Northern Union shirt was red, yellow and white stripes with I think white shorts and navy socks. 

Think one of the Leeds Unis did some kind of spectral analysis on an old photo and found the yellow in the shirt, everyone presumed it was just red and white hoops. 

quality strip

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pyjamarama said:

Ah right!  I just thought that it was interesting that the evidence presented in the website does appear to disprove the 'borrowed kit' story. Maybe you have evidence which contradicts this. If so, fair play. 
It would be nice to see it & perhaps get the said website corrected (as invited to do by the website itself). 

If never proven either way - all are dead now - then it just keeps the banter alive.

52 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

On a side note I’d love England to adopt GB colour and badge. Would be better than England current identity 

Yes.  There is no reason why the blue can be somewhat less prominent  than the red. 

And England Football have 3 lions, so England could easily have 1.

But remembering 1966 and all that, I do not see why we cannot wear all red jerseys of some classy' striking design.  Assuming it has to have a V though, I wonder what colour that should be.

(I see I am getting drawn into kit designs, I must be getting old)

9 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

PHWOAR!!!

• Haha 1